Dragon Age 2

CoM_Solaufein

World of Warcraft. Deathknight vs dw rogue vs sword and board warrior feel completely different.

So, what's new? I've been sort of drifting in and out of this thread. Does the game still suck or has some awesomeness descended from the Bio-Dome and saved it?

Off topic perhaps, but I played WoW for about a year with the director of Bio-Dome.

Did he try to advocate soppy romances in WoW?

sonsofgygax.JPG

If you liked DA1, you will likely like DA2.

If you loathed DA1, you will likely loathe DA2.

Formal fallacy, affirming the consequent

That wasn't a fallacy, he wasn't implying that the latter logically followed from the former. It was just a statement.

It was a fallacy because it assumes that DA1=DA2 which is not true.

No, he used the term likely.

Likely still assumes similitude which DA2 has none to DA1 and that is the reason which has alienated most of us away from it.

There was no logical fallacy in his post. It may have been incorrect (really, none of us are in the position to judge at the moment), but there was no fallacy.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

If you liked DA1, you will likely like DA2.

If you loathed DA1, you will likely loathe DA2.

Formal fallacy, affirming the consequent

That wasn't a fallacy, he wasn't implying that the latter logically followed from the former. It was just a statement.

It was a fallacy because it assumes that DA1=DA2 which is not true.

No, he used the term likely.

Likely still assumes similitude which DA2 has none to DA1 and that is the reason which has alienated most of us away from it.

There was no logical fallacy in his post. It may have been incorrect (really, none of us are in the position to judge at the moment), but there was no fallacy.

If P, then Q

P, therefore Q

That's a fallacy because his statement is not true.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

He didn't say "If P, then Q"

He stated an opinion. If you need him to explicitly state "In my opinion" or "I feel" or anything like that, then that is your problem. That you tried to bring in some conditional connective has just made you look bad.

Look at what he wrote: "If you liked DA1, you will likely like DA2." There's no "If P, then likely Q" in logic, because it's inconclusive.

He's making a statement based upon what he believes. It does not call into question your belief that you will not like DA2 even though you liked DAO. Which is certainly how you appear to be treating it and is the only reason I can think of right now is why you're beating your chest and trying so hard to be right when you are definitely wrong.

His statement may not be right, and it may be right, when DA2 is finally released. But it most certainly is not a logical fallacy. (and it certainly doesn't state DA1=DA2...)

Edited by Thorton_AP

Really, guy? All this silliness because of such a miniml statement? OMG Get over it.

Anyways, to add to the fun... let's get this clear again. Nowhere in that statement does it suggest that if you like DA1 you will 100% like DA2. Silly geeses.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Lessons in logic from Volourn :thumbsup:

Are Dragon Age fans silly geeses?

Continued here

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein