What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

Not to be a double downer, but I lost my goddaughter over the weekend, a six-year old mini red dachshund. She was tossed down the stairs by a two-year old human, compressing her spine and subsequently euthanized late Saturday. If I stop crying it will be sometime in 2017.

Thats terrible, sorry to hear  ;(

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not to be a double downer, but I lost my goddaughter over the weekend, a six-year old mini red dachshund. She was tossed down the stairs by a two-year old human, compressing her spine and subsequently euthanized late Saturday. If I stop crying it will be sometime in 2017.

Wow that is awful. Shame said human is too small to safely smack around.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow that is awful. Shame said human is too small to safely smack around.

said human is incapable o' understanding why and how what they did were wrong. is not 'til ~10 years o' age that children have brain development to genuine understand right and wrong.  takes even longer to get genuine empathy and a fully developed sense o' morality.  children looks like little people, but they ain't. children, particularly young children, is sociopaths.  parents tend to project qualities onto their kids that do not exist. the notion o' a good child is somewhat meaningless.  a well-behaved child is possible, but good ain't an option 'til almost teens.

“there is nothing more atrociously cruel than an adored child.” --vladimir nabokov

its not their fault. they don't understand. even so...

regardless, am most saddened. when an innocent creature suffers due to the cruelty or thoughtlessness o' men (or children,) it is a tragedy.  pointless. meaningless. unnecessary. all too common. 

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My apartment has become the designated cat shelter. In addition to one of my roommate's cat which I have to take care of while he's out East for the weekend, my parents left their cat with me to take care of while they remodel their house. On top of that, my landlady left a cat for me to take care of for a few days while we try and find a new owner for her; her previous owner had decided to move back to Iran, only for her to be placed under house arrest upon returning (her family suspects that this was an effort to shake her down for a significant bribe due to her extended stay in the US). Where's LadyCrimson when you need her?

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

it must have been quite a fall for the dog to get so hurt. dogs are known for the toughness of their bones.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Dachshunds doesn't really have a body shape for much other that flat terrain.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

it must have been quite a fall for the dog to get so hurt. dogs are known for the toughness of their bones.

They are definitely tough, even the little ones. She survived more than a month after the incident.

The weird psychology of it is, her owner, my friend of twenty-five years, told me she 'fell'. I had known what actually happened since July.

Today was a good car day. Up close and personal with a silver VW e-Golf and a black Ferrari 430. 

All Stop. On Screen.

They are definitely tough, even the little ones. She survived more than a month after the incident.

The weird psychology of it is, her owner, my friend of twenty-five years, told me she 'fell'. I had known what actually happened since July.

Today was a good car day. Up close and personal with a silver VW e-Golf and a black Ferrari 430. 

You can see  your friend  not telling you the whole truth in a positive way, they may not have wanted to upset you because they care about you?

I have done that before, you dont want to unnecessarily upset someone due to a tragedy that cant be changed. So you tell them what you think will be less upsetting, when people do this they genuinely mean well...but it can be misunderstood and seen in a negative way 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You can see  your friend  not telling you the whole truth in a positive way, they may not have wanted to upset you because they care about you?

I have done that before, you dont want to unnecessarily upset someone due to a tragedy that cant be changed. So you tell them what you think will be less upsetting, when people do this they genuinely mean well...but it can be misunderstood and seen in a negative way 

Hmmm, minimizing your involvement in a situation and lying "to spare" the other party. Your humanity knows no limits BVC. :thumbsup:

I on the other hand would be pissed to know they tried to cover it up, but I'm a bastard like that. 

Hmmm, minimizing your involvement in a situation and lying "to spare" the other party. Your humanity knows no limits BVC. :thumbsup:

I on the other hand would be pissed to know they tried to cover it up, but I'm a bastard like that. 

Its actualy got nothing to with " minimizing your involvement ".....its not  about the friend trying to avoid anything 

The person doesn't tell the whole truth because the full truth will be more painful, or so they think,  and since the tragedy cant be changed why add to overall negative reality ?

John Milton 

Hang on I gotta write this stuff down:

It happened anyway so why own it?

Go on.

Let me try explain it a different way

Lets say when your daughter was 8 she had a puppy that she really loved. You take the dogs for a walk and sometimes you take the dogs into the bush and there is this very high  waterfall

One day your daughters dog accidently falls into the waterfall and drowns but it takes about 1 minute to drown before the water pulls it under and the whole time you have to hear the dog yelping in fear but eventually it succumbs to the strong water currents

Are you going to tell your daughter her dog suffered before it drowned? Wouldn't you actually lie, if she asked, and say something like   " your dog didn't suffer, it was  a terrible accident but it didnt know any fear before it drowned in the waterfall "

The story is just an analogy, the point being many of us do sometimes lie in life so as to not hurt someones feelings 

John Milton 

when our mother died, we were the only person present. for various reasons, our sister and father were not in attendence. no other friends, o' which she had many, gathered at her bedside.  Gromnir were not actual close with our mother, which made the whole situation odd. felt wrong that we should be the one to comfort her and to be witness to her death. she deserved better.

*shrug*

our mother did not "go gentle into that good night." were more than a couple hours o' tortured gasping, like a fish struggling on dry land. kinda horrible.  doctors finally give her increasing morphine that effective rendered her unconscious... while she continued to gasp.  the struggling became gradual less labored, and the gasping more shallow 'til finally, mercifully, she died.  took from dusk 'til mid afternoon the following day for our mother to die, and during a significant and unnecessary measure o' that span, all we saw on her face were pain and terrible fear. 

we did not share the whole truth with our father and sister.  to our family we explained pulmonary embolism and we described how the doctors gave mom pain meds to ease her passing.  we did not share the truth. never.

when we spoke at our mother's memorial service, and afterwards, we did not share the details. lies o' omission.

perhaps what we did were wrong. to hold back truth is not in our nature.  in hundreds o' other traumatic situations with clients and family, we has been brutal honest.  people deserve the truth. when our mother died, we believed that our family and her friends deserved the truth, but we chose instead to carry the dark reality o' it our self.  perhaps we were wrong to hide truth, but am certain our mother didn't want to be remembered for the suffering she need endure in her final day. we took the truth . is our burden.

don't know the dog owner's reasoning, but we obvious can't judge.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I am not sure that telling everyone that a 2-year old gravely injured a small dog serves any purpose.  The toddler isn't old enough to really learn from it or understand the consequences (outside of the initial moments, disciplining a toddler for their actions is ineffective.  Rather you need to demonstrate and reinforce proper behavior with pets continually.)  It's a tragic situation, I imagine the parent blames themselves more than anything else, and talking about it sucks.  Talking about it would seem to only build resentment towards the child, which is not fair in the least.

I am not sure that telling everyone that a 2-year old gravely injured a small dog serves any purpose.  The toddler isn't old enough to really learn from it or understand the consequences (outside of the initial moments, disciplining a toddler for their actions is ineffective.  Rather you need to demonstrate and reinforce proper behavior with pets continually.)  It's a tragic situation, I imagine the parent blames themselves more than anything else, and talking about it sucks.  Talking about it would seem to only build resentment towards the child, which is not fair in the least.

from Gromnir's earlier post 'bout brain development in children, we would not hold the crumb-snatcher responsible for the injury and subsequent death o' the dog. intellectually we would not hold the child responsible.  emotionally?  can't unknow.  would we treat the child different even knowing that the child was incapable o' understanding that what they did were wrong? would be difficult to treat child same as before knowing.

heck, knowing that gifted is a cowboys fan is difficult enough to overlook. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

Playing Division, mass effect 1-3, bunch of others I've forgotten, soon Deus Ex, listening to every inane stereotype about people with doctorates when somebody actually intervies me... Yawn.

That was the update, not for today, but for the past ~5 months.

• Like 6

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Playing Division, mass effect 1-3, bunch of others I've forgotten, soon Deus Ex, listening to every inane stereotype about people with doctorates when somebody actually intervies me... Yawn.

That was the update, not for today, but for the past ~5 months.

Welcome back, missed you. 

I am not sure that telling everyone that a 2-year old gravely injured a small dog serves any purpose. The toddler isn't old enough to really learn from it or understand the consequences (outside of the initial moments, disciplining a toddler for their actions is ineffective. Rather you need to demonstrate and reinforce proper behavior with pets continually.) It's a tragic situation, I imagine the parent blames themselves more than anything else, and talking about it sucks. Talking about it would seem to only build resentment towards the child, which is not fair in the least.

Well truth is truth. I don't need someone deciding what I need to know when it comes to some kid killing a dog, if it were me. I would probably want to throw the parent down the stairs if anyone, is their **** up.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hit the first anniversary of my mother's passing. I have to admit, I really did think I'd have managed to get somewhere by now.

Well I've been continue to hammer away on the attempt to get my life restarted and once more into the working world. Which keeps hitting a wall. I will also admit that I'm definitely sliding into that partially resentful feel over half my life having disappeared as her carer because it's left me in this position. Which then adds a touch of guilt because I recognise that resentment kicking in after the fact.

However, for the chance of doing something useful I'll be starting a work placement with a charity group for the next 8 weeks. What's supposed to be a mix of business, book keeping, research, marketing, minor IT stuff and bid writing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The boy has gotten into Minecraft. Now its all he wants to do. Him and his sister take turns tormenting each other by destroying what they have built. Its much more malicious than breakung a lego creation because you can't use the "it was an accident" excuse when systematically destroying a minecraft creation.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg