Dragon Age: Inquistion

You guys are so unbelievably cynical about everything. And coincidently welcome back, Morgoth :)

It wasn't Bioware's most exciting trailer but I'm more optimistic about the game now that I had been. It looks like this will easily be their best told game, the cinematography, animations ect were all very convincing so hopefully they've written a story to match. Do you think they've finally gotten past the uncanny valley? I also really dug the music.  

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

Nothing cynical about it, the most important thing about the game, it's combat, looks actiony and messy. They can pretty it up all they want, but it won't make up for horid gameplay.

That being said, hope they prove me wrong when the game comes out.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

You guys are so unbelievably cynical about everything. And coincidently welcome back, Morgoth :)

It wasn't Bioware's most exciting trailer but I'm more optimistic about the game now that I had been. It looks like this will easily be their best told game, the cinematography, animations ect were all very convincing so hopefully they've written a story to match. Do you think they've finally gotten past the uncanny valley? I also really dug the music.  

it's only a trailer. no way will Gromnir's expectations be significant increased or decreased by a freaking trailer. 

when the first dragon age were announced, there were, we kid you not, multi-page threads at rpgcodex filled with folks complaining that the title were proof of bioware incompetence. same kinda thing happened here, if to a lesser degree. the title? seriously? for more than a few, "dragon age" name were enough to damn bioware's efforts in utero. 

it's a trailer. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I guess what worries me most is the action combat in a party based system. 

I found actively dodging things in DA2 a little cumbersome when you have to switch back and forth between party members. Though I didn't buy any DLC, I watched some let's play videos and it seemed difficult moving your party members out of the way of charging darkspawn, or navigating them around obstacles like the final battle in Legacy. 

I guess what worries me most is the action combat in a party based system. 

I found actively dodging things in DA2 a little cumbersome when you have to switch back and forth between party members. Though I didn't buy any DLC, I watched some let's play videos and it seemed difficult moving your party members out of the way of charging darkspawn, or navigating them around obstacles like the final battle in Legacy. 

DA2's combat simply wasn't conducive to party control.  It was an action game where you handled your own character, with *maybe* inputting one or two big commands for your party (ie. switching to a mage to toss a huge fireball or something).

I just found that if I even attempted to switch around, it made things even worse than if I just stuck to my PC and let the party members auto-handle themselves.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I see the thread has been going on about the fugly helmet, have we ran out of things to discuss?

But just so no one says I'm not a good sport; helmets have to be functional not pretty. Bet that you will all make pretty corpses one day with feathered hats and whatnot. 
Discuss.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Premiere content - First on Xbon3

This is that stuff I don't like

Still looking forward to it but expectations have cooled a bit lately

Yeah, not really a fan of exclusives in general and I can't really see the point in this.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

So for me this trailer highlight everything I expect from an RPG.

These include exciting combat, different monsters, varied combat strategies, interesting and aesthetically pleasing  Romance options, gripping narrative and mysterious lands to explore. So this trailer is a definite winner  :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

-snip-

That is the video I was talking about. Combat is way to actiony, also how exatly would the tactical view work in that dragon fight?

-snip-

That is the video I was talking about. Combat is way to actiony, also how exatly would the tactical view work in that dragon fight?

Probably better than that view did, I had no idea what was going on there.
  • Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Vivienne a mage with both ambition and incredibly oily skin.  :p

And yeah, I'd like to see someone play a combat encounter from "tactical view" because that dragon fight, in what I'm assuming is "action view", looked pretty bad.  It was incredibly hard to tell what was happening.  That is a terrible camera angle for a party-based game.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Probably better than that view did, I had no idea what was going on there.

If it zoomed out far enough to show the dragon as it's doing a fly by it would work, but for that the zoomout would have to be much greater then anything they showed so far. That is what you get when you invest so much time in graphics and then need to force the player to see the work you have done.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed too - that combat looks contrived and it's dripping with force-fed-MMO-power-kick-tropes. And the graphics seems to be MMO-adapted as well. Heck, even Skyrim's environments, with HD graphics and a few mods, certainly looks more neat. Post-DA:O-Bioware is sort of famous for fugly faces, but they seem to reach new heights in DA:I. Well, graphics is not all. Perhaps the story, the characters and the systems are excellent. However, if they aren't, I'll probably skip this game, or perhaps get it two years later (when it's fixed with heaps of patches).

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm disappointed too - that combat looks contrived and it's dripping with force-fed-MMO-power-kick-tropes. And the graphics seems to be MMO-adapted as well. Heck, even Skyrim's environments, with HD graphics and a few mods, certainly looks more neat. Post-DA:O-Bioware is sort of famous for fugly faces, but they seem to reach new heights in DA:I. Well, graphics is not all. Perhaps the story, the characters and the systems are excellent. However, if they aren't, I'll probably skip this game, or perhaps get it two years later (when it's fixed with heaps of patches).

The only thing that would make me be interested in the game is castle/spy menagment. But they are showing little to none of it, so I'm thinking it won't have that big of a part in it.

That looks like it will be hell to control the party. I hope the tactical camera removes that action stuff.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands