RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I'm with Malc on this one.  If you're making a realistic military game with realistic military hardware, you should probably do your research and know the proper nomenclature.  I'm pretty anal retentive about little details like that and they bother the **** out of me if I catch them.  Heck, I'm by no means a military buff and even I know Mk stands for "mark".

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I can't help but cringe whenever I hear someone say "em-kay". Mk is read "mark", god dammit  :banghead:

Sorry we aren't all as operator as you, to know  proper nomenclature and how to load clips into assault rifles and whatnot.

I'm not someone who cares about much but this is one of those niggles because I would think that the lingo would be an easy box to check.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm with whoever is the sassiest. Go Orogun!

I wonder if the game will let me fire two AKs (pronounced 'ack') at the same time. One in each hand!

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's Ubisoft, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed you to dual wield M249s to complete the ruination of the series :p

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's Ubisoft, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed you to dual wield M249s to complete the ruination of the series :p

In fairness, dual wielding SAWs would be badass as hell.  ;)

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sorry we aren't all as operator as you, to know  proper nomenclature and how to load clips into assault rifles and whatnot.

the Japanese name their cars "Mark II", "Mark III" and so on. not strictly a military term, you know  :-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

So do american cars in some cases, eg Ford Cortinas had various mark numbers. Though I think they were 'export' rather than domestic US.

I can forgive saying em-kay for mark if it's written as MK rather than (the correct) Mk, especially since- per Tale- there is the very well known Avtomat Kalashnikova. But one thing I shall never, ever, forgive is the incorrect substitution of clip for magazine. Consider me, uh, triggered.

In other news Age of Decadence is releasing today, and it isn't Thursday.

• Like 2

So do american cars in some cases, eg Ford Cortinas had various mark numbers. Though I think they were 'export' rather than domestic US.

I can forgive saying em-kay for mark if it's written as MK rather than (the correct) Mk, especially since- per Tale- there is the very well known Avtomat Kalashnikova. But one thing I shall never, ever, forgive is the incorrect substitution of clip for magazine. Consider me, uh, triggered.

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Rise of the Tomb Raider microtransaction scheme is pretty damn ridiculous. You can buy "expedition card packs" (or grind for the in game credits). These cards can be used to modify your game with various options and perks.

One such card is called reportedly "manual grab". Which is how the old school Tomb Raider games worked, that is you need to press a button to grab a ledge you're jumping to. I don't care for it but old fans have been asking for this for a very long time. So naturally Square Enix decided they can take this basic game mechanic demanded by the fandom and sell it to them for extra cash.

Oh, and most of these cards can only be used once. So you would have to buy/grind over and over again. And they contain random cards so you can't just buy the one you want. And there are 300 of them.

• Like 2

^ Yikes.  The seeping of microtransactions into full-priced single-player games has been both disappointing and inevitable (especially disappointing in how inevitable it was).  I understand microtransactions in a f2p game, the publisher has to make money off it somehow, and I can even stomach microtransactions in a full-priced single-player game, so long as they're purely cosmetic, but when that crap extends to gameplay, that's stepping way over the line.

There needs to be a serious pushback from consumers, both vocal and financial, against this.  Otherwise, this is just going to keep getting worse and worse.  If publishers keep getting away with this, they're just going to keep pushing the boundaries. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I see MK II and I'm thinking someone is talking about Mortal Kombat II.  I see Mk II, I'm thinking Mark II.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Styx: Master of Shadows sequel revealed

styx-shards-of-darkness.jpg

Following the events of the first game, Shards of Darkness begins with an “extraordinary matter” that has forced Styx away from his hiding to infiltrate Körangar, the city of the Dark Elves. A diplomatic summit taking place in the city allows an easy cover to let Styx inside the supposed impregnable city. Upping the stakes to the story, Elves and Dwarves have joined forces, which may be concerning for Styx as the only thing they have in common is their hatred of the Goblins.

New areas and a new story are not all that Shards of Darkness promises either, as it should bring with it new enemies, and, most importantly, some new mechanics. So far they have shared a few—grappling around corners, climbing ropes, and his knife will have the ability to be used as a zip-wire—promising to offer, “unparalleled freedom of movement, along with refined stealth and assassination mechanics …”

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Hm. Deus Ex: Revision has been released on steam.

Deus Ex: Revision is a community-made overhaul of the 2000 classic. It features new environments, new music, and new world-building detail. It also bundles in some of the best modifications that the fanbase has made over the years, including Direct3D 9 rendering, high-resolution textures, high-detail 3D models, and alternative gameplay modes.

Key features

• Locations throughout the game world have been re-designed with new aesthetic and gameplay detail.
  • A new soundtrack has been composed by the symphonic electronica duo EdenShard, based on the original score.
  • High Resolution Textures courtesy of New Vision.
  • High Detail 3D models courtesy of Project HDTP.
  • Direct3D 9 Rendering courtesy of Chris Dohnal.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hmm...music ok I guess

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Age of Decadence is out! Buy it and get owned!  :w00t:

Oh, wow, they even managed to update the BMT version. Consider me intrigued. :)

edit:

Ah, they asked GOG if they can hand out free keys to those who preordered via BMT. That would be very fortunate. I'd rather get a GOG key than a Steam one, really.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Gotta admit, if I'd funded it I'd be pretty mad that they spent that much money on voice-acting.  None of those people could have come cheap.

Except.. they're fulfilling a stretch goal with those voice actors. If you had funded the game you'd be pissed if they didn't have those actors in the game.

Guess they can't win, huh?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guess they can't win, huh?

They really can't, the hype train has entered orbit and even if this game turns out to be the second coming of Christ I'm sure the backers are gonna get disappointed. I foresee internet gaming riots in the months following release.

Fortune favors the bald.

Hmm...music ok I guess

There is really some uz uz uz beat in that song. Eh, I don't think it fits at all. Would try to play it, but only if I can deactivate certain features of this mod...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You can switch between the old music and the new Gino Beats.

Heh, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun did Have you played.... Alpha Protocol?

It’s nice and all that Obsidian are crowdfunding a trip back to the ’90s, but I wish they were able (and willing) to revisit something a little fresher. Alpha Protocol is my favourite game they’ve made, an RPG from 2010 which used timed conversations and silent branching to make the adventures of a super spy feel exciting and unpredictable. Yes, it’s jolly wonky in ways – Obsidian made it – but it feels like the fresh green bud of what could’ve been an exciting branch for RPGs.

You’re Secret Agent Manchap, out investigating something or other when something goes wrong and your own agency ends up hunting you. It’s fairly generic spy movie stuff on paper, but it feels exciting as it becomes a personal adventure. Choosing the order you go globetrotting in will silently send the game down different paths, and you might miss opportunities with other characters. This may only become clear on a second playthrough – or because you read some fool like me going on about it. It makes you want to think carefully about consequences to actions, but it rarely lets you.

Conversations run in real-time, requiring you to quickly select the attitude of your response before it’s your turn to talk – no pausing while you agonise over dialogue choices here. You roll with gut feelings then need to deal with the consequences, feeling like a secret agent in the field rather than someone staring at a blinking cursor in an IM window. This feeds into a nice system of relationships, where you get different bonuses from different handlers who’ll watch you on missions, which are of course affected by conversations and decisions. The Witcher (mostly) lets you hesitate over big decisions, but Alpha Protocol pushes you to act.

Combat’s a bit of a boring mess until you reach the higher ends of skill trees, but then sneaking around as an invisible man with superpistols is pretty fun. I never explored the other branches that much because they started out too dull.

It’s notoriously buggy, mind. And enemy AI is bad. And… I could grumble more, but Alpha Protocol’s bright ideas were enough to keep me happily playing. I’m sorry it’s unlikely anyone will ever give Obsidian enough money to have a second crack at it.

You could wear ridiculous shades and beards too.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

For once, I wholeheartedly agree with something written in RPS.  Alpha Protocol is my favorite Obsidian game ever and I consider it one of the most underappreciated games ever made.  For all its faults, and there are plenty, that game is freakin' brilliant.  I keep praying that someday we get a sequel or prequel, preferably starring SIE.  It's clear SEGA is never going to do anything with the IP, because SEGA, they should just sell it to Obsidian nice and cheap like.

• Like 7

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸