What are you playing now

Playing Wolfenstein: TNO and finished the longest prologue I've ever seen in a game.  It's too early to really comment, but the difficulty is pretty low on 'Average'. 

The description of the difficulty levels is hilarious.  The easiest mode is named Can I Play, Daddy? and is described as "Very easy difficulty for the spineless gamer" and includes a baby bonnet and pacifier on the character portrait.  :grin:

• Like 1

Just finished a round of Space Station 13, the station went from mildly boring to bat **** crazy apocalypse in about 10 minutes.. When a virus caused explosive diarrhea and the cure caused people to vomit spiders, who quickly grew into giant spiders that murdered everyone.. So the station got flooded in feces and spiders..

I was the lone survivor of 70 players. Crazy game..

Fortune favors the bald.

Finished a first-time HL2 play-through. It's weird, but I think I know where the inspiration for Bioshock Infinite came from.

I am also pretty damn sure Judith, the woman in the white sweater, was voiced by Ensign Ro. Let me check on that, I just saw her name in the credits ... yes, it's her. TNG, represent.

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Added Bound By Flame to my playing list. So far it makes me think of a Budget Dragon Age title, but it has enough of its own charms to keep me interested.

Glad I figured out how to skip dialogues as I read more faster than the VO actors act.

So far BBF makes me think DA is the low budget knock-off made by amateurs who know nothing about making games or write anything except cloying or maudlin dialog. Of course so far no homosexuals have hit on me, and no one told me about their sad childhoods or long lost siblings, so there's always hope.

I wasn't really talking about quality of stories (or even comparing the stories even if they share some common tropes - both have a main character who becomes invested with a power that makes them uniquely qualified to face a menace to their society. Both have scantily clad witches found in woods, and female members of what appears to be a scholarly religious order, etc).

I was more thinking in some of the production elements (although this may be from playing on a PS3 and not a computer, too, think about it). Things like the handling of the controls (I sometimes have to walk away from things, turn around and walk back to get positioned to trigger a "pick-up" notice), some of the quests not triggering (or failing) properly, etc.

Its an enjoyable game, hope I get some more time at it.

DAO on the 360 was very buggy, I had to use a work around just to get my allies to use any special abilities, sometimes they'd just stand around watching. BBF runs a lot better, plus the combat is more interesting IMO.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm back to Gothic 3.  I've done everything in Cape Dun and Montera short of wiping out the nearby rebel camps, plus I cleared Gotha of undead and killed the demon.  So, next I paid a visit to Faring and did a bit of questing around there.  A lot of the stuff around Faring is kind of difficult for my current level and equipment, so it might be wise to go back through Montera and head off to Trelis.  I think that area is more appropriate for where I'm at equipment wise.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finished a first-time HL2 play-through. It's weird, but I think I know where the inspiration for Bioshock Infinite came from.

Pretty sure, as a Half-Life player, that the inspiration for Bioshock Infinite came from System Shock and System Shock 2, not from any Half-Life games.

• Like 1

AGX-17: Indeed, and System Shock is a very tough act to follow (I loved that game way back when). I tried to get into Bioshock 1 & 2, but I had to uninstall them after a third of the game or so, and now poor Bio Infinite runs the risk of ending up on the same discarded-before-finished graveyard.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm back to Gothic 3.  I've done everything in Cape Dun and Montera short of wiping out the nearby rebel camps, plus I cleared Gotha of undead and killed the demon.  So, next I paid a visit to Faring and did a bit of questing around there.  A lot of the stuff around Faring is kind of difficult for my current level and equipment, so it might be wise to go back through Montera and head off to Trelis.  I think that area is more appropriate for where I'm at equipment wise.

Listening to your adventures reminds me how brilliantly the game design was in Gothic 3. You have this choice where you basically can work for both sides until a certain point in the game gets reached and you start freeing too many towns from the opposing sides, only then are you the enemy of orcs or humans. But then you have all the adventures in the mountains and still the desert. Plus you have the fun of finding the Fire Chalices which really motivates you to fastidiously explore the land.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

AGX-17: Indeed, and System Shock is a very tough act to follow (I loved that game way back when). I tried to get into Bioshock 1 & 2, but I had to uninstall them after a third of the game or so, and now poor Bio Infinite runs the risk of ending up on the same discarded-before-finished graveyard.

Bioshock was great for its setting alone, if anything. Bioshock 2 was a sham. Infinite is/was outstanding in every area but bullet sponginess (also applicable to plasmids/vigors.) I found the gameplay more of an obstacle than the story in Bioshock/Infinite. Bioshock 2, well... HAHAHAHAHAHA. AHA AHAHA. HA. HAHAHA. Oh boy...

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Playing Wolfenstein: TNO and finished the longest prologue I've ever seen in a game.  It's too early to really comment, but the difficulty is pretty low on 'Average'. 

The description of the difficulty levels is hilarious.  The easiest mode is named Can I Play, Daddy? and is described as "Very easy difficulty for the spineless gamer" and includes a baby bonnet and pacifier on the character portrait.  :grin:

It's at moments like these when I suddenly feel very old.

Is the highest difficulty "I am Death incarnate"?

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I remember playing Wolf3d on the baby difficulty with my little sister operating the mouse.

Maybe I'll pick up the new one on a future Steam sale just because I'm a sucker for alternate history settings.

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I remember playing Wolf3d on the baby difficulty with my little sister operating the mouse.

That's cute , how old was your sister when she helped you ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Pretty sure, as a Half-Life player, that the inspiration for Bioshock Infinite came from System Shock and System Shock 2, not from any Half-Life games.

Yes...but it's arguable that unlike its predecessors, BioShock 1 and BioShock 2, BioShock: Infinite is inspired quite a bit (more) from Half-Life (2). I think it took elements from Half-Life 2 it abstained from using in the previous two entries and ran with them and just kept running.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Listening to your adventures reminds me how brilliantly the game design was in Gothic 3. You have this choice where you basically can work for both sides until a certain point in the game gets reached and you start freeing too many towns from the opposing sides, only then are you the enemy of orcs or humans. But then you have all the adventures in the mountains and still the desert. Plus you have the fun of finding the Fire Chalices which really motivates you to fastidiously explore the land.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing, I'm working both sides as long as I can.  I've never done a full playthrough siding with the orcs (I have siding with the rebels), so eventually that's what I'm going to do and I'll start wiping out the rebel encampments.  Gothic 3 is such a mind-bogglingly huge game.  I don't think I'm even 10% through the game yet.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Replaying Mask of the Betrayer (after replaying NWN2). I think, for whatever reason, I had more fun with NWN2 than ever before on this playthrough. Play an evil Bard who I am now taking into MotB.

But yeah, it's so clear what an improvement MotB is. Not only the obvious stuff like the writing, but visually, audio-wise... Just everyhing is a big step up. Definitely one of my fav RPGs ever.

• Like 3

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Replaying Mask of the Betrayer (after replaying NWN2). I think, for whatever reason, I had more fun with NWN2 than ever before on this playthrough.

It's so clear what an improvement MotB is. Not only the obvious stuff like the writing, but visually, audio-wise... Just everyhing is a big step up. Definitely one of my fav RPGs ever.

You can say that again! It's one of the jewels in the crown of CRPGs. :yes:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

As you may notice from my periodic bumping of the appropriate thread, I'm still playing Might & Magic X.

However, I noticed that The Banner Saga is 40% off on Steam (i.e., $15) through tomorrow morning.  I would welcome any input on whether I should buy it. 

I really, really enjoyed The Banner Saga all in all. But it's a pretty different game, there isn't anything quite like it. Don't expect a "regular RPG". It's more like a strategy game with RPG elements combined with some text adventures.

There are plenty of things I hope will be fixed/addressed in the sequels. But for 15 bucks it's a bargain in my opinion.

Just play it without savescumming, that's the best way to enjoy it.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm probably the odd man out because I didn't really care for The Banner Saga. I liked the combat but as I mentioned before I don't like completely pre-defined characters/parties and it has set characters and you bounce around controlling different groups of them. To me it was more of an adventure game with combat bits than a more traditional RPG if that helps any

Free games updated 3/4/21

Guest Slinky

Replaying Mask of the Betrayer (after replaying NWN2). I think, for whatever reason, I had more fun with NWN2 than ever before on this playthrough. Play an evil Bard who I am now taking into MotB.

Could be the way you play the game, but I've also noticed I've become less critical towards certain games as time go by. Dragon Age for example, almost hated the damn thing when it came out but year or two later I actually liked it when I went back to it.

So it's kind of learning to take things as they are, at least in my case.

Edited by Slinky

Could be the way you play the game, but I've also noticed I've become less critical towards certain games as time go by. Dragon Age for example, almost hated the damn thing when it came out but year or two later I actually liked it when I went back to it.

So it's kind of learning to take things as they are, at least in my case.

Might be because the game is properly fixed when you come back to it (it's also why I no longer bother playing most games at release) ;)

Oh, and I finally started playing Portal 2 :)

Edited by marelooke