RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And in other news, the game Diesel Störmers had its name changed to Rogue Stormers because fashion giant Diesel felt that their trademark was being infringed.

Tralalalala

That's just ridiculous.  It seems weird that you can trademark an existing word.  Diesel is a thing, it's a type of engine and also the type of fuel that is used in said engine.  Is every gas station that sells diesel fuel infringing on the rights of a clothing company?

I hope that had the devs fought this they would have won in court, but they (correctly) decided that the costs involved would not be worth it.  It sucks that these large corporations get to bully people around, but that's how it is.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's ridiculous and wouldn't have held up in court. The thing is, a tiny game company is not going to go up against them.

Exactly. It's like when suing for liable, the first thing to consider is how deep the defendant's wallet is. That is the single biggest reason mid-tier celebrities almost never sue gossip magazines for slander.

That rather depends though, if they were planning on selling T shirts or other merchandise with 'Diesel Stormers' on it then it would (or could for general merchandise) be a legit challenge from Diesel.

The bigger issue is giving too broad context trademark protection to common words- as with 'Scrolls' or 'Saga'; albeit the 2nd seems to have failed, no more hail to the King Inc if you want to use it- in the first place.

For once, I wholeheartedly agree with something written in RPS.  Alpha Protocol is my favorite Obsidian game ever and I consider it one of the most underappreciated games ever made.  For all its faults, and there are plenty, that game is freakin' brilliant.  I keep praying that someday we get a sequel or prequel, preferably starring SIE.  It's clear SEGA is never going to do anything with the IP, because SEGA, they should just sell it to Obsidian nice and cheap like.

AP is one of those gems that people overlook because of its flaws.  It always amused me, however, that the flaws in AP were exaggerated, while similar flaws (or sometimes worse ones) in these Triple-A games get completely overlooked.

• Like 6

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

AP is BY FAR Obsidian's worst game. PURE CRAP.

AP is the B movies of video games, flawed but with a lot of heart.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

you know, even if they do not make a sequel to AP they can still use the good rpg mechanics of the game for some other game.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Oh no, Life is strange Episode 5 just suddenly released. I didn't know of that and now I (probably) don't have time for it till the weekend.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The quote still stand. My opinion on AP isn't going to magically change others' opinions on it. Nor do I expected. What does matter is success vs failure and AP is very much a failure.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Boring to who [sic]. Our personal opinions are irrelevant."-- Volourn; Avellone working on DivOS2 thread 3 Oct 2015, Obsidian forums Computer & Console subforum.

This quote is going to get some usage, I think.

If you're regular user of these forums, and haven't ignored Volourn yet, you're doing the rest of us great disservice.

• Like 1

Gamespot - Kotor2 Updated on Steam Again

A second unexpected update to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 has been released, introducing new achievements, improving compatibility with certain mods, and making a number of general performance tweaks. The full list of changes, as detailed on the game's Steam discussion board, can be found below.

Universal Changes

• Added 20 user-generated achievements (see pinned thread for details)
  • Fixed an issue with Pet Rock achievement not unlocking in TSLRCM
  • Fixed a crash when adding more than five mods
  • Fixed two issues tied to Mouse Look
  • Fixed an issue with the controller menu appearing on top of dialog screens
  • Fixed an issue with Kreia not disappearing properly on Korriban
  • Fixed a shader issue causing NPC droid eyes to not be illuminated
  • Fixed an issue with alternate dialog not appearing after multiple play-throughs
  • Changed the behavior of the Light/Dark Side point achievements

Mac-specific Changes
  • Fixed a crash connected to the M4-78 mod

Windows-specific Changes

• Fixed multiple issues with a spinning camera when certain third-party devices are connected
  • Fixed multiple issues connected to DPI Scaling
  • Fixed an issue with the screen being offset on high refresh-rate monitors
  • Fixed an issue with sounds continuously repeating after moving away from the sound source

Linux-specific Changes
  • Change to cloud-saves, automatically lower-casing files so they can be read on Linux

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, but re-released and updated by Aspyr. The studio has also worked on the Mac version of recent titles such as Civilization: Beyond Earth. It also developed the Mac version of the Beyond Earth's Rising Tide expansion.

The last update for KOTOR2 introduced Steam Workshop support, controller support, native widescreen resolution support, support for up to 5K monitors, and steam Cloud saves.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."