20th Anniversary Forum Event: Top 3 Dev Questions

Fionavar

image.thumb.jpeg.bf0a5e80a0c711898a9229020b89605d.jpeg

Okay trolls, denizens and gecklings, it's Obsidian's 20th anniversary and we're rolling out two new events to mark this amazing milestone! In this one, we invite you to submit the burning questions you have for Obsidian and its Devs! The Squad will then discern the top three after the event closes July 3rd. Gifts from Admin will then be rewarded to the winners of the 20th Anniversary Forum Event: Top 3 Dev Questions.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

wait a second, are we supposed to post here?

yep, that's it, that's the question to the devs

ok but really, i feel like these two threads need to be pinned/shortcutted some way for all of the individual game forums, make them a global announcement of some kind, nobody hardly even visits this section except for us old grumpy fogies tryna make the "new posts" indicator go away

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

ok but really, i feel like these two threads need to be pinned/shortcutted some way for all of the individual game forums, make them a global announcement of some kind, nobody hardly even visits this section except for us old grumpy fogies tryna make the "new posts" indicator go away

Passed along the suggestion...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

nobody hardly even visits this section except for us old grumpy fogies tryna make the "new posts" indicator go away

I feel personally attacked.

• Haha 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Questions and memes are great and all, but have you heard Hocus Pocus by Focus?

A perfect song for any situation.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hello Obsidian!

What's with the recent push to make first-person-only games?

When TOW1 was released, Obsidian claimed they couldn't include a third-person option because of their budget limitations. Well, things are different now, aren't they?

Obsidian, who would win in a fight between The Mystery Man (Lost Highway) and young Cesar (New Vegas)?

Who at Obsidian can eat the most hotdogs in 15 minutes?

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Salutation Obsidian.

Are we ever likely to see a similar complexity of choice and consequences as done in Alpha Protocol in any future games? Or was the combined reactivity of conversations, character attitudes, the timing of when and where you met characters and mission choices too stressful, frustrating, and convoluted for testing and story writing to revisit that approach?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Question: When will you folks finally give us a nice Fallout 2 clone(2.5D isometric/turn-based, guns, dialogue trees, mysterious storyline)?

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

"the wound is the place where the light enters you."

am forgetting the origin or attribution at the moment. *shrug* our personal experience suggests we learned far more from our failures than our victories. our query is for any and all obsidian developers who would care to answer and am hopeful responses need not be limited by the twentieth anniversary event; am genuine curious and would welcome any and all developer answers. regardless, our question is as follows:

what memorable error related to a game development made obsidian (or individual obsidian developers) better at crafting games?

please offer details 'bout the mistake which 'brought about enlightenment as well as the resulting epiphany.

thanks in advance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

17 hours ago, Ordo! said:

I don't know if we can ask questions about a specific Obsidian's game or if we need to be more general ? 

You can ask whatever you want ... what excites you to imagine knowing more about?

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

While Obsidian is primarily known as "an RPG studio", you have quite versitile portfolio - you made sequels to games from studios with varied sensibilities, you worked with different IPs (from D&D to Stick of Truth), you did variety of RPGs (top down, First Person, action, jRPG) and recently explored different genres all together like survival with Grounded, or narrative adventure with Pentiment.

With such diverse output - what do you think makes "an Obsidian game" an Obsidian game? When you explore new possibilities, are there some design concepts or ideals you try to bring to each of your projects, or do you think of each game as its own work, with its own objective, and potentially own audience?

Hi!

I would love to know more about the future of some of my favourite games (Deadfire and Grounded) but there's really one universe that has been particularly dear to me since 1997 so here it is:

what's the likelihood of Obsidian making another Fallout game (either 1st person or crpg?) in the near future (that is in less than 10 years/before Fallout 5 is released)?

Looking forward to your next projects and Happy anniversary!

wickedtormentavvie.jpg.0fbb7c1c5ac51e7dc4f9d8be969df04e.jpg

...when??...git on it!!...👍

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

8 hours ago, daven said:

Any chance of a reconciliation with MCA?

okay, that one made us chuckle.

hell-freezes-over.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

You guys obviously do a lot of research on your games, given how detailed and plausible your worlds are so that even little things stick in memory, like rings considered to be tacky to use as jewelry in Tyranny or yacht's name in Alpha Protocol being a reference to cult soviet cartoon, and it's clearly more than "lets google this sh†t", so here's my question - how do you do your research?

• Like 1

Now that we're two weeks into this, are you perhaps starting to think that your player base is just too old and ornery for making memes?

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Now that we're two weeks into this, are you perhaps starting to think that your player base is just too old and ornery for making memes?

I don't think it's even (only) that. What memes can you even make with their offered "themes". They should have left it open and the mods could have done the pruning if needed.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP