What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

Funny, I was just thinking about how many years I've been here. I was a year "late" to the party, however. Does that mean I'm a youngster? Being a youngster sounds good, so I'm going to pretend it does.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I joined up around a year late as well. I didn't start really hanging around until after I finished KotOR 2 though. I came here trying to figure out what the heck happened to the ending of that game, and I ended up staying forever. I think the NHL thread was what drew me in. I miss that one.

My father went into hospice care on Tuesday because of the rapid downturn he went into over the weekend.  After spending the last 24 hours with my sister at the hospice, he passed away mostly in his sleep at 0550 this morning.  Gotten home, snagged a couple of hours sleep, and now onto contemplation of the needful things and divvying stuff up between my sister and myself for phone calls and such to make.

I now need to find where a mysterious fortune is so I can start on my Batman path.

• Sad 15

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

My father went into hospice care on Tuesday because of the rapid downturn he went into over the weekend.  After spending the last 24 hours with my sister at the hospice, he passed away mostly in his sleep at 0550 this morning.  Gotten home, snagged a couple of hours sleep, and now onto contemplation of the needful things and divvying stuff up between my sister and myself for phone calls and such to make.

I now need to find where a mysterious fortune is so I can start on my Batman path.

Very sorry to hear that, good luck dealing with the aftermath

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My condolences, Raithe.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sorry to hear that Raithe, my condolences on your loss.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Condolences and best wishes, Raithe.

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 2/7/2024 at 4:26 PM, Amentep said:

I'm guessing a few of the oldsters are hitting 20 on here today...

And with today, so do I. Played last holdout at Interplay for three days. :yes:

On 2/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, Raithe said:

My condolences. :(

A while back my father asked if I could help him type a bunch of pages he only has as scans. Even though there are rougly two hundred of them, he said, they are written with large letters and he already typed up fifty of them. It would be much faster if I would help him out, as he is a very slow typer (which still is an understatement). He said he would dictate the contents and we would be done really quickly.

Admiral Ackbar looked at me and said:

hqdefault.jpg

However, I wilfully chose to ingore him and agreed. I can type quite fast, not at a world record pace, but well above average, so I figured I will waste a weekend and a half at best. Alas, the devil, as the proverb goes, is in the details. What are the details? Well, am I glad you asked, lest I would write this complaint without an audience. He got his hands on minutes of meetings of the local municipality dated over a hundred years back, from directly after the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and before the rise of Austro-Fascism (and the Third Reich later). Needless to say that minutes of that age were handwritten.

That would still be not so bad, however, they were handwritten, under severe time constraints, by people with a decidedly poor grasp of grammar and syntax, in the parlance of their time, and most damning of all, in German cursive. Well, how bad can that be? Have a look:

WdylCgc.png

It is not his slow typing that is an issue. Deciphering the texts on the other hand? Very much so.

In case you are interested in comparing German cursive to modern scripts, the first couple of lines read: "[...] eine Subvention von 2000 Kr. zu bewilligen. Dieser Antrag wird einstimmig angenommen. Anschließend darauf verliest G. Ruckteschel einen Brief des Schriftführers der Lokalorganisation um Anschaffung eines Kastens zur Aufbewahrung der schriftlichen Agenden. Diesem Wunsche wird einstimmig Rechnung getragen."

The second to last word of the seventh line illustrates one of the issues rather well. The word is schriftlichen, and as you can see, the letters used for s, f and h are dreadfully similar to each other when written hastily, and there is very little difference between the t and the l. Good thing these letters are not so commonly used in Germanic languages. Dodged a bullet, huh? :yes:

Minor historical fact, it was Hitler who did away with both German cursive and Fraktur, the blackletter typeface used to print German books, with the Normalschrifterlass in 1941, saying they were Jewish letters and calling them German is wrong.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

@majestic that looks like a job for an AI to decrypt 🤔

@Raithe my condolences 😢

Decided my new Samsung tv needed a bit more oomph!, so I ordered a soundbar for it. It is on back order and I wont get it for another 3 weeks, but it was AUD $700 off RRP, so I guess I can wait a few weeks (down from $2000 to $1300 while on sale)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Condolences Raithe.

My dad's recent lung checkup did not go great. The tl;dr of the situation is that he didn't take off enough time to heal and his lungs aren't recovering, may be even worse. He got yelled at by his doctor that he'd get put on a ventilator if he got worse, which hopefully scares him enough to sit his ass down for a month.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I know I've posted pictures of the life outside of my place before, but this preying mantis sure was eye catching, sitting there on the mosquito net. Grabbed a measuring tape (with cm & inches just for good measure). Looked like it was doing stretching exercises, pushing its from legs (the "grabbers") way out in front of it's body. I went outside, just to check where the front end of the insect was before taking a picture with my phone (partly obscured by the door itself) 😝

9LQhAac.jpg?1

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

b04.gif

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got new eyeglasses, so that's the excitement for the year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

I know I've posted pictures of the life outside of my place before, but this preying mantis sure was eye catching, sitting there on the mosquito net. Grabbed a measuring tape (with cm & inches just for good measure). Looked like it was doing stretching exercises, pushing its from legs (the "grabbers") way out in front of it's body. I went outside, just to check where the front end of the insect was before taking a picture with my phone (partly obscured by the door itself) 😝

9LQhAac.jpg?1

That thing is 4 feet long!

I mean what's more likely, I'm misreading the measurements or that's a comically oversized tape measure and the largest bug in the world. It's obviously the latter.

• Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

YouTube giving me gold today

Worth it just for that awesome photo of Tito

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Worth it just for that awesome photo of Tito

Ho Chi Minh really looks like a weird Chinese martial arts master in a cheap 80ies movie. :p

• Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My game YT account is kaput, gone. Made me feel weird for a few minutes but I don't use it/care about using it anymore so I don't miss it, either. 

But anyone who maybe wanted to rewatch the FO:NV Thriller video once every few years, you're outta luck now. 😛   hahaha

Edit:  The older I get the more I miss the non-internet days. I mean in terms of my life/habits/hobbies etc.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looking at 3 email chains all about the same issue in my inbox. And each of them has an out of date snapshot of the issue.

Fun day.

• Gasp! 1