RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Some more news revealed about FFXV on PAX.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/29/final-fantasy-xv-details-on-how-youll-get-to-cruise-on-the-regalia/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/29/final-fantasy-xvs-leviathan-revealed-to-be-female-and-concept-art-details/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/29/final-fantasy-xvs-release-date-will-be-announced-in-march-2016/

The game will be definitely released in 2016, but the more info they show, the more I am afraid it will be another boring singleplayer MMO walking simulator with sucky action combat like Lightning Returns:FFXIII :(  Man it sold less copies then Bravely default on NDS for a reason FFS :(

As I know myself, I am sucker into this franchise, so I will probably cave in and buy it despite all the warning signs... But at this point I am more anticipating the new Star Ocean 5 game from SE...

IMO Namco Bandai already surpassed SE as a leading developer of true JRPGs with their Atelier and Tales of series, which makes me sad, but on the other hand, they gave me much more fun while playing their game in the last 5 years.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/29/final-fantasy-xv-details-on-how-youll-get-to-cruise-on-the-regalia/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/29/final-fantasy-xvs-leviathan-revealed-to-be-female-and-concept-art-details/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/29/final-fantasy-xvs-release-date-will-be-announced-in-march-2016/

The game will be definitely released in 2016, but the more info they show, the more I am afraid it will be another boring singleplayer MMO walking simulator with sucky action combat like Lightning Returns:FFXIII :( Man it sold less copies then Bravely default on NDS for a reason FFS :(

As I know myself, I am sucker into this franchise, so I will probably cave in and buy it despite all the warning signs... But at this point I am more anticipating the new Star Ocean 5 game from SE...

IMO Namco Bandai already surpassed SE as a leading developer of true JRPGs with their Atelier and Tales of series, which makes me sad, but on the other hand, they gave me much more fun while playing their game in the last 5 years.

The last FF game I liked was X, but IX was the last really good one.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Final Fantasy series is dead to me at this point.  I haven't been following XV at all.  I don't know what it's about and I don't care.  I kind of wish I has a 3DS so that I could play Bravely Default and its sequel.  From the little bit I played, those games seem a lot more Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy at this point, if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I need to get back on Bravely Default.  It is very classic FF in its way, but I keep getting distracted by other games, reading, television, life in general, etc.

As someone who played every game up to X, I've been rather uninterested in the direction the series took.  I look at each new iteration in the hopes that it'll be something I'm interested in but so far...its not.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Google tells me a truckton of people are having issues with MGS5 - mainly, the game crashes on startup. And I belong to the group of worthy people. Guess that's it with playing MGS5 today... Let's see when and if there will be a patch for that. Patching of Ground Zeroes was pretty low-priority, if I remember right.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The game will be definitely released in 2016, but the more info they show, the more I am afraid it will be another boring singleplayer MMO walking simulator with sucky action combat like Lightning Returns:FFXIII :( Man it sold less copies then Bravely default on NDS for a reason FFS :(

The last FF game I liked was X, but IX was the last really good one.

I loved IX a lot. I actually played it after X and X-2. When I played FFXII second time, to my surprise I somehow found it enjoyable as well. First playthrough was boring and I hated the gambit system. It looked like MMO to me.

XIII was mediocre, but still I have kind of liked the game... There must be something wrong with me... XIII-2 was much better game, and I enjoyed it a lot. But Lightning Returns?... Even bigger disappointment for me than the Original Campaign of Neverwinter Nights... I wish I could forget about it :(

The Final Fantasy series is dead to me at this point.  I haven't been following XV at all.  I don't know what it's about and I don't care.  I kind of wish I has a 3DS so that I could play Bravely Default and its sequel.  From the little bit I played, those games seem a lot more Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy at this point, if that makes any sense.

Yes it makes sense, I feel the same, and from what I heard, lot of Final Fantasy fans as well...

Well if it is fan service to the typical tea-bagging Halo players, I will gladly pass the game :)

Not much gaming news, but related.

If you care about it, MS have stealthily pushed "Win10-like" updates to Win 7 and 8, which might infringe on your privacy.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/09/microsoft-accused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

Edited by Mamoulian War

I hate updating Windows because none of the Windows updates (...for actual WIndows) ever say what they actually do, so you have to look each one up. I also have never use automatic updates for anything if I can avoid it. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I updated Windows for my dad (well, rescued the WinX installation; he had 1.5GB of space on his root drive, and he's supposed to be fairly tech savvy...) and found the number of 'would you like to send Microsoft your entire hard disk?'/ 'OK, just most of your hard disk' type settings to be outright funny considering that I know most people will just go for the default 'oh, your hard drive and all your keystrokes, friends, online information, fingerprints plus DNA sample, sounds good!'.

I am surprised that MS hasn't done it previous- Google, Apple etc have been doing it for ages- and it's pretty much inevitable considering how much the typical tablet/ phone user gives away for free and their degree of lock in and walled gardening.

Better back Linux it's the coming thing let's all switch just like we've all switched every year for the past decade or so.

If you care about it, MS have stealthily pushed "Win10-like" updates to Win 7 and 8, which might infringe on your privacy.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/09/microsoft-accused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

Oh crap, i just installed some updates day or two ago for my W7, I hope Valve will speed up their linux OS so i can get rid of M$ trash

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Oh crap, i just installed some updates day or two ago for my W7, I hope Valve will speed up their linux OS so i can get rid of M$ trash

tl;dr version: If you're looking for a console-like experience, SteamOS works great.  If you want a full-fledged desktop, you're better off using a different Linux distro

Full version: SteamOS already exists, has for a while now, as for whether it's ready for prime time, that part I'm not sure of.  The last time I tried it, which was sometime very early this year I found the actual implementation of Steam Big Picture Mode to work quite well.  If all I was looking to do was to use it like a console, then it was good to go back then, it worked great.  What I didn't like was their desktop implementation.  It used (likely still does) GNOME 3 by default, a desktop environment I don't particularly like (keep in mind that this is a personal preference, lots of people like GNOME 3 just fine) and the default selection of software available, while sufficient for most tasks, was rather minimal (as a long time Linux user, I'm used to having a billion choices for all standard desktop programs readily available at my fingertips out of the box).  I couldn't install my beloved XFCE desktop because it wasn't in their official repos, so I had to add repos myself, then repos for other programs I wanted.  Then I altered lines in config files to make sure SteamOS chose official SteamOS repos over the repos I installed myself, since there may have been some overlap and I wanted to make sure I didn't run into version mismatch problems (probably an unnecessary step, but a safeguard).  It was at this point that the thought occurred to me: Why jump through hoops to get a desktop I like in SteamOS when I can just use Xubuntu and have a desktop I like out of the box and only do a little bit of tweaking to dial it in just so?

Anyway, I am curious to give it another shot, just to see how it has progressed in the half a year or so since I last tried it.  I would expect their official repos are probably a lot more robust now, so there would be a lot less adding of 3rd part repos necessary.  I'll likely install it on my laptop (which I barely use these days) to see how it's progressed, since I'd have to resize partitions to make room on my desktop to set it up in its own partition, and I'd rather not do that when I can just pop it on my laptop and then later replace it with a clean installation of another Linux distro (there is nothing much of value on my lappy, so I don't need to take careful care to avoid writing over home partitions or anything).

My own experiences with SteamOS (granted, a while ago) was that it worked quite well as a console OS.  It booted straight into Steam Big Picture Mode and playing games was quick, easy, and seamless, just like you'd expect from a console.  It had more or less the same limited computer functionality that modern consoles have, plus a little more, so compared to PS4 or XBone (yes, I still call it that, I refuse to change) or Wii U, it compares quite well.  As a full fledged desktop, while it can be made to work, you're much better off just installing one of the other Linux distros of your choice in whatever variant you desire (one of the Ununtu, Linux Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch, etc.) and simply installing Steam.  Whatever performance improvements Valve make to the Linux kernel to maximize game performance will always get backported into the kernels other popular Linux distros, such is the way of open source.

Hopefully Steam Machines officially coming out in a couple months further pushes publishers and developers to port existing games to Linux and, more importantly, develop for Linux from the get go, so that it become s a more viable gaming platform.  It has made great strides since GabeN, our Lord and Saviour, has put his conductor hat on and started driving the Linux gaming train, but it's still far more limited than Windows in terms of choice.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

tl;dr version: If you're looking for a console-like experience, SteamOS works great.  If you want a full-fledged desktop, you're better off using a different Linux distro

Full version: SteamOS already exists, has for a while now, as for whether it's ready for prime time, that part I'm not sure of.  The last time I tried it, which was sometime very early this year I found the actual implementation of Steam Big Picture Mode to work quite well.  If all I was looking to do was to use it like a console, then it was good to go back then, it worked great.  What I didn't like was their desktop implementation.  It used (likely still does) GNOME 3 by default, a desktop environment I don't particularly like (keep in mind that this is a personal preference, lots of people like GNOME 3 just fine) and the default selection of software available, while sufficient for most tasks, was rather minimal (as a long time Linux user, I'm used to having a billion choices for all standard desktop programs readily available at my fingertips out of the box).  I couldn't install my beloved XFCE desktop because it wasn't in their official repos, so I had to add repos myself, then repos for other programs I wanted.  Then I altered lines in config files to make sure SteamOS chose official SteamOS repos over the repos I installed myself, since there may have been some overlap and I wanted to make sure I didn't run into version mismatch problems (probably an unnecessary step, but a safeguard).  It was at this point that the thought occurred to me: Why jump through hoops to get a desktop I like in SteamOS when I can just use Xubuntu and have a desktop I like out of the box and only do a little bit of tweaking to dial it in just so?

Anyway, I am curious to give it another shot, just to see how it has progressed in the half a year or so since I last tried it.  I would expect their official repos are probably a lot more robust now, so there would be a lot less adding of 3rd part repos necessary.  I'll likely install it on my laptop (which I barely use these days) to see how it's progressed, since I'd have to resize partitions to make room on my desktop to set it up in its own partition, and I'd rather not do that when I can just pop it on my laptop and then later replace it with a clean installation of another Linux distro (there is nothing much of value on my lappy, so I don't need to take careful care to avoid writing over home partitions or anything).

My own experiences with SteamOS (granted, a while ago) was that it worked quite well as a console OS.  It booted straight into Steam Big Picture Mode and playing games was quick, easy, and seamless, just like you'd expect from a console.  It had more or less the same limited computer functionality that modern consoles have, plus a little more, so compared to PS4 or XBone (yes, I still call it that, I refuse to change) or Wii U, it compares quite well.  As a full fledged desktop, while it can be made to work, you're much better off just installing one of the other Linux distros of your choice in whatever variant you desire (one of the Ununtu, Linux Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch, etc.) and simply installing Steam.  Whatever performance improvements Valve make to the Linux kernel to maximize game performance will always get backported into the kernels other popular Linux distros, such is the way of open source.

Hopefully Steam Machines officially coming out in a couple months further pushes publishers and developers to port existing games to Linux and, more importantly, develop for Linux from the get go, so that it become s a more viable gaming platform.  It has made great strides since GabeN, our Lord and Saviour, has put his conductor hat on and started driving the Linux gaming train, but it's still far more limited than Windows in terms of choice.

Hmm not sure how i feel about that. Not that I use my PC for much more than gaming, internet, media player and occasional word/excel work but what is Steam Big picture mode?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hmm not sure how i feel about that. Not that I use my PC for much more than gaming, internet, media player and occasional word/excel work but what is Steam Big picture mode?

The official word on it

It's a full screen implementation of Steam aimed at being navigated with a controller and used on a TV (you can still use your mouse, mind you), like a console.

SteamOS is not meant to replace Windows, at least it wasn't in the state I tried a while ago, it's meant to be a console OS with some desktop functionality.  With some wrench work it can be made to be a full fledged desktop, but there are other Linux distros much better suited to that task.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

British Museum had an gaming exhibition!

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/09/hearthstone-exhibited-as-modern-art-at-the-va-museum-in-london/

We're slowly getting there! :-P

tl;dw version:  Overall solid and with good performance.  Didn't run at launch on some older CPUs missing an instruction set, an issue that may or may not have been resolved by now.  Some minore annoyances such as missing mouse control in menus.  Otherwise, it runs pretty well

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Man they churn these out quick.  It seems like only a couple years ago the first one came out, now there's like a dozen.  Are they any good?  I haven't owned a Sony platform since PS2, so I have no hands-on experience with them.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, it is very special kind of game :-P. It is Japan comedy with lot of pantyshots, but I actually enjoyed the gameplay.

There are only 3 games in main series though, and all of them have Vita remakes. Maybe that makes people think that they are soamming the releases on a daily basis.

Other games are just spinoffs, because people love the characters a lot.

There is no other game, where you play "flat and really dumb" main character :p So if you have problem with Japan being Japan, you will for sure hate the game.

First was fun, but it has strange gameplay mechanics. Second completely overhauled the combat system, and the third expanded on it. If you would like to try, either go for Hymerdymension mk2 first or just buy the trilogy compilation on one disc.

Either way, it is not game for everyone. Especially not for the the so called SJWs :-P

Btw, the Vita remakes might be available on Steam as well. If you do not mind the service.

tl;dw version:  Overall solid and with good performance.  Didn't run at launch on some older CPUs missing an instruction set, an issue that may or may not have been resolved by now.  Some minore annoyances such as missing mouse control in menus.  Otherwise, it runs pretty well

"some older CPUs" .. wouldn't call my CPU old yet. :>

At least I could fix it on day 1 with the beta patch. Also I was able to fix the horrible screen tearing yesterday (forcing vsync and tripple buffering via NVIDIA settings + setting the game to fullscreen mode). Other than that, the game runs 100% fluid on my machine. No stuttering or fps drops at all. Additionally, the game plays great with a 360 gamepad.

Phantom Pain plays exactly how I imagined it- Peace Walker with better graphics and less loading screens.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."