Random video game news... the critical eyes have it

5 minutes ago, Hawke64 said:

Sounds reasonably good, though I would have preferred more races and specific classes. Curious if it is possible to do a complete diplomatic pacifist/stealth/murder playthroughs.
Also, I am very happy to see a purely single-player game. An adequate integration of co-op tends to mess up SP and drains resources. Speaking of, I doubt that Obsidian would go for text-only dialogues in a first-person game, so less interactive dialogues, I suppose.

The problem as I see it is that Obsidian's best stories are those told by the player. There's a lot of impinging on role-playing opportunities in that you have to play human or elf, there are no classes, your employment status is set, apparently you took an oath, and you have to have two party members with you at all times.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

The problem as I see it is that Obsidian's best stories are those told by the player. There's a lot of impinging on role-playing opportunities in that you have to play human or elf, there are no classes, your employment status is set, apparently you took an oath, and you have to have two party members with you at all times.

Agreed. I hope, there will be different ways to approach the oath and the employment, even if their presence is pre-determined.

Fallout had no classes. It worked for me :shrugz:

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, nothing about those Avowed info sounds bad to me.

Races, I don't mind, I can understand some would. Classes, don't need them in a more single character game, PoE had too many in any case. The whole thing about oath and employment is just setup, every game forces you a main plot anyway.

• Like 1

Curious why they let you switch between two races in the first place. Would probably have just simplified it to a single one and be done, unless I guess they have some DLC plans or something for later.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wonder how people in the city react when they catch me inside their homes, going through their drawers and cupboards? 🤔

In Larian games stealing is a thing, and you can get caught - than bribe the guard, fight, or go to jail (and escape). Those systems tend to not be... hmm... elegant but are there.

• Thanks 2

I'm a bit concerned about the followers as their existence tends to run counter to my preferred sneaky-sneaky playstyle. Rest of it seems fine to me, with the caveat that I never finished either PoE game.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

19 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Oh, PC Gamer show was such a slog I somehow missed that Shadow Gambit got a release date and demo coming next week!

Yeah, the PC Gaming show was hard to get through. Not only was it super long, but we had to suffer through a multitude of terrible skits. The XBOX presentation was much better. The lady showed up, did the public speaker voice with the deliberate cadence and inflections for a minute, then she got out of the way and we got a bunch of trailers one after the other. That's how you do it. Day9's awful attempts at comedy were not enhancing my viewing experience, quite the opposite, in fact.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think having companions is mandatory? Reckon it'll be more that you *can* have up to two companions with you at once, much like it was with The Outer Worlds.

• Thanks 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

4 minutes ago, algroth said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think having companions is mandatory? Reckon it'll be more that you *can* have up to two companions with you at once, much like it was with The Outer Worlds.

"You have two companions with you at all times"

Companions are mandatory.

https://www.ign.com/articles/todd-howard-elder-scrolls-6

I hate to be the  bearer of bad news but Todd Howard is hinting that ES6 could be his last game at Bethesda ;(

What a legend he  is and what a contribution he has made towards Bethesda's success 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Will he become an admin at loverslab after he leaves Bethesda 😛

We can only hope, think of the mod suggestions he could provide :wub:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, Gorth said:

It was just me poking a bit of fun at the original Baldurs Gate. Exploring peoples homes was not always straight forward (when the occupants caught you stealing and got all aggro on you). A novel experience for me at the time 😁

8 hours ago, Wormerine said:

In Larian games stealing is a thing, and you can get caught - than bribe the guard, fight, or go to jail (and escape). Those systems tend to not be... hmm... elegant but are there.

If it is like the D:OS 2 system, then you can pickpocket npcs while other party members distract them in a conversation, but they will want to check what you are carrying after they stop talking. The solution was to drop a bag or the stolen items before being asked to show your belongings. If they improve this system, then I'd expect people to get suspicious after too many npcs are robbed and they should at least search the surrounding area to see if you dropped the stolen goods somewhere.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

The most notable thing from the Ubi presentation was that professional wrestler Athena, some may know her better as Ember Moon, from her WWE days, was in the audience. I kept wondering if Ubi was doing a wrestling game, but I guess she just happened to be there.

Adobe_Express_20220622_2248210-1024x576-

Star Wars: Outlaws has potential. I didn't see a single ***hole with a laser sword, so that's a plus. Fem Solo and Minibacca make a good first impression. Keep those stupid space wizards out of this and you might have a winner on your hands, Ubi.

I am interested in The Crew: Motorfest.

I had quite a bit of fun with The Crew 2. One thing that's disappointing is that it looks like it's only ground vehicles. What really set The Crew 2 apart from other games like it was the ability to switch between cars, boats, and planes on the fly. Driving a car, hitting a jump, switching to a plane in mid-air, flying over a river, switching into a boat and dropping into the water, that was badass. If it's just cars it's going to have a hard time topping Forza Horizons.

Kind of cool to see Prince of Persia go back to its 2D roots. Far Cry: Giant Blue Elf Edition could be good, I guess. I don't care about the AssCreed games.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/todd-howard-elder-scrolls-6

I hate to be the  bearer of bad news but Todd Howard is hinting that ES6 could be his last game at Bethesda ;(

What a legend he  is and what a contribution he has made towards Bethesda's success 

Skyrim was released 12 years ago. Todd Howard is 52 years old. If TES6 comes out next year (unlikely) and has a runtime of at least 12 years, that means Todd will be 65 years old. So yeah, it could be his last game at Bethesda since he will retire once its run has ended. : >

Edited by Lexx
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."