What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

So... uh... hrm...

My transfer finally got approved. Moving to Portland Oregon the first week of October.

Need to figure out where though. Probably means a decent commute given that the new job is going to be in the dead center of Downtown Portland. And I'm not 100 on my budget given they're giving me a small pay raise to cover cost of living (to 15 an hour, from fourteen.... but for context, I normally pull 50+ hour weeks and have earned about 30k to date this year gross mostly due to overtime)

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't get the unsalted, because I think I'd probably put in too much salt myself making up for the bland flavor.

Perhaps it was different brands, but I found that the "no salt added" actually had higher sodium than the "low sodium" broths. Just make sure to check the label regardless.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sadly Gromnir is right, the best way to make a healthy soup is to buy the low sodium broth.   :p

I use Kitchen Basics, but really anything other than Swanson is a good choice, just check out the salt content.  I don't get the unsalted, because I think I'd probably put in too much salt myself making up for the bland flavor.  I know Gromnir loves to make it himself, but when he explained the whole process a few years ago in the cooking thread its sounded like a lot of work! 

My easiest soup is Cauliflower Soup which is really just as simple as it gets.  I tend to throw some romano or other sharp cheese on top to give it some character, and there are a lot of tweaks you can do to it.

My favorite is Leek Potato Soup (I love Alton Brown.)  This one is a bit heartier.  I leave out the buttermilk, and I think my wife puts a dollop of sour cream.  You can play with the recipe a bit.

Both of these are great for dipping a bit of bread.  I'm ready for winter now.   :)

I'll second that Kitchen Basics makes the best-tasting chicken stock that you can find in most grocery stores.  I haven't done thorough brand comparisons with beef/veg/fish/etc. stocks.

Also, you can improve any store-bought stock significantly by simply simmering it for a little while with some basic aromatics and herbs.  That is, half an onion, a carrot, a few ribs of celery, and a fistful of fresh parsley and/or thyme (or the stems from herbs you've already used up), all of which you strain out before using the stock as indicated in the soup recipe.  If you're going to be serious about making soup-- or anything else, really-- these are all staples that you should have in your kitchen (or herb garden) at all times.  It won't taste quite like homemade, but it'll be noticeably closer. 

Lastly, Hurl, your last 2 links both go to the same place.  I suspect the final one was supposed to go here instead. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Sadly Gromnir is right, the best way to make a healthy soup is to buy the low sodium broth.   :p

I use Kitchen Basics, but really anything other than Swanson is a good choice, just check out the salt content.  I don't get the unsalted, because I think I'd probably put in too much salt myself making up for the bland flavor.  I know Gromnir loves to make it himself, but when he explained the whole process a few years ago in the cooking thread its sounded like a lot of work! 

My easiest soup is Cauliflower Soup which is really just as simple as it gets.  I tend to throw some romano or other sharp cheese on top to give it some character, and there are a lot of tweaks you can do to it.

My favorite is Leek Potato Soup (I love Alton Brown.)  This one is a bit heartier.  I leave out the buttermilk, and I think my wife puts a dollop of sour cream.  You can play with the recipe a bit.

Both of these are great for dipping a bit of bread.  I'm ready for winter now.   :)

I don't often make soup, but when I do I usually make my own broth, then add a boatload of 1042-259286-product_OXO_chicken-in-a-mug.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't often make soup, but when I do I usually make my own broth, then add a boatload of 1042-259286-product_OXO_chicken-in-a-mug.

We get OXO is a spread format that you use on Toast, I have never ever seen this " OXO In-a-Mug" before.

I am always interested how different food products produced by global companies, like Knorr,  are sometimes unique to certain countries  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

never seen that type of knorr  before. i only know of cubes for soups and powder of roast meat

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Due to a number of issues, from being ditched alone in Germany to being too involved with taking care of getting a prosthetic leg that doesn't cause pain to travels back and forth between countries, etc etc, I had not been to a dentist in 9 years. Kept putting it off or kept being something I couldn't do.

Today I went expecting the worst. 15 mins later I was out of there.

"Huh. Your teeth look great. Just a little plaque to clean, but otherwise they're in great condition."

Completely in shock. Apparently I'm a dental hygiene pro. Won't be waiting that long again, but still wtf.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The 2-year-old (2-and-a-half today, actually) has had some trouble being dropped off at daycare for the past couple days, which has never really been a huge deal for him in the past.  He's been extra irritable because he's got 2 molars coming in, which are costing him some sleep.  According to his teachers, he calms down after I've left and is relatively normal for the rest of the day.  They also brought him by the infants room to visit his almost-4-month-old brother (who started in the daycare on Monday), which helped him calm down. 

Still, yesterday evening, I asked him what he did at school that day, and the only summary he could come up with was "I gave daddy a big hug, and he went away, and I was sad."  ;(

In other news, I am further frustrated by the scheduling difficulties that keep interfering with my gaming group.  It's being done over video-chat, intended to run for a couple hours in the evening as frequently as weekly, but, in practice, much less often.  The GM is a co-worker who also has a toddler, so in-person sessions have become somewhat un-workable.  Anyhow, he is running us through Basic D&D Mystara modules, re-worked for a Pathfinder ruleset, which has been a lot of fun-- a good combination of nerd-culture history and nostalgia, spiced up with all the near-broken ruleset-sprawl that is Pathfinder. 

The problem is those pesky non-parents in the group.  They're all "I have to work nights sometimes" and "I'm taking a trip to Iceland" and "I do things in the evening beyond simply putting the kids to bed at 7:30 and collapsing on the couch!"   :lol:  The session that was supposed to be last night is now going to be next Monday.  For now.  Someday we'll recover the Eye of Traldar, but I think my kids might be rolling up characters before we get there...

*chuckle*

am recalling when our grandfather decided we should at least attempt public school.  almost two hour bus ride each way, and our interpersonal skills were clear deficient when dealing with angry little kids who were getting daily indoctrination from parents who did not much approve o' the reservation located adjacent to their respectable community.  our first school experience weren't toddler, but we were kindergarten or first grade... am not actual certain as the experiment didn't last too long.  regardless, we came home and our grandfather asked us how were school.  am not recalling our answer, but it were, for all intents and purposes, "I gave daddy a big hug, and he went away, and I was sad."

the next day we didn't need go to school.  instead we were directed to do all o' our least favorite chores, including cleaning out horse stalls.  ankle deep in horse and pig sh1t for hours.  grandfather then asks if we wanna go to school tomorrow, or stay home and do more chores-- were our choice.  

school, please.

such parenting might explain a few o' our personality quirks.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Today is my second day in classes and I've really hit it off with a girl. She's really cool and I'll probably hang out with her this weekend.

I worked out today. Currently looking for good back excersizes, preferably dumbell or barbell. Currently have rows, good mornings, and pulldowns in rotation but am looking to add a couple more.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Won a 65 inch TV in a contest at work, so going to sell it I think. Just need to find a buyer

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Started making my own 12 gauge shotgun rounds. A lot of fun because you can assemble pretty ungodly anti-dinosaur rounds, you can go completely overboard with it and still be safe pressure-wise.  :devil:

650 grains ( 1 1/2 oz) Lyman shotgun slugs loaded HOT. Heavier and hotter than anything you get commercially. Those shoot through a 45  centimeter thick tree no problem. And I have even hotter stuff in development. *cackles manically* 

slugs3_zpsef8zl2ru.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

My first day in Oregon will be October 5th. Gonna be interesting and a touch taxing to move across the us

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My first day in Oregon will be October 5th. Gonna be interesting and a touch taxing to move across the us

You can do it mate (said the restless itinerant) :thumbsup:

Slightly similar situation, handing in notices for this and that, cancelling my tenancy, utilities etc. while looking for an apartment in Brisbane and checking flight tickets to same place.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Started making my own 12 gauge shotgun rounds. A lot of fun because you can assemble pretty ungodly anti-dinosaur rounds, you can go completely overboard with it and still be safe pressure-wise.  :devil:

650 grains ( 1 1/2 oz) Lyman shotgun slugs loaded HOT. Heavier and hotter than anything you get commercially. Those shoot through a 45  centimeter thick tree no problem. And I have even hotter stuff in development. *cackles manically* 

Wooldan! Welcome back :)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Had an extra spicy sausage from the donut shop for breakfast. At some point I touched my face.

Feels like I was maced in one eye.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ah. doesn't matter how is the rest o' the day 'cause we got our dammit jim! and dirty balls from the culinerdy cruzer. 

348s.jpg

as a side, we prefer hulk fries or brocodile for pretty much any other burger or sandwich on the menu, but the bleu cheese from the dammit jim! burger so perfect compliments the brussels sprouts that the combination is a no-brainer for Gromnir.

is good to indulge our more plebeian cravings from time-to-time. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Currently looking for good back excersizes, preferably dumbell or barbell. Currently have rows, good mornings, and pulldowns in rotation but am looking to add a couple more.

Try adding straight-leg deadlifts whenever you're hitting the back. For some reason, it's the only exercise that leaves me sore in the upper back. It's also a good idea not to deadlift on the same day you squat if you're already doing them, so you're hitting two birds with one stone.

You could also try eccentric pull-ups. Great for building... your pull-up strength.

Generally, don't bother finding different "exercises", but rather try different ways of doing the basic exercises you already are familiar with. Play around with tempos, rest times, eccentric/concentric focus, etc.

Good luck.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Front squats is also an excellent auxiliary back exercise everybody should do. 

As for squats and deadlifts on the same day - I agree buuut - I always throw in squats on my deadlift day. After having done my 5 sets of deadlifts I do 3-4 sets of squats because I want a higher frequency on squats. After deadlifts my core is warmed up and I have enough power left in my tank to do a couple sets of heavy squats.  I need 3-4 days between deadlift-day and squat day in order to go full power which hurts frequency and slows things down quite a bit, but if I do squats on deadlift day AND squat day I can up the efficiency a LOT.

And my working sets are 216kg (476lbs), so I'm not saving energy for squats,   ;)

deadliftmich_zpsugk3ov3k.png

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Need to learn to be less well-mannered.

And people should have to watch Princess Bride in school to learn about the difference between what people say and what people mean.

So she says no, she doesn't want to go out. Fair enough. A bit annoyed with all the mixed signals until then, I thank her for the (finally) clear answer. And that should be that. She goes her way and I go mine (which would include playing some Mordheim, naturally).

Then she sends me a message with birthday wishes. *sigh* And a bit more eloquent than the usual happy birthday exclamation mark exclamation mark. Now being well mannered I thank her and return wishes of my own. What to wish though? Idea! Have a great vacation, and let me know how you liked the island. Seeing how she knows I have often gone there myself.

Of course in the same way as Farmboy says "as you wish" and means "I love you", I said "let me know" and meant "go away". Which I expected her to do anyway, since she is the person who did not want to go out.

Two weeks later she sends me a message about her vacations. *sigh* And asks how I have been.

I reply courteously to the vacation part and say "So I take it you have returned". Which was again not really meant to engender a reply. Got one anyway. *Double sigh*

Seriously, ladies, if someone asks you out, feel free to say no. It's no big deal. Most of us will have both heard it before and said it before ourselves. It is normal for two people not to share attraction.

But if you have turned someone down, they don't really need to be informed if you are back from the trip, visiting your parents etc.

/end rant

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Maybe she wants to stay friends or something. Or she turned you down because of "initial shock" and later somewhat regretted it? :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Seriously, ladies, if someone asks you out, feel free to say no. It's no big deal. Most of us will have both heard it before and said it before ourselves. It is normal for two people not to share attraction.

But if you have turned someone down, they don't really need to be informed if you are back from the trip, visiting your parents etc.

/end rant

By the same token, if you don't want to be friends with someone, you can just tell them or even merely just begin to ignore them, too.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.