Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

On 4/24/2023 at 11:05 PM, Chilloutman said:

I am weak, I pre-ordered Age of Wonders 4 - i am long time fan of studio making those

it does look better than planetfall

but each 4x game take so many hour didn't really want to try anymore

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Previous DLC was just a month or so ago. Paradox has two different teams working on two different DLCs for Stellaris, apparently.

Still can't understand how that's profitable. *Buys all the DLC*

price and number of dlc is not the problem

but player endless tolerance of paradox incompetence are

too many still pretend paradox are a tiny studio barely kept alive by small group of fanatic player

but ck2 eu4 and stellaris are too successful to keep giving paradox excuses of low budget jank

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kanisatha said:

So then, even when downplaying combat, would you guys say there's enough in the rest of the game to make it interesting and worth playing?

Yes, though I played most of the game in co-op (built a magnificent tower solo*). I really liked the climbing mechanic - almost every surface outside dungeons could be climbed freely. Also the exploration and base-building were very nice.

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

And a much more magnificent tower in co-op:
?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think Zuckerberg is the Lovecraftian version of H.P. Lovecraft. When you see pictures of old H.P. boy, you can at least see the light in his eyes: no such luck for Zuckerberg.

tumblr_pedsirF1Aa1v5zocn_540.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

too many still pretend paradox are a tiny studio barely kept alive by small group of fanatic player

I was told just last week that paradox is a small indy company with no meaningful market share.

Mind you, the same person says there are no plot holes in Dragon Age.

• Confused 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

get beat down by the first boss pretty hard

Mattias Lund? He is pretty tricky. Make sure you spread everyone out. That fight is all about turn management and having a couple tanks that can absorb blows. 

edit: It's actually worse if you have the scaling difficulty on. He gets much harder at the higher levels.

Edited by Hurlshort

33 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Mattias Lund? He is pretty tricky. Make sure you spread everyone out. That fight is all about turn management and having a couple tanks that can absorb blows. 

edit: It's actually worse if you have the scaling difficulty on. He gets much harder at the higher levels.

everyone die at 1 hit on easy include brute

going to recruit a shield guy and a few extra level before try again

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

everyone die at 1 hit on easy include brute

going to recruit a shield guy and a few extra level before try again

You have to use the deflection ability to get the 70%, or I think you can use protection. But yeah, he's tough until you get a few levels under your belt.

17 hours ago, melkathi said:

Oooh, Wartales incidentally just released on GOG.

Tempted, but will wait until they enable multiplayer for it. Until then, would be interested in hearing if anyone has tried it in co-op on Steam.

(Tangentially, am a little sad that Hades never turned up on GOG, and I've just bought it on Microsoft Store over the alternatives because of the Play Anywhere functionality)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

is there a car humping another car in that pic or is it just me? xD

• Haha 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

[The mod] uses OpenAI's large language model ChatGPT to generate responses, xVASynth for text-to-speech so the NPCs can be fully voiced, and Whisper for speech-to-text, so players can speak into their mic and the NPCs can understand them. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/modder-wires-chatgpt-into-skyrim-vr-so-npcs-can-roleplay-and-remember-past-conversations/

While it has limitations, an AI model trained on controlled and contained data might provide a higher variety of appropriate responses and make the social interactions with NPC feel more immersive.
On the other hand, there is Square Enix.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2280000/SQUARE_ENIX_AI_Tech_Preview_THE_PORTOPIA_SERIAL_MURDER_CASE/

• Like 3

Ask ChatGPT about Mudcrabs (ugly creatures) 😎

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I dunno, I don't think it carried from your session

While mudcrabs may not be conventionally attractive creatures, they play an important role in their ecosystem. In the real world, they serve as prey for larger animals, and help to keep waterways clean by consuming decaying organic matter. In the Elder Scrolls games, mudcrabs provide a challenge for players and can be a valuable source of resources. It's important to remember that all creatures have a purpose in the world, even if they may not be pleasing to the eye.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I asked for Morrowind NPC dialouge. You get what you ask for, it's... pretty terrible

1. "Greetings, traveler. Have you come seeking knowledge? Or perhaps you're looking to trade? Either way, I'm happy to oblige. Just be warned, the roads of Vvardenfell can be dangerous for the unwary. Many dangers lurk in the ash wastes, and there are creatures that even the most skilled warrior would be wise to avoid."

2. "Ah, it's good to see a friendly face. I've been on the road for weeks, and I'm getting tired of these blasted blight storms. It's a harsh land, this Vvardenfell, but there's something about it that keeps drawing me back. Perhaps it's the challenge, or maybe it's the thrill of exploration. Whatever it is, I can't seem to stay away."

3. "I see you're carrying some interesting artifacts there. Care to trade? I have some rare books and scrolls that might interest you. Or if you're looking for something more practical, I have a selection of enchanted weapons and armor. Of course, such things don't come cheap. But then again, neither does survival in this land. It's a dangerous world out there, my friend. Best be prepared."

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.