Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which character archetypes would you like to see as companions?

characters archetypes companions NPCs

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: What character archetypes would you like to see as companions? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

Which character archetypes would you like to see? (Part 1)

1. Bruiser with a Soft Center (37 votes [5.96%])

Percentage of vote: 5.96%

2. Sociopathic Hero (83 votes [13.37%])

Percentage of vote: 13.37%

3. Shadow Archetype (69 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Rebellious Spirit (61 votes [9.82%])

Percentage of vote: 9.82%

5. Reluctant Monster (70 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

6. Mentor Archetype (68 votes [10.95%])

Percentage of vote: 10.95%

7. Powers That Be (43 votes [6.92%])

Percentage of vote: 6.92%

8. The Paladin (40 votes [6.44%])

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

9. The Cynic (104 votes [16.75%])

Percentage of vote: 16.75%

10. The Fool (46 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

Which character archetypes would you like to see? (Part 1)

1. The Champion (40 votes [7.17%])

Percentage of vote: 7.17%

2. The Drunken Sailor (54 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. The Gentle Giant (32 votes [5.73%])

Percentage of vote: 5.73%

4. Seeker Archetype (79 votes [14.16%])

Percentage of vote: 14.16%

5. The Storyteller (82 votes [14.70%])

Percentage of vote: 14.70%

6. The Trickster (88 votes [15.77%])

Percentage of vote: 15.77%

7. My Girl Back Home (51 votes [9.14%])

Percentage of vote: 9.14%

8. The Grotesque (48 votes [8.60%])

Percentage of vote: 8.60%

9. Fall-From-Graces Archetype (84 votes [15.05%])

Percentage of vote: 15.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Moonlight Butterfly

Moonlight Butterfly

Crazy Cat Lady of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Am I the only one who loves 'Kindly old woman.' I mean Wynne was amazing in Dragon Age. Flemeth too 'Malevolent mysterious old woman!'. :3
  • Nakia and Maddas like this

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I wouldn't mind seeing a thief somewhere in-between Robin Hood good and selfish **** evil.

Perhaps a hypocritical thief with a surprisingly fair and just moral compass who's quick to call out others for their wrongdoings, but nevertheless steals to get by because he or she somehow fails at doing anything else or any honest work. Someone who sees the hypocricy of who they are and it DOES bother them and make them feel quite guilty from time to time, but nevertheless pushes onward out of....well, simply from living day-to-day. Their story could be about them trying to find a "higher purpose" and put their life of theft behind them or not.
I think that'd be a rather interesting take on a thief for this type of game, given that fantasy settings typically go for a Robin Hood or a typically prick, and while the latter can definitely exist, the reality of the situation of stealing can sometimes be far more grey, with people stealing out of desperate neccesity or as a result of being alienated by society somehow. I don't think glorifying thieves as Robin Hoods is very realistic and it's a tad cliché at this point, but that doesn't mean that a somewhat good (good at heart, but not in practice), conflicted thief couldn't be a likeable character type.

I just think more human or realistic characters are often better, and that's one archetype that comes to mind that doesn't seem represented fairly: always being ironically good or incredibly evil.

ComradeGoby

ComradeGoby

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts
What about a slave that absolutely hates you and everything about you yet is forced to serve you becasue of some reason?

And I know there was Dak'kon but he didn't seem to have as much pure loathing as I imagine this character to have.

Or better yet no type at all but everything has basically been done before.

Grayman

Grayman

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Grayman222
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What about a slave that absolutely hates you and everything about you yet is forced to serve you becasue of some reason?

And I know there was Dak'kon but he didn't seem to have as much pure loathing as I imagine this character to have.

I could see a character like that having a drastic event to their story line where they purposely try to cause a party wipe by stealing or attacking someone in a very powerful friendly or neutral area.

ComradeGoby

ComradeGoby

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts

I could see a character like that having a drastic event to their story line where they purposely try to cause a party wipe by stealing or attacking someone in a very powerful friendly or neutral area.

Yes and then they could succed if you are really underleveled or you have to kill them or if you are more corrupt break their spirit even further and re-enslave them to their core.

With souls being a big part of this game you could do some really dark stuff

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'll give this one some more thought then I'll vote. But in the meantime, there is one archtype I most definitely *don't* wanna see: The red-headed female rogue.

Seriously, do you know how over-used that one is?

BG1 had a red-headed female rogue (Imoen)
BG2 had 2 red-headed female rogues (Imoen, Nalia)
Planescape: Torment had a red-headed female rogue (Annah)
Neverwinter Nights had a red-headed female rogue (Sharwin)
Neverwinter Nights 2 had a red-headed female rogue (Neeshka)
Dragon Age: Origins had a red-headed female rogue (Lelianna)

Please Obsidian, buck this trend with Project Eternity.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Stun, 16 September 2012 - 02:07 AM.

• SqueakyCat and Vin like this

Nakia

Nakia

Rogue of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:nakiarogue
  • Kickstarter Backer
My favorite party in BG/ToB was when I played smart evil. Edwin, the Dwarf Krogan, Sarevok, Jan Jensen. I like characters with a twist to their nature.
The mysterious old lady appeals to me since that is what I am or would like to think I am. :D
  • Moonlight Butterfly likes this

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

I'll give this one some more thought then I'll vote. But in the meantime, there is one archtype I most definitely *don't* wanna see: The red-headed female rogue.

You forgot Mira in KOTOR 2. Ok, not a rogue, but bounty hunter is pretty close.

Maddas

Maddas

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes and then they could succed if you are really underleveled or you have to kill them or if you are more corrupt break their spirit even further and re-enslave them to their core.

With souls being a big part of this game you could do some really dark stuff

Yeah, you could probably have some really dark magic (and characters) based on the whole 'soul magic' concept, depending on where it goes.

BG1 had a red-headed female rogue (Imoen)
BG2 had 2 red-headed female rogues (Imoen, Nalia)
Planescape: Torment had a red-headed female rogue (Annah)
Neverwinter Nights had a red-headed female rogue (Sharwin)
Neverwinter Nights 2 had a red-headed female rogue (Neeshka)
Dragon Age: Origins had a red-headed female rogue (Lelianna)

Please Obsidian, buck this trend with Project Eternity.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely agree. If there's gonna have to be a female rogue, maybe one with less memorable hair-color -- or hell, maybe a character like Inara from Firefly.

My favorite party in BG/ToB was when I played smart evil. Edwin, the Dwarf Krogan, Sarevok, Jan Jensen. I like characters with a twist to their nature.
The mysterious old lady appeals to me since that is what I am or would like to think I am. :D

I hope the way characters interact with the main / player will expand on how RPG games have evolved over the years... I mean, beyond the Fallout 1/2x and P:T style -- to how characters worked in KOTOR2 and Dragon Age: Origins. So playing evil or goody-goody could have [substantial] effects (including negative) on your party members.

Shaewaros

Shaewaros

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Archetypes are powerful tool for bringing something familiar for an otherwise unfamiliar world. In a game such as this one there has to be at least some archetypal characters and motifs so that the players won't feel like they don't have any point of reference in the game world that would connect it to their experiences in the real world. Archetypes don't have to be cardboard characters, they can and should have unique features, but their motif and functionality should be based on familiar principles.

Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hmm... No love for Paladins. Says a lot about the world, I think. Or at least the gaming world. I almost always play them.

Edited by Chaos Theory, 19 September 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't like this poll. Every arch type is a good guy, or grey.

Where are the Narcissist, Power hungry, uncaring, brutal, psychotic. I don't want a care bear party. Give me some villains.

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Where are the Narcissist, Power hungry, uncaring, brutal, psychotic. I don't want a care bear party. Give me some villains.

Sympathetic villains > cartoonishly evil ones.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's really just a matter of taste. Obsidian writing is good.

I would ask for middle-aged and old companions though, because they seem to be rare in games. A battle-hardened landknecht in his 40ies, an old hag of magical powers, something alike.

Anyone thinks we will see blind old lady who would give mystique advice on our party's future again? :3

Edited by Shadenuat, 19 September 2012 - 10:16 AM.

• Maddas likes this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11240 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
This is actually a difficult poll to vote on. I was going to, but then I found myself checking each box in the options above. :facepalm:

I guess for me it depends on the setting and the story. Some of those archetypes work better if the story of the PC is more light-hearted, some work better if the PC's story is about redemption, etc.

A couple of characters I'd like to see in either case are the mentor type (Kreia has made me a fan of this type) and some kind of rogue/shady type who we, the player, don't quite know if we can trust his/her motives.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sympathetic villains > cartoonishly evil ones.

Play some Obs games, Bishop, Ammon Jerro, One of Many, Steven Heck and Henry Leland. These are good villainous characters. None of those poll archetype go anywhere near them.

Edited by Bos_hybrid, 19 September 2012 - 10:25 AM.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6717 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
* A hopelessly drunk wizard with a terminal illness

* A deserter from a defeated army with a penchant for looting and narcotics

* A female priest searching for the illegitimate daughter taken from her by the church

* A master-thief / forger / safe-breaker, a gentleman of breeding and manners, obsessed with gadgets and explosives

* A tribal kid kidnapped by gangsters and trained from birth to be a deadly marksman / assassin and master of firearms

* An unrepentant war criminal, a powerful swordsman, looking for a new cause to rally around and a new master to serve
  • Maddas likes this

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts
All of them and more.

But more than anything, I demand the return of Kivan and Xan.

Preferably as non-elves, non-dwarves.

Edited by Luckmann, 19 September 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Phekdra

Phekdra

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
No archetypes please - I'd like every companion to be crafted with care and originality.
  • Bill Gates' Son likes this

Lucas

Lucas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
An adequate mix of most of them would be great, as long as they make sense; also, their motivation about joining you should be convincing enough.

Personally, I like a mix of "mentor", storyteller/scholars and crazy lunatics (but with a humor edge) that the other companions (and maybe the PC him/herself) just can't stand. Makes for some good bantering :yes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: characters, archetypes, companions, NPCs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users