RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Gaining and keeping aggro was easy, AoE tanking was also trivial and pallies didn't need intelligence anymore and going OOM was also pretty much impossible on top of that a few stats that made gearing a tank hard were removed (anybody remember "crushing blows" and "crit immunity"?)

It was Cataclysm that removed both the defense and block stat on items (along with a few other things), not Wrath of the Lich King. Tanks still had to be crit immune and balance their avoidance in Wrath. Endless healer mana-pools and overpowered paladin healers in ridiculous 25 man raid encounters just made it so that tanks geared for the minimum defense necessary and put everything else into their health. original.gif

Hmm, not sure which stat it was then, I'm sure they greatly simplified gearing for tanks with WotLK though, maybe they just shifted things around to make it easier (well, pallies no longer requiring int definitely made gearing them easier, but there was more to it than that istr and it had something to do with a certain stat that made one immune to crushing blows or crits by bosses, and had to be at different levels for raid bosses and heroic dungeon ones (due to the level difference between the player and the boss)), but since WoWWiki (which had a lot of articles on that legacy stuff) apparently went the way of the Dodo (which was a bit of a "WTF?"  moment tbh, I' ve been using that wiki since forever sad.png) I'm just going to leave it at that.

EDIT: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Defense found this, doesn' t seem defense changed much, maybe it was just a lot more plentiful than before. It's been such a long time...

EDIT2: pretty sure it was related to the crushing blow change in patch 3.0.2 mentioned here: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Crushing_blow though that article is rather light on details.

Found an old Paladin guide here that says this:

<Defense>: Each point of +Defense skill adds:

+ 0.04% to be missed

+ 0.04% to Parry

+ 0.04% to Dodge

+ 0.04% to Block

- 0.04 to be affected by a critical hit

Thus +25 Defense = +1% to Parry, Dodge and Block, -1% to be affected

by a crit and +1% to be missed. Remember that miss and dodge chances

works against physical and magic attacks while dodge and block only on

physical ones.

More defense decreases the chance of being affected by a "crushing

blow". Creatures (not players) that are higher 3 or more levels than

your character can land crushing blows that deal increased (150%)

melee damage. Each point of defense will decrease the chance of being

affected by a Crushing Blow by 2%.

However this percentage will be added only if your actual defense

is under your level cap (level * 5 so 300 max at 60). The minimum

percentage of crushing blow is 15%.

Iirc one needed a certain amount of defense to get immune to crushing blows from raid bosses (which are treated as being 3 levels higher than the player), the removal of that mechanic (by only having crushing blows from mobs 4 levels higher, instead of 3, as was the case in TBC) effectively lowered the required amount of defense, making gearing much easier.

Well that was an interesting trip down memory lane, that much is sure :)

Edited by marelooke

Looks pretty cool, it actually managed to pique my curiosity.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh god, all that grind and all the enemy outposts behind every corner... Never finished that game. Never finished Far Cry 3 either. Never even touched Far Cry 4.

This Primal looks pretty interesting to me, but I am very certain Ubisoft will put in the same boring chores as always.

Heh, also wouldn't be surprised if there suddenly appears time travel and guns are back too.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I hope so, Blood Mammoth would be a pretty cool add-on after Blood Dragon. 

It's only a grind if you approach every camp with the same strategy. 

There's what, 20+ camps in FarCry 3 and 4. You can maybe come up with 3-5 unique way to deal with them, still feels like a grind tbh.

Also, that new FarCry does not seem interesting in the slightest. I mostly use sneaking / bow in the previous games, and it gets boring after a while so you switch to guns, can't really do that when there are no guns.

Japan gets it in December, us westerner peasants have to wait until "sometime 2016".  ;(

It looks more Persona X Fire Emblem than SMT X FE, but I'm still down.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Prison Architect 1.0 just got released. Finally out of Early Access. Played 82 hours already, so it's p.cool - especially if one likes the old stuff like Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper (even though it is not really like Dungeon Keeper and more like Theme Hospital).)

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Japan gets it in December, us westerner peasants have to wait until "sometime 2016".  crying.gif

I hate k-pop and dont have a clue what this clip was about but any skimpy clothes on anime girls are + in my book

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Japan gets it in December, us westerner peasants have to wait until "sometime 2016".  crying.gif

I hate k-pop and dont have a clue what this clip was about but any skimpy clothes on anime girls are + in my book

Apparently the main characters in Genei Ibun Roku X FE - besides being Mirage Masters, able to summon "Mirages" (souls of warriors from other worlds and based on Fire Emblem characters) so they can fight evil Mirages - all belong to a Talent Agency so that they have to be Pop Stars AND save the world.  As I understand it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man