Random video game news... the critical eyes have it

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

Will he become an admin at loverslab after he leaves Bethesda πŸ˜›

Absolutely terrible plots, **** writing and 16 times the detail. He'd fit in to a T.

• Haha 5
  • Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

59 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I lost almost all interest in Starfield after seeing its price on Steam.

It's $70 USD here. I agree that's more than what I'd like to pay, but that's now the standard price for "premium AAA" games.

That said, wait for discount is always a good plan... Unless you are looking to buy a 1st party Nintendo game, those almost never go on sale. I don't know about 67% off, you may be waiting quite a while for that, but you'll probably see 25% off, perhaps 33% off within a year of release.

If you happen to have Game Pass then it's "free".

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈRFK Jr 2024πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

--FF16 full demo gameplay played by MKIceAndFire, watched: Combat looks...ok, for what it is I mean, a little too busy, a little too much constant camera pov rotation (worse than ff15 even, perhaps) (maybe you can alter a setting). The doggo is adorable.Β  Anyway, still hard to say. Part of me says yes, part of me says no. I'm more interested in it than I was in FF7-RM tho.

--Star Wars Outlaws. It looks potentially interesting, but I still don't want an Ubisoft account. Still...if anything might make me do that, it might be this one. They didn't show much combat however.

--Avowed...hm. Well I usually love companions, don't mind that. But it's sounding like something I'd be less interested in or committed to purchasing than I was hoping for. But once again, can't really tell from the trailer or brief feature mentions. Yet more info or gameplay vids needed. At least we know it hasn't been cancelled, haha!

β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I lost almost all interest in Starfield after seeing its price on Steam. Almost twice the price of The Outer Worlds and 50% more than BG3. I guess it will go to my wishlist and wait for a nearly impossible 67% or more discount.

While regional pricing is an issue, especially with the last year Steam guidelines adjustments, waiting for a more bug-free and less expensive versions of the AAA games* seems to be the most reasonable course nowadays (the last 15 or so years). Starfield is also a Bethesda game, which are well-known for their issues on release.
*Not applicable to independent developers, they do need support and less likely to attach invasive DRM or exploitative monetisation to their games.

---
On another note, I am curious if the Prince of Persia reboot requires the Ubisoft DRM. As is, the game does look interesting, but not outstanding. I guess, I would prefer it to be a separate IP. Also, I think, it would look better with cell-shading, considering the visual style.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/prince-of-persia-the-lost-crown-is-so-much-better-than-it-looks-in-the-reveal-trailer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/todd-howard-elder-scrolls-6

I hate to be theΒ  bearer of bad news but Todd Howard is hinting that ES6 could be his last game at BethesdaΒ ;(

What a legend heΒ  is and what a contribution he has made towards Bethesda's successΒ 

Will the world ever see such deep and profound dialogue again?

Β 

On a serious note, it's like something created by ChatGTP years before that was invented...

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Will the world ever see such deep and profound dialogue again?

Β 

On a serious note, it's like something created by ChatGTP years before that was invented...

:lol::lol:Β that has got to be one ofΒ  the funniest and most cringe exchangesΒ  in any gameΒ 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

I'm happy to pay $70 for Starfield as I know I will thoroughly enjoy that game and be playing it possibly through the end of my life. Totally worth it. OTOH, it is BG3 that I'll be waiting for 40+% off sale price to buy it. And Avowed (and TOW2) I won't buy at any price unless it comes with a third-person option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

I'm happy to pay $70 for Starfield as I know I will thoroughly enjoy that game and be playing it possibly through the end of my life. Totally worth it. OTOH, it is BG3 that I'll be waiting for 40+% off sale price to buy it. And Avowed (and TOW2) I won't buy at any price unless it comes with a third-person option.

You know what I always do when I ask " is this game too expensive ", I wonder how many hours I will spend playing it and then I think what the companies I work for charge customers  per hour for consultancy work and its always worth it. I will spend at least 200 hours on Starfield so $70 is a small price for mudcrabs and cliff racers  in space !!!  🐲

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

37 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I now compare it to the price of pizza and the grief my stomach will give me , now that I am over 40 and a late pizza plays hell on my metabolism.

What do you payΒ  for an average pizza in Greece, maybe a hawaiian? I have had lamb on pizza and its deliciousΒ πŸ•Β 

John MiltonΒ 

Β 

Β 

52 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

You know what I always do when I ask " is this game too expensive ", I wonder how many hours I will spend playing it and then I think what the companies I work for charge customers  per hour for consultancy work and its always worth it. I will spend at least 200 hours on Starfield so $70 is a small price for mudcrabs and cliff racers  in space !!!  🐲

Hours of gameplay is an imperfect measure of value. I will gladly take 5 hours of awesome over 50 hours of meh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

17 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What do you payΒ  for an average pizza in Greece, maybe a hawaiian? I have had lamb on pizza and its deliciousΒ πŸ•Β 

It is difficult to get Hawaiian over here.

Otherwise 9-15 euros for a normal sized 8 slice pepperoni depending on where you get it (delivery, which delivery, restaurant, which restaurant)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Like stomach ache after too much pizza, hours of gameplay are ephemeral.

Unlike the living one, who transcends hours of gameplay and will live again On WINGS OF FIRE...

No, that's not right...

Will be reborn.

That's it!

The Living One will be reborn ON WINGS OF FIRE.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

24 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Hours of gameplay is an imperfect measure of value. I will gladly take 5 hours of awesome over 50 hours of meh.

What if it is 5 hours of awesome and 45 hours of meh, though?

30 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

How is the 5 hours spread? Is it in one chunk? Is it many few awesome times spread between 45h of meh?

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Declaring "Diablo 4 has just ended up being an also-ran of its predecessor a decade too late. " this quickly is interesting.Β  Seems like a pretty thin article too, heh, but that is PCG these days.Β  Really surprised they gave D4 85, all their other articles are on how much the game isn't much to talk about, although one harped on the game having too much grimdark.Β 

It's like D3 that, regardless of how the game is, it's making good cash - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/diablo-4-passes-666-million-in-sales-sets-new-blizzard-record/1100-6515145/

Includes MTX though.

Β 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

If the 5 hours of awesome is all at the beginning that's fine since I can just play those 5 hours and be done with it. If the 5 hours of awesome is at the end and I have to get through 45 hours of meh to get to it, I'll pass. If the 5 hours of awesome is sprinkled in throughout the 50 total hours, for example 10 minutes of awesome, then an hour of meh, 15 minutes of awesome, then another hour of meh, and so on; those nuggets of awesome would probably be enough to get me to keep playing the meh parts. I'd still rather have just 5 hours of pure awesome rather than 50 hours that has a little awesome and a whole lot of meh.

• Like 2