What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

expecting meaningful orthopedic and/or neurological advice from a car sales person? 

'cause sometimes the mistake is so obvious you don't even notice.

unsurprising, car sales persons is trying to sell you a car-- their skill set is in sales. chances are you wouldn't depend on car salesperson for tax advice. wouldn't rely on the car sales person for insights 'bout whether to buy i-bonds this year. considering lasik surgery? well then, the car sales person is you obvious lighthouse guiding you thorough the storm o' concerns. 

aside, we hated our bmw x-5, but that thing were disproportionate heavy for its size, which we were told by a not salesperson contributed to the smooth ride we enjoyed, and the driver seat were so comfortable it bordered on the vulgar. when we finally got rid o' the bmw, we felt a sigh o' relief, but we do miss the comfort.

given the number o' people with back problems in the US, am suspecting is any number o' reputable publications and sites which offer car advice focused on back issues.

car salesperson.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 12/16/2023 at 1:50 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Hubby test drove a few Lexus'. They weren't any better re: his back being unable to handle even average freeway road jitter  w/out pain. I guess $80k cars have no better suspensions (or tires, perhaps). He was a little annoyed with the sales reps because he told them what/why he was looking for and they all gave him blank stares as if they didn't understand what "smooth/soft ride" and a bad back meant. One told him to try the 4x4 versions ...

Personally I think what he needs is a custom car cushion type thing, maybe even one with side supports/straps.  I find no matter how great car suspensions are, or how fancy the leather covering is, most car *seats* are quite lacking on any actual padding. Although specific tires can make a big difference too sometimes. Maybe those car dealers all have performance tires that aren't very "soft riding."

99% of modern cars have low profile tyres, that would be the simplest way to get a more comfortable ride. When I upgraded my car to a sports suspension kit I there was a crazy difference when I put my winter tyres on that has just 10% larger profile.

When I grew up my neighbour had problems with his back and he needed a good ride in his cars, he only had Citroen cars. I don't know if that is even true today or if they are available in the US.

Edit; My grandfather also had lots of trouble with his back and hips, he only drove Mercedes because of that.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 12/17/2023 at 10:24 PM, Azdeus said:

My grandfather also had lots of trouble with his back and hips, he only drove Mercedes because of that.

Yeah, hubby finally got someone to mention air suspension (whatever that is/why it's different, I wouldn't know, hah), and said BMW/Mercedes were more likely to have that, or something. Also something about specific vehicle car seat design, maybe also related to air, or er ... I forget. Said hubby's van actually had an option for such seats back when, and one might be able to find one at a junkyard and just install it. *shrug*

We weren't planning on buying a new luxury car, just to say. He just wanted to drive newer cars/check if they would be any better than what we have, and/or buy something used if he could find anything, or figure out whether he's just stuck so to speak. When he has to go back down south to original office he's renting cars, to try some that way, too.

It's all an adjustment. I can picture eventually I'll be running around town picking up hobby parts, snacks and beer for him. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I always thought BMWs rode a little rough but maybe that's just my experience with the 4 that my wife has had.

Because their philosophy is being sporty or at least it was. Even their SUVs are on the firm side.

On a different note I rode in a new Q2 Audi in the back seat and I think an old time carriage had more suspension.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Hubby's rental car this week was a Toyota Highland Hybrid. He said it was a little more comfy than our own cars but not extremely so.

I was curious and checked the height of the rear cargo door for my ability to close it by hand. Nope, can't reach, just like that Subaru I almost bought a while back. I know I know, keyfobs and electric switches, but hey, what if the car battery is dead? lol.

...if I ever need a new car, maybe I'll just get a scooter with a couple giant side baskets.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hubby: "I have a long weekend."
Me: "Cool. What for."
Hubby: "Xmas."
Me: "Oh, yeah. Right. I knew that." 

In case I'm not around that day ... or forget ...

Merry Xmas/Happy Holiday and all that jazz. 🧑‍🎄

• Like 3

My youngest brother is the family member with the bad back... he's 2m tall and of skinny build. His back was very fragile and he always needed to be  careful when driving longer trips. Before anyone says you can't drive long trips in Denmark, he was very active in his medieval reenactment hobby (doing his own clothes and armour, creating replica 15th century plate and chainmail armour (as well as the cloth and protective leather insulation that goes with it). That meant driving all over Europe from Scandinavia to below the Alps. But before that, he was an avid motorcycle driver and spent a long time before he found a motorcycle that he could sit comfortably on, for long rides (without hurting his back). I no longer remember the exact model, but iirc, some1100cc 80's Kawasaki model. Very uncommon in northern Europe.

As luck (or rather not) would have it, this particular years model came with a systemic weakness in the engine block and true enough, one day he was riding, one piston suddenly exploded out the side of the engine block. Engine was history and spare engines didn't grow on trees. After a few weeks of searching, he found a classified ad from a seller in southern Germany, offering an spare engine from a wreck. Slightly newer model engine, but my brother figured, with a bit of work he could make it fit on the frame. Since I had a car and a family member had a trailer, my brother talked me into driving to southern Germany. That was in the 90's, before google map was a thing. The only aid we had was an old version of Microsoft Maps (no kidding), from which we could print out the route we had to drive as far as Frankfurt. After that, we would have to wing it 😂

We started Friday at noon, drove all day and all night (taking turns at the steering wheel, the one not driving sleeping on the backseat). Stopped a few times for the "street food" (schnitzel 😋) at the stops along the autobahn and motorways. Saturday night at 2am, we somehow had made it to our destination in Idar Oberstein, got the engine on board the trailer and tied down. When we got closer to the Danish border, we stopped and loaded up the trailer with cheap German beer (there were still borders at the time). If we got pulled over and asked if anything to declare, my brother would show then the beer and declare that, hoping the customs agents would overlook the engine (import tax for that engine would have run up into a thousand dollars or more). Anyway, late Sunday night, two brothers arrived in back in their home town, with a replacement engine and a trailer full of beer 🍺

...and two completely exhausted brothers. My brother managed to fit the engine on the old frame and got a few more good years out of the only bike he could ever sit comfortably on with his vulnerable back

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Been out of that foot brace I've been hobbling around with and **** does my foot feel weird. And really weak. I usually walk on my toes when barefoot, but nope, not a chance. I often do some "exercises" when standing still, just using the toes on one foot to lift myself up, that's completely out the window. Not to mention the foot is amazingly swollen from fluid build ups.

The worst part was discovering that the foot is too weak to depress the clutch on my car. I curse myself a wee bit for buying a reinforced pressure plate for 500nm of engine power.

• Sad 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Watched Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

And ate christmas food.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Watched Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

And ate christmas food.

we got a rotation o' ten or so christmas movies including the following: lion in winter, kiss kiss, bang bang, godfather, french connection, nightmare before christmas, rocky, white christmas, the hudsucker proxy, stalag 17, and the recent added green knight.

nightmare before christmas and stalag 17 is guaranteed, but the others movies change.

this year, christmas food is whatever we got in the fridge. am kinda convalescing at the moment. 

our neighbors mean well, but they are not good cooks. recent had the driest banana bread evar and am not gonna try and figure out what went into some beef stew we received. the christmas cookies has been a travesty. on the upside, one o' our neighbors who doesn't cook bought and prepared one o' those enormous stouffer's lasagnas, so we got christmas food for days.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Way too much time cooking, but at least the weather is pleasant.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Merry Christmas everyone,  I hope you all have a good time with family and friends.   Eat lots of  food and enjoy the break 🎅🎄

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We did something different this year for Christmas lunch,we  went to a really good restaurant  called Simons at a Wine Estate called  Groot Constantia, red wine was amazing.  I had at least   a  whole bottle  to myself  :dancing:

https://simons.co.za/gallery/

It was an excellent Christmas buffet and one of my brothers has a daughter called  Amelia who is 1 year old and she is as cute as a button with chubby cheeks 👼

But my sister  bought me   one of the funniest presents and completely appropriate ...a NK joke gift, she knows me well :lol:

20231225_123921 (1).png

IMG-20231225-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20231201-WA0000.jpg

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Get well soon Shady. 

Google keyboard suggested "swole" not well, but maybe that too.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A few days ago my dad got checked in the hospital for a heart attack, apparently he had one 3-4 weeks ago and had just been kind of hobbling around, given how heavy of a smoker he was and the health effects of that it tracks I guess. Hopefully his lungs continue to improve and he'll get a procedure this Saturday so he can go home.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hope the procedure goes well and your dad recovers KP. 

• Thanks 1

Forgot I need to work in office 2 days a week this year. I get to collaborate with people on Teams there, brilliant.  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Forgot I need to work in office 2 days a week this year. I get to collaborate with people on Teams there, brilliant.  

Sadly that seems to be waiting for me too.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 12/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, Malcador said:

Hope the procedure goes well and your dad recovers KP. 

He seems to be doing better but 40+ years of smoking have ****ed his lungs. Procedure will hopefully happen next week and then we'll see if he has to go to physical rehab or can go home.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yah, I remind my mom to quit smoking. Granted she seems to use the cigs just for fashion, I swear I've never seen her take a drag in years...