Dragon Age 2

CoM_Solaufein

Lemme show ya a real sword:

Yes, you show them! Death to the evil wooden pallets! :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Look at the size of her sword! Is that Final Fantasy or what?

Arghh!... those swords!... My eyes!... I've gone blind!...

So they didn't make the two handed weapons smaller then.. whoopedoo. That then likely also means that the heavy armor are still ridiculous too. I really didn't know should I laugh or cry when you couldn't even see the person you were talkin to when the camera was behind you while wearing heavy armor.

True, true, we still need more footage before we start worrying/stop worrying.

Please. This crowd was worrying about Dragon Age 2 before it was even announced.

This will follow the pattern of DA:O - [Long period where we mostly speculate it will suck] -> [short period where it comes out, we play it, and mostly like it.] -> [Long period where we realize the 1,001 flaws it has and complain about them.]

This sequence is as inevitable as the sun rising and setting.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Please. This crowd was worrying about Dragon Age 2 before it was even announced.

This will follow the pattern of DA:O - [Long period where we mostly speculate it will suck] -> [short period where it comes out, we play it, and mostly like it.] -> [Long period where we realize the 1,001 flaws it has and complain about them.]

Isn't that all part of the fun of gaming? :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I presume the insta spell casting also effects enemeis so it'll be fun to fight opposing insta casting mages.

It's too bad that too many things ar ebeing dumbded down. Warriors cna't use bows. That's bullcrap. Plain, and simple.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I seem to have missed the "mostly like it part" - it was a pretty ****ing boring game.

DA2 looks no better, mind you. Crappy RPG is now crappy Hack 'n Slash.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

maybe it will be a brilliant hack&slash. Bio just have to decide which one they want - rpg or hacknslash - and focus on that

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well lets review:

Dragon Age was a BG inspired RPG set in a trite setting with a run of the mill fantasy plot. It was too combat heavy, and the system was too prone to exploits.

I hated the graphics, and was bored to death by most of the characters. Considering that there is no competition whatsoever, and nothing else to scratch the same itch it was a 3-4 star effort, depending on your mileage.

*takes crystal ball out*

Dragon Age 2 looks like a third person console hack and slash, that will be like ME 2 (meaning you'll be watching 60% of the time and playing perhaps 40% of the time), without the nice graphics, but probably sporting a larger game world. It'll be set in the same setting, which wont be improved one bit (if ME-->ME2 is a valid comparison). It will see you save the world with a party of angsty emo characters with a fighting system that will be a decade out of place when compared to contemporary action games. Actual world interaction will be minimal to non existent because Gothic 1 and 2 never happened. It will feature mature content in the form of bloodbaths, sexual interactions without actual sex, and real world problems of the characters (again, taken from the world view of a US teen and hollywood a.k.a "daddy issues").

At the time its released the PC will be so piss poor in games you'll be forced to play it, and the combination of relaxingly stupid gameplay (because you just can't put the effort to play anything that really requires skill) and polished, comforting and familiar plot (wonder why its familiar?) will leave you feeling you actually played something, and that although vaguely unsatisfying it really must be very good because you stuck all the way to the end.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

[...]will leave you feeling you actually played something, and that although vaguely unsatisfying it really must be very good because you stuck all the way to the end.

ahaha, nicely put >_<

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well lets review:

Dragon Age was a BG inspired RPG set in a trite setting with a run of the mill fantasy plot. It was too combat heavy, and the system was too prone to exploits.

I hated the graphics, and was bored to death by most of the characters. Considering that there is no competition whatsoever, and nothing else to scratch the same itch it was a 3-4 star effort, depending on your mileage.

*takes crystal ball out*

Dragon Age 2 looks like a third person console hack and slash, that will be like ME 2 (meaning you'll be watching 60% of the time and playing perhaps 40% of the time), without the nice graphics, but probably sporting a larger game world. It'll be set in the same setting, which wont be improved one bit (if ME-->ME2 is a valid comparison). It will see you save the world with a party of angsty emo characters with a fighting system that will be a decade out of place when compared to contemporary action games. Actual world interaction will be minimal to non existent because Gothic 1 and 2 never happened. It will feature mature content in the form of bloodbaths, sexual interactions without actual sex, and real world problems of the characters (again, taken from the world view of a US teen and hollywood a.k.a "daddy issues").

At the time its released the PC will be so piss poor in games you'll be forced to play it, and the combination of relaxingly stupid gameplay (because you just can't put the effort to play anything that really requires skill) and polished, comforting and familiar plot (wonder why its familiar?) will leave you feeling you actually played something, and that although vaguely unsatisfying it really must be very good because you stuck all the way to the end.

wow. a 5 star post. one that is crushingly depressing as well, thanks boo!!

(i actually do like mass effect 2 though, quite a bit, even after 4 playthroughs, i'm not sure what that means)

this actually made me think about:

characters in ME 2 whose identity did not revolve around teen/daddy issues: Garrus, legion, zaeed, Mordin

those who did: Tali, Miranda, Jacob, Grunt, Thane and Samara (issue was BEING a parent lol),

im not sure: Jack

well, thats a pretty depressing ratio. Of course I'm not one who can bash too much, my first attempt at a novel primarily revolved around the relationship between an adopted father and a daughter...

was dragon age the same? i cant remember right now any parent/child driven character arcs except morrigan and alistair,

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What huge swords? You mean those toothpicks?

Lemme show ya a real sword:

IMG_2079.jpg

Someone actually tried to make a replica of Guts' sword in Berserk? Sheesh :ermm:

As for the combat video.....Wow...the simplification of basically everything. It's like a regression to something completely juvenile in every department. Warriors can't use bows? What are they thinking?!

[insert Seinfeld giving up and leaving-gif here]

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

/thread

/forum? :ermm:

'cept you forget the ->[status where we deny ever having liked it] :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

As stated before, the video is from the embellished part of the storyline told by the fat dwarf, where all darkspawn practically die in one hit (or blow up when FemHawke sneezes at them). The player in the video didn't even pause the game, giving the impression of a straight-to-bargain-bin slasher.

If the first gameplay video of DA:O would've been the battle in front of the Denerim gates, where legions of darkspawn die in one hit as well, reactions would've been the same. I'm curious to seeing an official gameplay video featuring a non-embellished part; two-handed sword animations better be not as slow as in DA:O.

And on another note, Lair of the Shadowbroker reveals that Garrus suffers from some pretty major mommy issues. Nobody escapes Freud in a BioWare game.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I think my cycle is different.

[Get really excited] -> [Hate it] -> [Give up Bioware games] -> [Find some silly reason to try a new one, end up liking that one] -> [Repeat]

Seriously.

I'm due for a hate stage. I liked the last two. Two in a row? Man am I going to be enraged by the next game.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am still at the hate stage for ME2. God knows if i ever will even try it.

DA2 is at "i can count to potato"-stage.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I would never have tried ME2 if I hadn't liked Dragon Age.

I never would have considered buying Dragon Age if

Claudia Black didn't have a role.

As I hated Mass Effect.

Heck, I bought that Dragon Age book, Stolen Throne. Couldn't get past the second chapter.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

This will follow the pattern of DA:O - [Long period where we mostly speculate it will suck] -> [short period where it comes out, we play it, and mostly like it.] -> [Long period where we realize the 1,001 flaws it has and complain about them.[

Lot of us love to believe that this pattern holds true all the time (funnily enough, it's usually by those who believe themselves to be different), but meh, Oblivion and FO3 were the only really big examples.

DA:O always looked good to me in development and I was always going to buy, and after that I naturally assumed I'd be getting DA2 & 3. It takes quite a bit of crap shoveled at your feet to turn you 180' from that, but crap is being shoveled indeed.

wow. a 5 star post. one that is crushingly depressing as well, thanks boo!!

(i actually do like mass effect 2 though, quite a bit, even after 4 playthroughs, i'm not sure what that means)

this actually made me think about:

characters in ME 2 whose identity did not revolve around teen/daddy issues: Garrus, legion, zaeed, Mordin

those who did: Tali, Miranda, Jacob, Grunt, Thane and Samara (issue was BEING a parent lol),

im not sure: Jack

well, thats a pretty depressing ratio. Of course I'm not one who can bash too much, my first attempt at a novel primarily revolved around the relationship between an adopted father and a daughter...

was dragon age the same? i cant remember right now any parent/child driven character arcs except morrigan and alistair,

See I don't find it depressing because I gave up on the DA IP halfway through the first game. I do expect/hope CD Projekt and other new talents step up to the job of rejuvenating the genre.

Family issues and other assorted interpersonal problems are so prevalent in newer Bioware games that it seriously brings into question the psychological state of the writers.

Whereas Torment's characters were going through what could be described as a deeply spiritual crisis (of not belonging, mostly), Bioware's are lost in this horribly mundane circle of issues.

Which is why Bioware should either try to do Torment style tormented characters (as they seem to be trying so hard) or larger than life heroic fantasy figures. Either will be fine. But seeing Sten and Jacob moan and act like little girls over nothing while at the same time trying to be hardcore tough guys does not work.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

No delay in casting is a very large advantage to the mage, at any rate.

In DA:O, the time it took to prepare a fireball usually meant the mooks already reached the party before you were ready. It's a very large advantage if you can immediately throw one at them... not to mention with the knock-down effect it should mean by the time the mooks are up again, you can launch another one.

Some spells had actual cast times with a cast bar, but I don't think that DAO's fireball was one of them. The "cast time" was simply the animation to cast such spell IIRC.

Most spells in DAO were like this actually.

Haven't seen the vid, but is it just no casting time, or no casting time AND no cooldown?

I didn't see casting time or cool down, but the PC was a fighter.

The part I saw looked a great deal like Dynasty Warriors gameplay. Leaked german vid.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Haven't seen the vid, but is it just no casting time, or no casting time AND no cooldown?

I didn't see casting time or cool down, but the PC was a fighter.

The part I saw looked a great deal like Dynasty Warriors gameplay. Leaked german vid.

May God forgive BW, because I sure as hell won't.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif