RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I wish they'd port Dragon's Crown to PC.

Ok

https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/641264964175532032

Lied right to my face.

Look, Grandma is old and can't tell the difference. It had Dragon on the name, you should be grateful that you're getting that for New Years.

Now go play with your Go Bots and don't tell Grandpa that you wanted Transformers.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Star Citizen's Squadron 42 cast - http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-features-gary-oldman-gillian-anderson-mark-hamill/

Gary Oldman - Batman / Fifth Element / Tinker Tailor Solider Spy

Mark Hamill - Star Wars / Batman [Joker]

Mark Strong - Kingsmen / Sherlock Holmes / Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Gillian Anderson - X-Files

Liam Cunningham - Game Of Thrones [Davos] / Wind That Shakes the Barley / Dr Who

Andy Serkis - Lord of the Rings / Planet of the Apes

John Rhys Davies - Lord of the Rings [Gimli], Indiana Jones [sallah]

Rhona Mitra - Shooter / Underworld

Sophie Wu - Kick Ass

Ben Mendelsohn - Dark Knight Rises [Daggett]

Jack Huston - Broadwalk Empire [Harrow]

Gemma Whelan - Game of Thrones [Yara]

Harry Treadaway - Control

Also

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Have I seen 2016 in the end of the trailer????

*drools*

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

SC trailer looks cool. Now if they could get the flight model of the game to not play like crap... Supposedly an update on that flight model is coming, and hinted to be the first of many changes. We will see. If so, I may boot the alpha up for the first time in months.

SC trailer looks cool. Now if they could get the flight model of the game to not play like crap... Supposedly an update on that flight model is coming, and hinted to be the first of many changes. We will see. If so, I may boot the alpha up for the first time in months.

What was wrong with it ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What was wrong with it ?
The maneuvering thrusters are just as powerful as the main thrusters. So, the gameplay is strafing up, down, left, and right while using gimbals to fire at your target. It is incredibly fast paced, and aim intensive, because of this. It has been said it plays like a "FPS in space."

Coupled with the "realistic physics" that have you sliding around... It is very tiring to me. Ymmv.

Keep in mind that I have a full CH Products (stick, throttle, and pedals) setup. The game is far easier to play with a simple mouse and keyboard. I am completely biased here as a byproduct of using those peripherals.

If you are just going to use mouse and keyboard you may be fine with the game as it is at present.

Edit: As I said, they have changes to the flight model coming. Supposedly.

Also, the mouse controls gimbaled weapons like a normal cursor. While sticks can only aim ahead of their trajectory. It creates a huge imbalance. This last bit is only relevant if you are interested in PvP, though.

Edited by Ganrich

Star Citizen's Squadron 42 cast - http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-features-gary-oldman-gillian-anderson-mark-hamill/

Gary Oldman - Batman / Fifth Element / Tinker Tailor Solider Spy

Mark Hamill - Star Wars / Batman [Joker]

Mark Strong - Kingsmen / Sherlock Holmes / Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Gillian Anderson - X-Files

Liam Cunningham - Game Of Thrones [Davos] / Wind That Shakes the Barley / Dr Who

Andy Serkis - Lord of the Rings / Planet of the Apes

John Rhys Davies - Lord of the Rings [Gimli], Indiana Jones [sallah]

Rhona Mitra - Shooter / Underworld

Sophie Wu - Kick Ass

Ben Mendelsohn - Dark Knight Rises [Daggett]

Jack Huston - Broadwalk Empire [Harrow]

Gemma Whelan - Game of Thrones [Yara]

Harry Treadaway - Control

Also

Gotta admit, if I'd funded it I'd be pretty mad that they spent that much money on voice-acting.  None of those people could have come cheap.

• Like 1

What was wrong with it ?
The maneuvering thrusters are just as powerful as the main thrusters. So, the gameplay is strafing up, down, left, and right while using gimbals to fire at your target. It is incredibly fast paced, and aim intensive, because of this. It has been said it plays like a "FPS in space."

Coupled with the "realistic physics" that have you sliding around... It is very tiring to me. Ymmv.

Keep in mind that I have a full CH Products (stick, throttle, and pedals) setup. The game is far easier to play with a simple mouse and keyboard. I am completely biased here as a byproduct of using those peripherals.

If you are just going to use mouse and keyboard you may be fine with the game as it is at present.

Edit: As I said, they have changes to the flight model coming. Supposedly.

Also, the mouse controls gimbaled weapons like a normal cursor. While sticks can only aim ahead of their trajectory. It creates a huge imbalance. This last bit is only relevant if you are interested in PvP, though.

That's one of the things that cannot ever go right in any game. If you offer both keyboard/mouse and joystick controls, one of the two control schemes will suffer, and it might as well be uttely devastating, especially in PVP or higher PVE campaign difficulties (assuming there will be difficulty levels). Either those with joysticks will stand no chance because the game's pace is too fast and favors free aiming with a mouse, which is simply put the superior pointing device in such a situation or it plays more like a sim and the mouse controls are so crap you can't even begin to use them - think Privateer 2 or the original X-Wing or TIE Fighter.

This also applies to gamepads and is the primary reason why game developers won't let them console peasants play shooters with their PC masters. They pretend that it is about costs (*cough* Destiny *cough*) while in reality the console heroes would have their arses kicked to the moon and back and the game would be impossible to balance in PVP and co-op PVE. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yes, and no. The few space sims that came later, and supported M&K on top of joysticks were fairly balanced. Even Elite Dangerous (a cousin to Star Citizen) is incredibly balanced between Hotas and M&K. Titanfall on PC initiated aim assist on PC if analog input was being used, and was pretty balanced. Star Citizen isn't close to balanced. They are following War Thunder, and it will lead to a split server or a lot of irritated players... Just like War Thunder.

The problem is the gimbals move instantly like a mouse cursor. They don't have slew rates. As a byproduct the ships have to turn on a dime, and start/stop on one as well, to give people using fixed weapons a chance. This has thrown out the "real life physics" (a core promise of the Kickstarter campaign) in order to have an attempt at balance. Not even to mention that instant gimbal slew rates is a physics breaking mechanic to begin with.

Mice use something called Interactive Mode (IM) which basically has the ship follow where the gimbals are pointing. Basically like Freelancer. Something we (early backers) were promised wouldn't be the case. There are quotes saying the game would play like Wing Commander, and not like Freelancer. They specifically said "no freelancer controls." Joysticks control gimbals via Look Ahead Mode (LAM) which pushes the gimbals ahead of the ships trajectory. Another discrepancy is that IM covers nearly the entire screen while LAM only moves halfwayish from the center of the screen to the edge. The 2 systems are completely different gameplay types. That creates an near impossibility to balance.

I would also like to say that if mice had lower skill floor, but a lower ceiling while joysticks had a higher floor and higher ceiling... I would be fine. However, we have mice and keyboard as a lower skill floor (easier barrier to entry) and it performs better at the top skill levels (lower ceiling). While Hotas have a higher floor and ceiling meaning they are harder to learn and even at peak won't reach equal footing.

I wouldn't have any issue if the Devs hadnt said "no freelancer." I wouldn't have had issue if they hadn't been funded on KS initially by the very Hotas users that loved Wing Commander because that is the game most referenced during the initial campaign, and now those backers are being kind of hung out to dry.

So we have fudged real life physics and Freelancer gameplay. 2 major broken promises from the initial campaign.

Even if you take the aim issue out of the equation the flight system is borked. It doesn't use real life physics. Ships turn instantly where as in space it wouldn't be nearly as responsive. Ships have speed caps... Something else that wouldn't be the case. Using your boost only works during acceleration, and has no function at top speed. The little thrusters have equal power to the giant engine sticking out the back because "that engine is just for when jumping to warp speed" (can't remember what they are calling it in SC). So many gamey things done to the physics yet we cannot use those things to give some balance to control input. It is a bit sad.

Don't get me wrong... I am glad this ambitious game is being made, and although I think the Dereck Smart stuff is BS, it isn't all sunshine and roses like many of the SC press releases make it seem.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 1

Hate that it's Wii U exclusive. :(

Oh well, Hearts of Stone tomorrow.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hate that it's Wii U exclusive. :(

I feel your pain, even as a Wii U owner.  I just hate exclusives in general.

Us North America peasants don't even get a physical release, just digital, which really sucks as it's reportedly 16 GB.  It wouldn't be a problem if the Wii U didn't come with such a pathetically small HD.  I'm glad I have the 32 GB Wii U, I'd be boned if I had the 8 GB version (or would have to buy an external HD).  I guess the series has traditionally done poorly in NA, which is why only digital release here (meanwhile Europe gets a sweet collector's edition box). *sob* Oh well, I guess digital is better than nothing.  

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They've always had female operators though, just the weird casual outfit and the gimmicky stuff like projectile interception. To a lesser extent, they keep referring to units separately when that defeats the purpose of RAINBOW.

Ah, apparently they are modeled on MEK which does have guys not in uniform.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

I can't help but cringe whenever I hear someone say "em-kay". Mk is read "mark", god dammit  :banghead:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I can't help but cringe whenever I hear someone say "em-kay". Mk is read "mark", god dammit  :banghead:

Sorry we aren't all as operator as you, to know  proper nomenclature and how to load clips into assault rifles and whatnot.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not everyone is making a trailer about a military game, either.

• Like 3