Jump to content

Random video game news... the critical eyes have it


Recommended Posts

Lots to unpack with all of this. I will start with the easiest one.

Cyberpunk: Escape from Dogtown - I look forward to meeting Snake Plissken.

Avowed - It looks like Outer Worlds with swords. Gameplay is always 2nd to story with Obsidian, so I'm not worried.

Fable - Looks fun. I wish more of the Fable games were playable on the PC.

Star Wars - It would be cool if this was basically Privateer in the SW universe. But that is probably not happening. I have no idea what it will be based on that trailer.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hurlshort said:

Star Wars - It would be cool if this was basically Privateer in the SW universe. But that is probably not happening. I have no idea what it will be based on that trailer.

I'm basing this solely on the fact that virtually all Ubisoft games are essentially the same. With that in mind, I'm expecting Far Cry: Star Wars, but who knows?

  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I mean, it's an Ubi game. There will be a giant map with a metric ****ton of icons on it. 80% of said icons will be copy/paste bull**** collectibles and "activities". There will be a bunch of outpost for you to liberate.

Speaking of liberate, Phantom Liberty (look, it's the best segue I could come up with):

 

Do we know where exactly Dogtown is on the map? Kinda curious if it's in the same city or a completely new location. Really like the palm atmosphere and stuff in the vanilla game, would suck if it gets replaced with some ruined city / grim dark alley kinda location.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Do we know where exactly Dogtown is on the map? Kinda curious if it's in the same city or a completely new location. Really like the palm atmosphere and stuff in the vanilla game, would suck if it gets replaced with some ruined city / grim dark alley kinda location.

I'm thinking it will be an expansion to the map. My guess is that it will be southwest of the Biotechnica Flats near Pacifica. That's me just taking a stab in the dark, though.

The Witness: Ancient Mythology Edition? 🤔

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/cyberpunks-expansion-totally-overhauls-the-original-game/

For whatever reason, CD Projekt Red appears to have undersold the sheer amount of content being changed or added with Cyberpunk’s expansion – we’ve not even mentioned the new Airdrop activities, which see random loot caches dropped on the map and a race to secure them.

Gee...can't imagine why they'd try to underpromise.  Also that feature sounds tedious to me.

  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-rpg-obsidian-preview-magic-interview/

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/06/11/obsidians-avowed-is-coming-in-2024/

  • You have an established role as the imperial envoy, but your "personality, appearance, and philosophy and vibe you bring to that role is up to you as a player to decide"
  • You can play as a human or an elf, but not other races
  • It's purely singleplayer—no co-op
  • The world is lightly systemic: think water and lightning interactions, but not the ol' bucket-on-the-head trick
  • You'll have two companions with you at a time, with their own combat specialties and, of course, personalities
  • There are several ability trees to progress through, and you won't be locked to a particular class or playstyle
  • You will level up, but the focus is on unlocking abilities rather than putting points into stats to grow stronger

Avowed went from a 'very interested' to 'nah'.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-rpg-obsidian-preview-magic-interview/

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/06/11/obsidians-avowed-is-coming-in-2024/

  • You have an established role as the imperial envoy, but your "personality, appearance, and philosophy and vibe you bring to that role is up to you as a player to decide"
  • You can play as a human or an elf, but not other races
  • It's purely singleplayer—no co-op
  • The world is lightly systemic: think water and lightning interactions, but not the ol' bucket-on-the-head trick
  • You'll have two companions with you at a time, with their own combat specialties and, of course, personalities
  • There are several ability trees to progress through, and you won't be locked to a particular class or playstyle
  • You will level up, but the focus is on unlocking abilities rather than putting points into stats to grow stronger

Avowed went from a 'very interested' to 'nah'.

Interest level falling.

And for the inverse of that, interest level high:

Reminds me of Sunless Sea.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone seems pretty down on avowed.  I'm still looking forward to it.  I have similar issues with design choice as everyone else.  Graphics don't matter to me at all really.  They looked fine imo. 

 

I'm hoping you are a cipher.  If there aren't classes, it's the one class that can kind of do everything so I think it makes sense.

 

I think it will be enjoyable.  Whether or not it's great or not, I will temper expectations

 

Side note.  Clockwork revolution looks interesting.

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will probably be an interesting game, simply because we can trust in Obsidian being able to deliver as much. If it will survive and be remembered later is another question, though. Personally I still think it will not even be close to Skyrim simply because the easy moddability of Bethsoft titles is what keeps them around.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a RTS player, on account of the fact that I'm absolute dog$#!+ at micromanaging, but it's a criminally underserved genre, so hopefully this game is really good, because heaven knows that Activision Blizzard is never going to make Warcraft 4.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder how people in the city react when they catch me inside their homes, going through their drawers and cupboards? 🤔

  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I wonder how people in the city react when they catch me inside their homes, going through their drawers and cupboards? 🤔

I don't know about that, but if it is like Pillars of Eternity, then nobody will react if you kill someone inside their houses. So take whatever you want.

sign.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As of right now, from what has been shown recently, I'm I need to change my drawers level hyped for Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, very hyped for Phantom Liberty, rather hyped for Dread Pilots, Persona 3 Remake (Persona 2 is the one that would most benefit from a remake but I'll take what I can get), and Persona 5 Tactics (even if I don't like the chibi art style), cautiously hyped for Starfield, lukewarm on Avowed and UbiStarWars (until I learn more about it), and everything else is whatever.

Speaking of Phantom Liberty:

 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I don't know about that, but if it is like Pillars of Eternity, then nobody will react if you kill someone inside their houses. So take whatever you want.

It was just me poking a bit of fun at the original Baldurs Gate. Exploring peoples homes was not always straight forward (when the occupants caught you stealing and got all aggro on you). A novel experience for me at the time 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moving on from old news in old thread...

 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gorth said:

It was just me poking a bit of fun at the original Baldurs Gate. Exploring peoples homes was not always straight forward (when the occupants caught you stealing and got all aggro on you). A novel experience for me at the time 😁

I remember playing Gothic and the first time I walked into somebody's house and they drew their weapon and told me to get the **** out was an eye opening experience because I had been so used to just looting people's homes with zero reactivity up to that point.:lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Do we know where exactly Dogtown is on the map? Kinda curious if it's in the same city or a completely new location. Really like the palm atmosphere and stuff in the vanilla game, would suck if it gets replaced with some ruined city / grim dark alley kinda location.

It's supposedly in the east part of Pacifica, looking at the video you have this huge circular building around 1 minute, you can see that on the Pacifica map.

CP2077_Pacifica_Fast_Travel_Points_Map.j

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-rpg-obsidian-preview-magic-interview/

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/06/11/obsidians-avowed-is-coming-in-2024/

  • You have an established role as the imperial envoy, but your "personality, appearance, and philosophy and vibe you bring to that role is up to you as a player to decide"
  • You can play as a human or an elf, but not other races
  • It's purely singleplayer—no co-op
  • The world is lightly systemic: think water and lightning interactions, but not the ol' bucket-on-the-head trick
  • You'll have two companions with you at a time, with their own combat specialties and, of course, personalities
  • There are several ability trees to progress through, and you won't be locked to a particular class or playstyle
  • You will level up, but the focus is on unlocking abilities rather than putting points into stats to grow stronger

Avowed went from a 'very interested' to 'nah'.

Sounds reasonably good, though I would have preferred more races and specific classes. Curious if it is possible to do a complete diplomatic pacifist/stealth/murder playthroughs.
Also, I am very happy to see a purely single-player game. An adequate integration of co-op tends to mess up SP and drains resources. Speaking of, I doubt that Obsidian would go for text-only dialogues in a first-person game, so less interactive dialogues, I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...