RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

M&B2 looks really good.  I would have settled for just a prettier M&B, but it looks like they spruced up a bit other parts of the game too.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Looks pretty good, nothing explosively changed but eh, don't think it needed any

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Out Of The Park Baseball 17 comes out on the 22nd. I've had every version since 8. Love it. This is a nice article about the biggest of the new features: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/a-hundred-thousand-ghosts-from-baseballs-golden-age-come-to-video-games/ar-BBqpoEm?li=BBnbfcL

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Dead Island 1 was a soul-numbing game solo. Though I can see how it could be fun with more players.

I played it a bit with a friend, and even then I've found it to be extremely unenjoyable. It's one of the games where I really thought not even a price tag of 2€ is worth it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Out Of The Park Baseball 17 comes out on the 22nd. I've had every version since 8. Love it. This is a nice article about the biggest of the new features: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/a-hundred-thousand-ghosts-from-baseballs-golden-age-come-to-video-games/ar-BBqpoEm?li=BBnbfcL

I remember loving that game until they changed the game mechanics that punished any pitcher that wasn't a strikeout pitcher or who walked a decent amount.  Pitchers like Tom Glavine or Bob Tewksbury got rocked every time I imported their seasons, even though in real life they had Cy Young caliber years.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Dead Island 1 was a soul-numbing game solo. Though I can see how it could be fun with more players.

I played it a bit with a friend, and even then I've found it to be extremely unenjoyable. It's one of the games where I really thought not even a price tag of 2€ is worth it.

I liked it single player when it was just Zombies.  But then they added superzombie types (exploding zombies?) late in the first area and the second area (or second and third?) and it just lost all appeal to me.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I remember loving that game until they changed the game mechanics that punished any pitcher that wasn't a strikeout pitcher or who walked a decent amount.  Pitchers like Tom Glavine or Bob Tewksbury got rocked every time I imported their seasons, even though in real life they had Cy Young caliber years.

It's come a long way over the years. The thing about historical games is the ratings for a player are based on their past but beginning on the day the game begins the AI determines their future. It has nothing to do with a straight historical re-enactment. I was playing the 1932 St. Louis Cardinals and Dazzy Vance tore his UCL and needed Tommy John surgery. The problems with that are Dazzy Vance was in Brooklyn by then, never tore his UCL, and even if he did he'd be through because the first Tommy John surgery wasn't done until 1974. It's not really for straight re-enactment because things will happen that never happened. But I still like the management aspects of it.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-07-the-division-datamined-at-least-26-missions-in-campaign

Some details on The Division. May end up playing this with my friends, then again that was The Plan for Guild Wars 2, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

edit2: damn didn't work. anyway, can anyone from the US get a code for DIvision outfits from this promotion? http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-us/agent-origins/ The best i could get was an email that is suppose to contain a code, but no code there. BUt i was playing around with proxys and all that. If anyone from US or Canada is willing to test it and gets the code, can you please gift it to me? PS4 version.

Edited by Majek
  • Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

news.xbox.com/2016/03/07/microsoft-studios-changes-uk-denmark/

Lionhead closed down. sad.png

At this point, I don't think much of value was truly lost here, as the studio was just a shell of its former self. A shame that the company's plans (perhaps dreams, more accurately) for their games were never fully realized, and that they're gone entirely now, though. The first time I played through Fable: The Lost Chapters many years ago, and my experimentation in Black & White, are good memories - although I knew next to nothing about the two games going in, which probably explains why I wasn't so horribly disappointed as so many others were. Still.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I liked it single player when it was just Zombies.  But then they added superzombie types (exploding zombies?) late in the first area and the second area (or second and third?) and it just lost all appeal to me.

They made the mistake to keep the cool weapons/blueprints from you until near the end of the game (keeping the good stuff for too long seems rather common, or maybe that is because when they start cutting content it's near the ending first...?). That's when the game got truly enjoyable for us (never made it far in single player because, yeah, tedious). The first and especially the second area were rather unappealing, after that things improved but that's a very long slog to go through to get to the good (better?) bits...

news.xbox.com/2016/03/07/microsoft-studios-changes-uk-denmark/

Lionhead closed down. sad.png

At this point, I don't think much of value was truly lost here, as the studio was just a shell of its former self. A shame that the company's plans (perhaps dreams, more accurately) for their games were never fully realized, and that they're gone entirely now, though. The first time I played through Fable: The Lost Chapters many years ago, and my experimentation in Black & White, are good memories - although I knew next to nothing about the two games going in, which probably explains why I wasn't so horribly disappointed as so many others were. Still.

I didn't really follow the hype as much so I enjoyed pretty much everything they did, even The Movies and Fable 3, though Fable 3 was disappointing. When trying to decide between Xbone and PS4 the Fable franchise was one of the points in Xbone's favour... maybe not anymore.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Sinking City is a new exploration based Lovecraftian open world game:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-08-the-sinking-city-is-a-promising-open-world-investigation-lovecraftian-game

Screens look really good.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• Like 1

• Like 1

I have a question. Let me preface it with something. I love storytelling, and find its potential (although squandered a lot) in video games interesting. However, many people don't care about it, but many here do for obvious reasons (Obsidian's stock and trade). However, we have 2 RPGs being remade at present (This and FF7), and they are being made from the ground up. They are getting new engines, new combat, etc. Why completely change the combat?

These two games were halmarked for their story, for sure. However, FF had solid combat as it was, and I enjoyed the Kotor games combat, personally. These two titles are going to have a pretty large audience based on the players of the original titles, but I don't see either completely blowing the doors off local game stops or shutting down steam. So changing their combat really is just going to ostracize the people who may buy the product for sentimental reasons while incredibly risky because they aren't too likely to pull in new players. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't understand it. I mean Kotor may sell because it's Star Wars, and FF because it's FF. I just don't understand not having similar combat to the original titles.

Maybe it's just me, and I'm old. It isn't unlike a movie reboot that treats an older IP unkindly. It just seems a strange trend as of late. I am not saying I won't play this, or knocking it for what it is. I am genuinely curious as to other people's opinion on why the need to change the combat completely.

• Like 1

However, we have 2 RPGs being remade at present (This and FF7), and they are being made from the ground up. They are getting new engine new combat, etc. Why completely change the combat?

Unlike the FF remake, though, the KOTOR one isn't an official remake but a "mod" by fans.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And the combat was really, really, really, really ****. 

(But yes, I agree with you that big changes in any remake is a risky business for that reason.)

• Like 1

and I enjoyed the Kotor games combat, personally. 

kK69EfM.gif

To each their own, I guess.

I I thought the combat in KotOR wasn't just bad, it was horrendous.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

i didnt liked combat in it much, but I still prefer it to FPS game, sorry...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"