RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Gotta love Google Translate:

Risen 3 is coming - and in PC Games 3/14, there's the first information and screenshots. We visited Piranha Bytes exclusive and reveal what Risen 2 against everything changes

I'm hoping they stick with the pirate motif, but if this picture is anything to go by, then it looks like we may be going back to a more medieval-ish theme

PC_Games_03-14_Banner-pc-games.jpg

I didn't mind the pirate theme. What I didn't like were the smallish islands and that meant less fun exploration.

Agreed, one or two much larger islands would have been much better.  With that said, Piranha Bytes managed to cram an amazingly high amount of stuff to find and do into each of those little islands.

I was about to say that, for me what Piranha Bytes always does well is that "over the hill and far away" type of RPG. What I mean by that is they are brilliant at creating open-world RPG that you get excited exploring. The excitement at wanting to explore an RPG world is one of the fundamental tenets that make a RPG great.

So yay for Risen 3, I'm very excited :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This. I want this. 

Hugh Langley, techradar

Rumours of Sony's PS4 virtual reality headset have been running rife since last year, but now an inside source has told TechRadar that they've spent some time with the helmet behind closed doors - and it's almost ready to be revealed.
Our confidential tipster said that they were impressed with the quality of Sony's Oculus Rift competitor. "The quality and resolution are really, really good," they said. "People will definitely be impressed with what Sony's built".
They also told us that they understand Sony plans to announce the headset at GDC 2014, which kicks off in San Francisco on March 17.

All Stop. On Screen.

Risen 3 is coming - and in PC Games 3/14, there's the first information and screenshots. We visited Piranha Bytes exclusive and reveal what Risen 2 against everything changes

I'm hoping they stick with the pirate motif, but if this picture is anything to go by, then it looks like we may be going back to a more medieval-ish theme

I didn't mind the pirate theme. What I didn't like were the smallish islands and that meant less fun exploration.

Agreed, one or two much larger islands would have been much better.  With that said, Piranha Bytes managed to cram an amazingly high amount of stuff to find and do into each of those little islands.

I was about to say that, for me what Piranha Bytes always does well is that "over the hill and far away" type of RPG. What I mean by that is they are brilliant at creating open-world RPG that you get excited exploring. The excitement at wanting to explore an RPG world is one of the fundamental tenets that make a RPG great.

Some translated info from the German PC mag:

Combat system:

• There will be a prologue during which you can experiment with higher abilities. After that, you continue on level 1.
  • Blocks work against monsters.
  • At the beginning, you already have an evasion somersault and short range teleport to escape combat.
  • Big armours and swords as well as firefalls and lightning strikes.
  • Voodoo magic will probably also be available.
  • Unconscious enemies can be plundered.
  • The will be party members again who will help you in combat
  • Combat system with four different actions and rudimentary combos.

Gameplay/Story:

• DLCs will offer more content.
  • Roasting meat etc. will happen in a separate window again.
  • Gameworld: Primarily middle european but also mediterranean and tropical regions.
  • The world is modelled by hand.
  • Swimming will be possible.
  • Seperate loading zones like in R2. No free roaming with out loading screens.
  • Several factions (probably three) from which to choose.
  • Already known are the “guardians” which resemble the paladins from older games.
  • New enemy: The shadows (undead which rise from skull caves).
  • At the beginning of the game, the main character’s soul will be devoured by a might shadow lord.
  • After that, he will have a soul value which can develop either towards human or demonic.
  • New hero, the character from previous Risen games will still play a starring role however.
  • Food will still be swapped to “provisions”.

Technical:

• Once again forced Steam and no modding tools.
  • Game will be developed for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC - no mention of next gen consoles.
  • Engine will be the same as in Risen 2 with some polished graphics - but the problems of the old engine (like the stiff character animations during dialogues) are still present and do not seem up to date compared to competing titles like Dragon Age: Inquisition or The Witcher 3.

• Probable release: August 2014

Sounds like it will be very similar to Risen 2.. but with swimming! Big step forward, at least to me!

Too bad the world is still divided with loading screens in between, but I can live with that. I also don't care about the animations. I laugh at them once and move on. Just like I do in the Bethesda games.

August 2014.. long time left to wait. Oh well.

• Like 5

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yay, swimming (I'm already imagining how bad the swimming animation will be  :p )

Yay, voodoo is coming back (hopefully they make it more useful but still as much fun as in R2)

So we're swapping our nameless hero for presumably another nameless hero.  :ermm:

No modding tools.  :(

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yay, swimming (I'm already imagining how bad the swimming animation will be  :p )

Yay, voodoo is coming back (hopefully they make it more useful but still as much fun as in R2)

So we're swapping our nameless hero for presumably another nameless hero.  :ermm:

No modding tools.  :(

Your post made me laugh :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just once in a RPG I'd like to see a character jump in the water to swim wearing plate, make it a few yards while struggling mightily, then sink like a stone and die. 

:lol:

• Like 5

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

At the beginning of the game, the main character’s soul will be devoured by a might shadow lord.

After that, he will have a soul value which can develop either towards human or demonic.

They're ripping off Bound by Flame.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Just once in a RPG I'd like to see a character jump in the water to swim wearing plate, make it a few yards while struggling mightily, then sink like a stone and die. 

:lol:

Suggest that to the Kingdom Come guys ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some translated info from the German PC mag:

Combat system:

• There will be a prologue during which you can experiment with higher abilities. After that, you continue on level 1.
  • Blocks work against monsters.
  • At the beginning, you already have an evasion somersault and short range teleport to escape combat.
  • Big armours and swords as well as firefalls and lightning strikes.
  • Voodoo magic will probably also be available.
  • Unconscious enemies can be plundered.
  • The will be party members again who will help you in combat
  • Combat system with four different actions and rudimentary combos.

Gameplay/Story:

• DLCs will offer more content.
  • Roasting meat etc. will happen in a separate window again.
  • Gameworld: Primarily middle european but also mediterranean and tropical regions.
  • The world is modelled by hand.
  • Swimming will be possible.
  • Seperate loading zones like in R2. No free roaming with out loading screens.
  • Several factions (probably three) from which to choose.
  • Already known are the “guardians” which resemble the paladins from older games.
  • New enemy: The shadows (undead which rise from skull caves).
  • At the beginning of the game, the main character’s soul will be devoured by a might shadow lord.
  • After that, he will have a soul value which can develop either towards human or demonic.
  • New hero, the character from previous Risen games will still play a starring role however.
  • Food will still be swapped to “provisions”.

Technical:

• Once again forced Steam and no modding tools.
  • Game will be developed for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC - no mention of next gen consoles.
  • Engine will be the same as in Risen 2 with some polished graphics - but the problems of the old engine (like the stiff character animations during dialogues) are still present and do not seem up to date compared to competing titles like Dragon Age: Inquisition or The Witcher 3.

• Probable release: August 2014

Sounds like it will be very similar to Risen 2.. but with swimming! Big step forward, at least to me!

Too bad the world is still divided with loading screens in between, but I can live with that. I also don't care about the animations. I laugh at them once and move on. Just like I do in the Bethesda games.

August 2014.. long time left to wait. Oh well.

More info is leaking:

Russian source:

The world will be their biggest so far.

NPC navigation will be improved.

Material physics improved.

Physically based rendering

More from the German print mag:

- quest related NPCs will be immortal

- astral sight: the ocular will be used to see enemies flashing in red and detect chest loot and other stuff like this.

- you find items belonging to dead people in the living world, return them in the world of the dead, and get bonuses, like loot locations

- you will meet with the inquisitor from R1 in the land of the dead

- you regain humanity by collecting "soul dust" in the world of the dead

- muskets AND bows

- combat similar to G1 and 2

- there will be climbing, but only in certain places

Climbing only in certain places. Well, that certainly sucked in Risen 2. I hope they've made it less obvious and clumsy at least. The rest sounds fine.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

- astral sight: the ocular will be used to see enemies flashing in red and detect chest loot and other stuff like this.

Gah, the dreaded 'focus mode' or 'eagle vision' crap!  Oh well, as long as I'm never forced to use it and can simply ignore the feature, I'm fine with it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I find it strange that they want to make a huge game world again. IMO it's really not what they do best. Also, did they mean "the biggest, even bigger than G3" or just based on R1 and R2?

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Reviews for Thief are out, some sites are gutting it, some are not, but one thing in common is that no one thinks it's a great game.

Yeah, so far the consensus for Thi4f seems to be:  A few truly good side-missions, crappy main story and characters, hit or miss level design, buggy mess.  Seems all the red flags that popped up during this game's development were warranted.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Reviews for Thief are out, some sites are gutting it, some are not, but one thing in common is that no one thinks it's a great game.

Kotaku just about destroys it, the reviewers dislike for it is quite clear, but TotalBiscuit seems to like it.

Honestly, it doesn't seem to be half as bad as I personally expected. I just hope it will sell enough to let Eidos Montreal do another Deus Ex.

Kotaku just about destroys it, the reviewers dislike for it is quite clear, but TotalBiscuit seems to like it.

Honestly, it doesn't seem to be half as bad as I personally expected. I just hope it will sell enough to let Eidos Montreal do another Deus Ex.

Oh noes it's not Skyrim or LoU, it must be bad.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, so far the consensus for Thi4f seems to be:  A few truly good side-missions, crappy main story and characters, hit or miss level design, buggy mess.  Seems all the red flags that popped up during this game's development were warranted.

This is just too bad.  I had hoped this would have turned out better, but oh well, maybe stick to Dishonored.

Anyone looking forward to South Park: Stick of Truth?  This game looks good and I believe Obsidian to make a good game, but I haven't watched a lot of South Park and wonder if the greatness of the game will be lost on me.

I find it strange that they want to make a huge game world again. IMO it's really not what they do best. Also, did they mean "the biggest, even bigger than G3" or just based on R1 and R2?

Seriously, Risen was stronger because it was a smaller gameworld.

Seriously, Risen was stronger because it was a smaller gameworld.

I am a bit worried about them going for a bigger world again too.  I mean, I'm certainly not against the idea of a bigger world, it's just that last time they got really ambitious with the scale of the game world...  Gothic 3 happened.  Granted, with Gothic 3 they were not only making a new game, they were also creating a new engine, with Risen 3 it's using the same engine as the previous game.  In fact, I believe it's still the same engine (modified, no doubt) they've been using since Gothic 3.

Note:  I actually like Gothic 3 quite a bit with the unofficial patch and the content packs, but holy smokes was it an unmitigated disaster when it originally released.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Anyone looking forward to South Park: Stick of Truth?  This game looks good and I believe Obsidian to make a good game, but I haven't watched a lot of South Park and wonder if the greatness of the game will be lost on me.

I am, I've not seen a lot of the show in recent years either but I expect it will still be hilarious even if some of the references are lost on me.