RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

To be fair, I have zero visibility on the project as well, so if there was already struggles then it could be a sinking ship.

$200 million sounds high for me, but the only company I have anything remotely close to accurate for is BioWare, so I don't know.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what companies have you worked for? If you aren't under an NDA and if you feel comfortable with saying of course. I won't take offense if you can't or won't.

On the topic; maybe KL has realized that AAA as its stand is unsustainable and has jumped ship.

Edit: On retrospective, I remember how different the shipped product was from the preview gameplay. There seems to have been a lot of features that were reworked or scrapped that could have ultimately pulled B:I from bland and into the realm of interesting.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Darkness threatens the existence of mankind... again. Meh.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what companies have you worked for? If you aren't under an NDA and if you feel comfortable with saying of course. I won't take offense if you can't or won't.

Just BioWare.

Orogun you won't get offended now that Alan has told you will you....remember you promised you wouldn't ..... :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just BioWare.

Orogun you won't get offended now that Alan has told you will you....remember you promised you wouldn't ..... :ermm:

Well, I'm slightly offended that you thought I wouldn't keep my promise.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

There should be some "Honest Trailers" for video games, if there isn't already. I bet they'd be funny. :)

• Like 9
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There's a new builder game (no combat, YAY!) coming out called Banished, here's a review for it.

Think I'll have to get this one, it looks great!

Ok so there are a bunch of houses, a little village full of people with hopes, dreams and fears. 

Only I don't care whether they live or die, so what now ?

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Don't think they have hopes, dreams or fears, can't mod that in either, behaviours aren't open, from what I recall.  But yeah, imagine that - not playing it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ok so there are a bunch of houses, a little village full of people with hopes, dreams and fears. 

Only I don't care whether they live or die, so what now ?

Have you thought about running for public office?  You sound like you'd fit right in.

• Like 7

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, apparently a bunch of people (re: nerds) are suddenly bleeding-heart philanthropists because a bunch of video game devs got laid off. I wonder how much they fretted over poverty, disease and strife in the world before. I also wonder how much they will after the former employees of a particular game development studio have moved on and found employment elsewhere, for which they have a high likelihood of success, as their résumés will include "Bioshock Infinite."

There should be some "Honest Trailers" for video games, if there isn't already. I bet they'd be funny. :)

So, like, a 5 minute video of a stable focused on a bull's ass as it occasionally defecates as Duke Nukem Forever's trailer, that sort of thing?

Edited by AGX-17

Just BioWare.

Well, I'm slightly offended that you thought I wouldn't keep my promise.

Well, technically you didn't make any promises if I did, only if I didn't!

Irrational is already pretty gutted on the senior people front. Just about all of them apart from KL left during B:I's development, and it clearly had a troubled development. I'd be moderately surprised if Levine were still at 2k in a year's time, personally, the whole thing reads like spin. Indeed, I'm not really sure from whose point of view any contract may be being worked out.

Yeah, quoting myself so bad form, but there's a pretty good article on the IG/ B: I situation over at Gamasutra which deals with some of the details of the situation. Perhaps most significant was the insider who said a year ago that IG would be shut down if B:I was not a major sales success but there's also quite a lot of info on how things went so wrong.

I rather suspect that Thiaf may be the next, similar, problem child for AAA, though I suspect Eidos Montreal may survive as a Deus Ex studio.

Yeah, quoting myself so bad form, but there's a pretty good article on the IG/ B: I situation over at Gamasutra which deals with some of the details of the situation. Perhaps most significant was the insider who said a year ago that IG would be shut down if B:I was not a major sales success but there's also quite a lot of info on how things went so wrong.

I rather suspect that Thiaf may be the next, similar, problem child for AAA, though I suspect Eidos Montreal may survive as a Deus Ex studio.

I haven't really been following Thief so I couldn't say, though I actually agree with your position regarding Irrational Games now, after doing some more reading up on it.

Video Game Industry crash everybody. 

Would be amusing to watch.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know if a full crash like the early 80s would happen.

IMO the primary reason for that crash was because so many people were trying to cash in that the shelves were filled with utter crap and people stopped buying games. A game like Infinite is, for the most part, considered a good game (I haven't played it). It sounds like it was too expensive, but that can be investigated and refined.

With indie and digital development, a void that couldn't be filled easily in 1983 can more easily be filled now. Granted, some of the market may disappear with less prevalance of the "AAA titles," but in terms of the industry itself it'd likely see a dialing back of projects in their scope (which could arguably be a good thing) and it'd probably be helpful for smaller developers like Obsidian.

• Like 3

I definitely think if a crash occurs it won't mirror the one in the 80s 100%. I have seen people point at the new console's sales numbers and GTA V as why everything is fine. However, not every game is GTA V and a AAA company that releases enough games that don't make a profit could easily see themselves in deep water. The less big profit makers we have, the less variety of games we get (which has occurred in everything being a shooter), and the less variety the more each title competes with the other. This will slowly eat at profits.

If sony and ms aren't making profit on their systems then how many systems they sell is largely irrelevant. There are rumors MS is talking to Amazon about selling them the Xbox. It is a rumor, but there is a group of higher ups in MS that want to drop the xbox division for sure.

I would say "recession" may be a more appropriate term than "crash." We will see, and I expect turbulence in the near future.

I have seen people point at the new console's sales numbers and GTA V as why everything is fine. However, not every game is GTA V and a AAA company that releases enough games that don't make a profit could easily see themselves in deep water. The less big profit makers we have, the less variety of games we get (which has occurred in everything being a shooter), and the less variety the more each title competes with the other. This will slowly eat at profits.

It's also important to note that whether or not a game is a "failure" by a studio is more dependent on whether or not it reaches expectations, as opposed to whether or not it was "profitable."

While I wouldn't be surprised that a game like Bioshock Infinite, if its budget and development woes are true, didn't actually make money, from what I hear games like Tomb Raider were still profitable.

It could also mean that larger studios end up diversifying their game library and go wide instead of going deep, which could still help game variety.

I think that larger studios would have to be willing to lower their production budget and make less stellar (technologically) games that aren't massive productions. IDK if that Pandora's box can be closed, specially with big yearly juggernauts on the horizon like COD. It's very likely that everyone is still trying to find their yearly franchise. Just look at what Ubisoft is doing with AC.

village_idiot.gif