Random video game news... the critical eyes have it

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

@Keyrock you should see boardgame geek.

There are basically roaming boardgames hunting for games to downvote or upvote.

"Rating this 10 to balance out the inevitable 1 review with intent to balance out 10s"

Preemptive reverse review bombing. It's a review bombing arms race! Given that we're pretty much through the looking glass, I mean, there's stuff really happening every day these days that would have been a skit on The Onion 15 years ago, ludicrous stuff like this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Ran across an account who had rated 6000 games 1 out of 10

On the one hand, it's really pathetic to be that spiteful. On the other hand, I kinda admire the hustle and dedication. :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

On the one hand, it's really pathetic to be that spiteful. On the other hand, I kinda admire the hustle and dedication. :p

I doubt there's much dedication- 99% chance they've just written a script/ bot to do it for them. Which I guess takes some effort but not 6000 manual one star review class effort.

22 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

not sure bioware still making game

been years since last heard anything about da4

They've released some non-news of it the past few years, basically trying to convince everyone they're still making it.

Supposedly they made a big design shift in the middle of development, from a more multiplayer oriented to single-player oriented, so taking that into account the development time doesn't seem that strange. Firing lots of veterans is more critical, I'd say.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:03 AM, MrBrown said:

https://blog.bioware.com/2023/08/23/an-update-on-the-state-of-bioware/

EDIT: This seems to include a lot of veterans. So I guess we can say RIP.

Retrenchments are never nice to see but sometimes they are absolutely necessary to ensure a company can survive and be profitable 

I just hope Bioware can create new games, thats the most important thing for me 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 8/26/2023 at 9:43 PM, uuuhhii said:

not sure bioware still making game

been years since last heard anything about da4

There has been lots of updates around Dreadwolf which is the next game they will release 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Retrenchments are never nice to see but sometimes they are absolutely necessary to ensure a company can survive and be profitable 

I just hope Bioware can create new games, thats the most important thing for me

Yeah, same. I didn't read that Bioware statement as saying a lot of veterans were among those laid off. It's only around 50 people, all of whom have been offered jobs in others parts of EA. And furthermore, just because someone is a "veteran" doesn't automatically mean they're good at what they do. I remain confident in DA:D and continue to be very excited about this game.

• Like 2

I don't really care all that much about Bioware anymore and I don't remember the last game they released that I really loved, ME2 maybe. It's been a string of disappointments of varying levels starting with DA2. Sucks for anyone that lost their jobs though.

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

23 hours ago, MrBrown said:

The announcement didn't say who was laid off, but some have posted to twitter about it. Seems to include people who have been there since BG, or since DA:O.

Well, I'd have to ask: what have these people (as individuals) done lately? Maybe they were just taking up space on developer teams. Maybe they did this even back in the day when Bioware was making BG2 or DA:O. It's a tough question to ask, but I'm never convinced that just because someone has held a job for a very long time, they were/are good at that job. What I see far too often is people somehow managing to hold on to jobs for years and years in which they haven't really done any meaningful work.

12 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Well, I'd have to ask: what have these people (as individuals) done lately? Maybe they were just taking up space on developer teams. Maybe they did this even back in the day when Bioware was making BG2 or DA:O. It's a tough question to ask, but I'm never convinced that just because someone has held a job for a very long time, they were/are good at that job. What I see far too often is people somehow managing to hold on to jobs for years and years in which they haven't really done any meaningful work.

https://www.mobygames.com/person/6524/lukas-kristjanson/

https://www.mobygames.com/person/397346/mary-kirby/

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

The disconnect between severity of crime and punishment in the USA is something bizarre too. IMHO.

For sure. This person is an idiot who wanted to play a game early and get attention. He apparently had about 5 copies to sell, which is worth a few thousand bucks? 12 years of hard time is not a reasonable sentence for being criminally dumb. He probably won't serve that anyway, but I'm not going to defend our justice system, which is punitive rather than restorative.

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Like 3

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/shadow-gambit-studio-mimimi-are-closing-down-to-prioritize-our-well-being

We cherished every game we made and feel proud of what we were able to accomplish as a studio. At the same time, dedicating the past decade and a half of our lives working on increasingly ambitious games took a heavy personal toll on us and our families. After the release of Shadow Gambit we decided it was the right time to prioritize our well-being and to pull the brakes instead of signing up for another multi-year production cycle.

It was unexpected.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

This person is an idiot who wanted to play a game early and get attention. He apparently had about 5 copies to sell, which is worth a few thousand bucks? 12 years of hard time is not a reasonable sentence for being criminally dumb.

Nah, seems like he wasn't a gamer at all, and Starfield was just a tiny portion of the stolen goods he was selling. Seemed more like the world's stupidest advertising stunt. The "theft of goods $2500-10000" item on his charge sheet is a massive underestimate. His seller page is cleaned out now, but it was still up for a good few days after the arrest and the retail value of what was there had to be approaching six digits, if not over. He was selling job lots of games, electronics, perfumes, power tools, etc, like bundles of 10 Go Pros, 20 Bluetooth speakers, 50 copies of Just Dance (as one listing, not 50 individual listings), etc.

Check out the Wayback Machine archive of just the first page (of nine) and it's probably already $10k+ worth of stolen goods there. He's a warehouse been apparently doing this systematically so even the total value of the stuff he's got listed *right now* would just be a fraction of his total business over time.

Obviously I'm not saying it's worth 12 years, but your estimation of what he stole is probably out by a couple orders of magnitude because the retail value of Starfield would only have been a couple percent of the total of what he had listed.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

5 hours ago, MrBrown said:

The disconnect between severity of crime and punishment in the USA is something bizarre too. IMHO.

not as weird as people punished for upload doujin at japan

but still pretty bad

at least no pinkerton involved this time

Create Entertainment announced a 3rd Grim Dawn expansion.

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/about/fangs-of-asterkarn/

On 8/22/2023 at 4:47 PM, Keyrock said:

If my boy Zhu Bajie makes an appearance this will be GotY whatever year it comes out. Playable Zhu Bajie with the rake = Game of the Millenium.

Somehow not surprised the pervy one's your favorite. lol

• Haha 1