Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

I think people buried the lede concerning the Microsoft acquisition of Activision. Call of Doody and Diablo are all fine and well, but Activision owns the Arcanum IP, which is to say that Microsoft now owns the Arcanum IP. Forget about everything else, Arcanum 2 is now possible. This needs to happen. WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

• Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I think people buried the lede concerning the Microsoft acquisition of Activision. Call of Doody and Diablo are all fine and well, but Activision owns the Arcanum IP, which is to say that Microsoft now owns the Arcanum IP. Forget about everything else, Arcanum 2 is now possible. This needs to happen. WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

But won't that be direct competition for the new inXile steampunk game?

Ive had bad luck with Arcanum. Back in aught aught when it came out, the physical copy I purchased had two "Disk 1" (or maybe two "Disk 2"), so I could never install the game. Then I bought it on GoG, spent way too much time creating my character, then died 10 steps into the game from a wolf killing me. Turned it off and never went back. :( 

13 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

But won't that be direct competition for the new inXile steampunk game?

I don't think so. There's room for more than 1 steampunk game at any given time. Plus, Clockwork Revolution is likely releasing in 2024. Arcanum 2, even if they started pre-production today, would likely be at least 2 years away.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Who would make it, though? Would Arcanum IP made Tim Cain be willing to come back from semi-retirement?

I also worry, if Arcanum 2 could even be as ambitious as the original was. Arc1 was probably too ambitious, but I am not sure anyone would be willing to invest into what made Arcanum special.

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Then I bought it on GoG, spent way too much time creating my character, then died 10 steps into the game from a wolf killing me. Turned it off and never went back. :( 

A story as old as time.

Or at least as old as Chris Avellone's Arcanum Let's Play.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Josh Sawyer would be up for making Pillars of Eternity3 if he got a lot of budget fot it. So... still no hope for PoE3?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/obsidians-josh-sawyer-wants-to-do-pillars-of-eternity-3-with-baldurs-gate-3s-budget

I think if BG3 does very well, and everything I've seen points toward it having doing very well, then there's going to be at least some interest in trying to recreate that. PoE 3 seems like an obvious contender for Microsoft to try that and I'd think Sawyer would be a natural choice to helm it. So maybe a bit more optimistic than no hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Question is, why did Deadfire (apparently) fail so hard? Was it the pirate setting, or was it that PoE1 got overhyped hard and the majority of players actually didn't really like it?

Personally I never finished PoE1. Game felt too long, middle was a slog, and I'm really not a fan of rtwp combat blobs.

On the other hand, I played through Deadfire 2 times (new playthrough right after the first one!), despite the rtwp blob combat. Guess I managed better, because I think pirates are cool. Also the game is quite a bit shorter. My only issue with it is that the side-content islands felt like nothing but simple fillers, and that many of the quests felt very formulaic. Like, by now I can 100% predict which choices will show up for me, what exactly I can do, and how it very likely will turn out.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

19 minutes ago, Lexx said:

On the other hand, I played through Deadfire 2 times (new playthrough right after the first one!), despite the rtwp blob combat. Guess I managed better, because I think pirates are cool. Also the game is quite a bit shorter.

Is it shorter? If my memory serves me well both games were in around 80h marks.

8 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think if BG3 does very well, and everything I've seen points toward it having doing very well, then there's going to be at least some interest in trying to recreate that. PoE 3 seems like an obvious contender for Microsoft to try that and I'd think Sawyer would be a natural choice to helm it. So maybe a bit more optimistic than no hope.

I wouldn't mind seeing him take another crack at it, if for nothing else but to see how or if he would change the formula.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I actually fired up PoE last week. On loading, I saw that four of my six party members (who I'd completely forgotten their names) had a level-up pending. I went through the level-up process for one of them after reading a bunch of spell and ability names, after which I couldn't be bothered doing the other three and quit.

BG3 and Solasta co-op controlling two characters each feels right to me. I have a parallel BG3 single-player run which feels right at the edge of what my brain can track, which is helped by pre-existing knowledge of the D&D rules. Micro-managing six characters with completely alien classes and abilities to me is just overwhelming and I can't handle it.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

11 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Josh Sawyer would be up for making Pillars of Eternity3 if he got a lot of budget fot it. So... still no hope for PoE3?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/obsidians-josh-sawyer-wants-to-do-pillars-of-eternity-3-with-baldurs-gate-3s-budget

Pillars of Eternity does not need to compete with whatever Larian is making - despite the cursory similarities, they are fundamentally different.

Larian cannot write or design UI or combat encounters, while constantly disregarding the lore for no reason (from the Divinity 1 MC in D:OS2 to the Emperor in their latest title, and that lore was not even theirs to take a dump on).

Obsidian, on the other hand, has excellent writing, relatable characters, meaningful and impactful choices, amazing graphics and UI, and engaging combat and stealth. Also, the pause function and system requirements. VA and mo-cap are a waste of resources for CRPGs, while the only paise-worthy aspect of Larian's games is the ability to skip all those mo-capped voice-acted scenes with a well-launched fireball (i.e. immersive sim elements). Which occasionally breaks the narrative (e.g. the boss thrown into the chasm teleports onto the platform to die in a cut-scene), because even this was poorly-implemented.

While it is unlikely with Microsoft, I would definitely back another PoE game.

---

Length-wise, I think, Deadfire was shorter, which was most welcome.

• Like 3

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/meet-the-men-hiding-their-fifa-ultimate-team-addiction-from-their-families

Producer Matt Prior and executive producer Andrew Wilson, now EA’s CEO, were taking note of the gacha boom in Asia. Having also admired a short-lived trading card mode from a previous FIFA spinoff game in 2007, they decided to try and combine the two. It would be called FIFA Ultimate Team. It’s safe to say it took off. But if opening packs to get football player cards was such a lucrative business, why aren’t Panini and Topps, the companies that make the football stickers I spent my pocket money on, recording similar profits?

“Without a shadow of a doubt, there are clear correspondences between loot boxes and problem gambling,” says behavioural scientist Dr. David Zendle. Considered a world expert on the subject, Zendle has been investigating this link for as long as Gaurav has been spending money on Ultimate Team. “If you look at the roulette-like way that CS:GO, for example, presents the opening of the loot box, and then you look at the spinning of the wheel on even a classic fruit machine, there are striking visual and auditory similarities,” he tells me from his office at the University of York.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him take another crack at it, if for nothing else but to see how or if he would change the formula.

I would very much like to see more mid and big budget RPGs that aren't off-brand Elder Scrolls things. Sawyer is a component guy and I think he'd be able to make something I'd enjoy more than BG3 if he had the budget.

One thing though, BG3 characters are absolutely insane and that works for me. Stuff like His Majesty or the foot fetish goblins are absolutely great and a hypothetical PoE3 would benefit from some of that zany nonsense.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands