RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That good sir is a space battleship, not a space submarine. Ill not have you besmirching the good name of my favorite childhood cartoon, Star Blazers. ;)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That good sir is a space battleship, not a space submarine. Ill not have you besmirching the good name of my favorite childhood cartoon, Star Blazers. ;)

Not to quote myself but holy crap, buying the DVD sets is expensive!

/derail

Bioshock 2 has a dlc that I never even heard of?

Bioshock 2 is a tough act to follow. I don't envy anyone who has to come up with the storyline for a ten-dollar downloadable add-on to one of the best written videogames you will ever play. That's like having to make a short film to screen after Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane? Really? Bioshock 2 is Citizen Kane?

That's just...odd.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What is that guy on? KOTOR doesn't force you to be good.

It does when you're the kind of guy who equates evil to "complete sociopath on a killing spree." Don't murder someone the moment you lay eyes on them, you're being good.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You could stand to be more evil in KOTOR.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What is that guy on? KOTOR doesn't force you to be good.

It does when you're the kind of guy who equates evil to "complete sociopath on a killing spree." Don't murder someone the moment you lay eyes on them, you're being good.

That's not what the article's talking about though.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It sure appears to be when he's talking about RDR. He's running around depopulating towns trying to be an offense to man and god. Not simply evil, but killing everyone.

He mentions getting a failed mission for shooting random people in the tutorial. If that's not "I think evil is random acts of violence" then nothing is.

Edited by Tale

This is why Larian is my favourite developer:

Hi all,

I can understand the frustrations, and it wasn't the easiest decision to make, but then again, we didn't choose the easiest path for this either - Let me give you some more background and then offer a potential solution for those of you who want to play the DKS content and already own ED:

The obvious thing to do would've been to ship FOV, and then just bundle that with ED together with those patches that never got released. When we initially informed publishing partners that we actually wanted to do more than that, make some kind of Divinity 2.5 and actually invest quite a lot into it, they had a very hard time understanding why we'd even contemplate doing something like that. Nobody we talked to at the time wanted to fund it, and in general it was considered a strange thing to want to do. Our ratio however was pretty simple - got a wide range of ratings, going from very good to not enough - in most cases the not enough ones isolated specific issues which given the means we could fix, whereas the good ones didn't mind those issues and focussed on the good parts.

That left us with the feeling that the job was incomplete and often heard statement was "if only". So, we figured rather than saying "if only" we should just do it, and we spent the year between the original release of in Germany and now on upgrading/fixing/cutting/polishing as much as possible.

At some point we'd gone as far as we could without starting to change the content, and there were some parts in there which we really wanted to tackle - especially the entire hack & slash & item fever part as well as those flying fortresses which didn't materialize as originally envisioned. The biggest stumbling block was save-game compatibility where no realy good decision could be taken. Either we ditched it, either we didn't do the changes. We opted for doing the changes, and aim DKS at players who didn't buy ED, which would be in any case the same target audience as a bundle pack of ED and FOV.

Leaves us of course with all of you who already bought ED. FOV includes all engine optimizations and also upgrades the artwork and of course includes every fix that we've made ever since the last patch was released. It also modifies the gameplay as much as can be done by changing the engine and installing additional content, but what it can't do is replace content on which the existing savegames are dependent, which is something unique to DKS, because one of the features of FOV is that you can continue playing with your existing character from ED.

FOV really is for those who want to continue the story without having to restart from scratch. If we'd remove the feature that you can continue to play, then we could include the DKS content within FOV, but when we had to decide what to do, it was felt that that that would've been a big problem for a lot of people.

So, what we could do is the following - we can provide a FOVTODKS patch which will transform ED+FOV into DKS, though if you apply it, you will not be able to load any of your old savegames. If that's what you'd like to have, knowing that your ED savegames will not work anymore, we can try to figure something out to make that a reality. It's also going to be a pretty big patch because really a lot of assets change.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.ph...233&fpart=1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You like Divinity II? Never paid much attention to it. What are its strengths?

I completely forgot that Divinity 2 already received it's first expansion. Is it any good?

It's only out in Germany, but from what I've read it appears to own.

And of course, there seems to be yet another "impossible" boss battle at the end.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.