Dragon Age 2

CoM_Solaufein

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at Bio, but it's such a large forum with so many people coming and going (like Bethforums), the dynamics of moderating are quite different. Besides which, Bio have throughout their history always wanted to be as involved as possible with their devs, and I imagine that means they want to keep a fairly tight handle on the atmosphere of the place in order to ensure it goes well.

They had a large transition from the old forums to the BioWare Social Network. I know Mary, a DA dev, said she had to get permission to post on the new forums and go through a special training class. The abilities of the moderators were likewise restricted, so they could no longer temp-ban someone or delete threads, but could only lock threads and issue warning.

There was an incident where a troll hopped on one day and posted thread after thread of erotic PMs he had supposedly received from the only mod around. They might have changed their policy since then.

Lastly, there's now a red 'report post' button. This doesn't go to the mods or admins, but directly to EA customer service.

TheHarlequin, defender of the innocent, right hand of justice, a hero of the people.

stakhanovite.jpg

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

TheHarlequin, defender of the innocent, right hand of justice, a hero of the people.

My feelings are hurt.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

stakhanovite.jpg

I thought that was Lord of Flies' job?

Just to be a big bad moderator, oppressor of freeedom, devourer of virgins, slayer of heroes, promoter of prudish politics and all that, a friendly reminder to check one of our own guidelines, regarding discussing the forums/moderators etc. of colleagues and competitors :-

On the nominal topic, I wonder how much effort is going into improving my own pet peeves with DA. I didn't mind that combat and only noticed shortcomings in the visuals because people pointed them out. What did leave me with an "umm, nice... I think?" feeling was the lore, setting and writing. Lack of interest in why I should do what I had to do (combined with the frequent grind) left me rather unenthusiastic about a sequel. Not to mention that some of the best dialogue was with the "extras" in the scenes, not the main party members :wacko:

Oh yeah, and the guy with the big "BUY ME!" neon sign in the camp. I'll never forgive that one, DA2 better be damn convincing :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Of course... with the release of the "Ultimate Edition" of DA.. that combines with DA:Awakenings, and every single piece of DLC.. for the price of $60... How many people will this encourage to wait an extra year or two for the Ultimate Edition of DA2... :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Of course... with the release of the "Ultimate Edition" of DA.. that combines with DA:Awakenings, and every single piece of DLC.. for the price of $60... How many people will this encourage to wait an extra year or two for the Ultimate Edition of DA2... :)

Honestly, if there was anybody who thought that the full set wouldn't eventually be available at a significant discount, they were born yesterday. If I hadn't known I'd be bed-ridden for December (and for a chunk of January, which was unscheduled), I have serious doubts whether I would have bought it when it first came out. :wacko:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In my experience the Bio boards are very well moderated. Anyone acting like a jerk gets banned real fast, unlike here.

But it's good to let people act like a jerk, sure beats enforced politeness.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In my experience the Bio boards are very well moderated. Anyone acting like a jerk gets banned real fast, unlike here.

Agreed.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Agreed.

No, it's impossible to have a serious discussion here without people immediately flaming and trolling. There's nothing wrong with politeness, enforced or not.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Really ? I've seen lots of discussion go without flaming or trolling. Loose as those terms can be, you can define trolling as someone making a snide joke about the subject matter as trolling if you try hard enough. All in all, just text on a screen so HTFU :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Depends. Are the jerks obnoxious gits who destroy every thread they enter, including the countless threads they start demanding attention? Or are they the kind of jerk that stops after 10 minutes to say "oh ****, man I'm annoying" and stops.

I'd rather have the former banned and gone.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Depends. Are the jerks obnoxious gits who destroy every thread they enter, including the countless threads they start demanding attention? Or are they the kind of jerk that stops after 10 minutes to say "oh ****, man I'm annoying" and stops.

I'd rather have the former banned and gone.

I've always thought I'm in the latter camp, though. :p

I'm really hard trying to care enough to finish Awakening + Golems + Witch Hunt (the latter two I've not played yet) to have something to import into DA2, but it's not easy.

I'm really hard trying to care enough to finish Awakening + Golems + Witch Hunt (the latter two I've not played yet) to have something to import into DA2, but it's not easy.

Why bother?

It's not like it's going to matter.

Shh. I've paid for them. :p

Why bother?

It's not like it's going to matter.

I like this new you a lot more.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

seriously, it was confirmed that previous saves would matter in DA2? this game looks to me like a new beginning, with only a few ties to origins, why bother?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Because more stuff happened in Origins than what simply happened to the PC. The state of kingdoms and god babies rests in the saves!

Because more stuff happened in Origins than what simply happened to the PC. The state of kingdoms and god babies rests in the saves!

I have the impression that most stuff rather happened in the DLCs (which I all skipped). DA:O has nothing significant happening that's not restricted to Ferelden, which is just a backwater that nobody in the rest of Thedas cares about. My Warden(s) merely killed a dragon and may have rattled some kettles on the political scene. And that's about it.

I don't think the imported saves will lead to anything more significant than in ME2, where occasionally one bumped into some old friends and/or foes and had bit of a chit-chat.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

And people from the Citadel miraculously popped up on Omega. Illium has at least three characters from the first game who appeared in completely different locations. Stuff becomes relevant when writers want it to. In addition to Flemeth recurring.

I don't think anyone's thinking it'll be more significant than ME2. But being as significant isn't a stretch.

Edited by Tale

Agreed.

No, it's impossible to have a serious discussion here without people immediately flaming and trolling. There's nothing wrong with politeness, enforced or not.

Nah, there's several places and forums where people can wander to without much moderation. As long as there's no criminal activity, i see little reason for moderation except for keeping threads coherent.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy