Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

Yeah, Ross' campaign (Accursed Farms) didn't really need to be gaming-specific here, the right to be able to use the things that you've bought seems like it should be pretty obvious and inalienable.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Ok, now that looks much, much better than the awful thing they released a long long time ago. I still want to see more of how they are handling individual systems, but the combat seems more representative of the original game (do I spy awkward two handed stabbing with a short sword for unskilled fighter?) At the very least they renewed my interest.

Damn, visually looks really good and still true to the original. I'm just really damn scared about all those other changes they are making...

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 8/3/2024 at 11:36 PM, Wormerine said:

And for 99.99% of the playerbase prob neither is Avowed😁

Well, will be curious to see what Gamepass will release in November.

Well, it's not gonna release on Xbox One anymore, I think? 😄 Speaking of which, for a game that's so close to release... I personally still have no idea what it's actually like. Except that it's gonna be another action RPG power fantasy set in the same universe as that piratey CRPG nobody has ever played. Except me.

Btw, if companies can learn something from Larian, it's that they're good salesmen. And I don't mean that in an ironic way. The entire tagline of their campaign was, without spelling it out: "Do whatever silly you like. And share it for all world to see." Be that casting fireballs into goblins with your friends. Stacking crates to get into places we never imagined you to. Or... getting humped by a bear. Which all naturally fit nicely into that whole tabletop/D&D thing. (Anybody simply copying that bear stunt would completely miss the context of it all).

Edited by Sven_
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sven_ said:

The entire tagline of their campaign was, without spelling it out: "Do whatever silly you like. And share it for all world to see." Be that casting fireballs into goblins with your friends. Stacking crates to get into places we never imagined you to. Or... getting humped by a bear. Which all naturally fit nicely into that whole tabletop/D&D thing. (Anybody simply copying that bear stunt would completely miss the context of it all).

Very interesting. This is exactly the conclusion I myself had recently come to about the reason for BG3's popularity. And it also perfectly captures why I am soooooooo NOT a fan, because it is *exactly* these things in/about a videogame that would aggravate me and/or be something I would consider a complete waste of my time.

On 8/3/2024 at 11:16 PM, Azdeus said:

These thing have quite literally happened in other industries (See Fisker cars sunroof), and will likely happen again, to physical objects. There is a reason why Louis Rossman is constantly angry. Sure, I don't think anyone can definetly prove that the other industries aped gaming, but it's highly likely that they did.

And "always will be non-aaa gaming as well", I'm sorry to say, is an asinine arguement and you know it.

Why is it highly likely that they took it from gaming? Seems just how would go as the opportunity is there, so if gaming's "saved",  they'll still lock in, or try to lock in people with tractors, or toasters or whatever.  So seems independent of a lot else, was just one of his selling points that didn't work with me

I'd expect non-AAA gaming wouldn't have the means for these systems, and programming is more and more accessible these days.  More of a worst case scenario, heh, well or if "saving" is the right term.

I still don't think it's worth saving though :p

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Whoops, double post.

He's very wrong about **** customers knowing and feeling shame for being **** though :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Why is it highly likely that they took it from gaming? Seems just how would go as the opportunity is there, so if gaming's "saved",  they'll still lock in, or try to lock in people with tractors, or toasters or whatever.  So seems independent of a lot else, was just one of his selling points that didn't work with me

I'd expect non-AAA gaming wouldn't have the means for these systems, and programming is more and more accessible these days.  More of a worst case scenario, heh, well or if "saving" is the right term.

I still don't think it's worth saving though :p

It would be a precedent. There is very little practical difference to requiring your BMW or Tesla to have an online connection for their seat heaters or requiring your game to be always online.

I wouldn't call Conan Exiles triple A, but they sure as **** changed it to not support private local servers anymore (Unless they walked that **** back once I dropped my interest). Vermintide and Elite Dangerous also comes to mind.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

39 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It would be a precedent. There is very little practical difference to requiring your BMW or Tesla to have an online connection for their seat heaters or requiring your game to be always online.

I wouldn't call Conan Exiles triple A, but they sure as **** changed it to not support private local servers anymore (Unless they walked that **** back once I dropped my interest). Vermintide and Elite Dangerous also comes to mind.

Given the fiasco with John Deere, a precedent's not needed.  I guess in a certain way we've been here before, with Apple and maybe IBM going further back ? Largely will be a lot of independent scuffles in given industries, I feel.  But I don't think either way gaming will die, it'll just be more an intolerable pain in the ass, which it has been for me for 15 years or so at this point, heh.

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Why is it highly likely that they took it from gaming?

Seems likely the ideas came from computing*. They are, after all, all run through/ implemented by computers. Along with ubiquitous internet- though the idea of having to buy a dongle to stick on your M series to get its indicators working is kind of amusing. No doubt it would have happened anyway, but the blueprint is all based on software licensing because at heart that's what it is.

*As an example, Steam. Gateway app that is hugely popular for being a gateway app, and people happily/ proudly give 30% of their cash to Valve for- most of the time- doing pretty much nothing. Which company wouldn't want to add 30% to revenue for doing nothing while being potentially thanked for it?

• Like 1

That's sort of what I'm getting at, it's not really from gaming rather there's an avenue to lock in and, uh, "manage" customers like that, so of course they'd use it. 

1 minute ago, Zoraptor said:

Which company wouldn't want to add 30% to revenue for doing nothing while being potentially thanked for it?

My company taking money from customers for a product that barely works and they barely use comes to mind.  Really bizaree how financial firms spend their money sometimes.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

That's sort of what I'm getting at, it's not really from gaming rather there's an avenue to lock in and, uh, "manage" customers like that, so of course they'd use it.

Practically yeah, it was an inevitability whether gaming had the same or not.

(I guess the point is that- theoretically- if it all stemmed from gaming/ general software then getting protections for them could (should, in an ideal world) be applied to everything software including service licensing for generic 'hardware' in a sort of pro consumer grandfather clause.

It will be hard enough to get them applied to gaming though despite the fractured nature of the stakeholders. You'd be about as likely to get them applied to, say, BMW and Mercedes as to get wolves their protected status back with Ursula in charge of the EU. Though I would mention as I usually do in these discussions that some places do already have guarantees for being fit for use and durable in place for software anyway without the sky falling)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Seems likely the ideas came from computing*. They are, after all, all run through/ implemented by computers. Along with ubiquitous internet- though the idea of having to buy a dongle to stick on your M series to get its indicators working is kind of amusing. No doubt it would have happened anyway, but the blueprint is all based on software licensing because at heart that's what it is.

*As an example, Steam. Gateway app that is hugely popular for being a gateway app, and people happily/ proudly give 30% of their cash to Valve for- most of the time- doing pretty much nothing. Which company wouldn't want to add 30% to revenue for doing nothing while being potentially thanked for it?

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/FLA_Offer_gb

They're getting there

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

have no idea how pc hardware work

heard intel cpu are terrible now

wonder what to buy for next pc

Well, there’s not much choice really. AMD. Especially with the information, that Nvidia had to delay their next chipset introduction due to the design flaws. Although this impacts enterprise customers, there are more and more rumours emerging about the delay pf RTX 50**s as well. 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

8 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Conan Exiles does not require online access. They set it up so you can play it single-player/LAN.

• Thanks 2

On 8/5/2024 at 9:34 PM, Zoraptor said:

Not disagreeing with the main point, but Steam does provide hosting, (end-user-unfriendly) update management, and some social fluff (like 5-33%* from any TF2 hats-like items sold and also forums). No idea about the operating costs, but I agree that the 30% fee seems too much. Then again, I think, it comes from the time of physical distribution. Epic went with a lower cut (12%?), Itch.io allows to choose.

*Can't be less than 1 of the smallest type of the currency used for the publisher and Valve.

Booking dot com is pressuring hotels to raise commission to 25% 😕

In 2015 it was 10% with the option to do 15% for increased visibility.

Then 15% became the standard and you had to give 20% to enter the genius program of select hotels pushed to good customers.

Then they changed the genius program, while keeping the name, removing all benefits for the hotels, but hey, if you reduce the commission, we'll drop you to page 20.

But customers are happy paying a quarter of their travel costs to parasitic sites.

Why would gaming be different?

• Sad 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

6 hours ago, melkathi said:

Why would gaming be different?

Because gamers are discerning and intelligent people.

• Haha 2

I seriously dislike Kevin Hart. Or at least his acting. So I don't think I'll force myself to endure this.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).