The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Reruns

InsaneCommander

Finished Primal s2. This season really felt like a mix of the original and new Samurai Jack with a seasoning of Conan the Barbarian. Overall I would say it's good, but it felt like they were in a hurry to tell the story they had. Which leaves me wondering if there will be a season 3 or if they will leave it at that.

13 hours ago, KP From Another World said:

What I have seen is the newest season of What We Do In The Shadows and it is ****ing good.

I was not feeling season 1. May eventually give it another go.

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Tried to continue watching s3 of Cobra Kai. Suffered through 2 more episodes, cringed hard when they were showing those flashbacks of good-guy with this asian girl. Really don't think I will keep watching this show.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think Cobra Kai had potential as something about needing to leave your cringe past behind, but it dumped that in favor of 30 year old high school students forming karate gangs and geriatric villains bullying children for dumb reasons.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

I was not feeling season 1. May eventually give it another go.

It hasn't changed much in terms of tone from season 1.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

season 1 was fun, because it focused more on original characters, once that weird high school drama became main point of the series I just could not watch it anymore

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I don't think Cobra Kai ever had the legs to go past 2 seasons. What made season 1 work so well, and to a much lesser extent season 2, was the Johnny Lawrence redemption story, but 2 seasons was about as far as you could stretch that out without the dough ripping apart. Once that was exhausted the story had reached its natural conclusion. In an effort to squeeze as much milk from the proverbial cow as possible they went to the same well that every reboot these days seems to resort to, digging up every character they can from the original, desperately banking on nostalgia. Also, the whole thing devolved into a West Side Story gang warfare plot.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It should have stayed a 1 season special thing. For me it became bad the moment that good-guy what's-his-name (Daniel?) became the main focus again. It's like... in s1 he didn't really cared, but because it was a bit of a hit and got so popular, they made him big again in s2. I never cared about him, I wanted to see the story around Johnny. He's the interesting bit in the story, not all the other stuff.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Cobra Kai was such wasted potential. They either changed creative lead or they simply never knew what they had.

I think they maybe had a plan for two seasons but kept going until they ran off the rails (and not in a good way) when the series turned out to be popular. Johnny and Danny learning to leave behind their teenage feud and grow in a way to help kids is interesting, some men in their 60s and 70s being pg-13 villains to high school kids isn't.

But to be fair, shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are rare in being able to deliver consistently and knowing when it's time to end. Cobra Kai had this potential, sad that it didn't pan out.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I'd never in a million years have guessed Giancarlo Esposito was in Miama Vice.

I think Miami Vice is one of those shows that for me at least, had a lot of ppl that later became a lot more famous or were at least early-about-to-be-famous.
Other shows like that that come to mind might be Friends. I'm sure there are some others. Saw a video on that a while back but can't remember. It's always weird to go back and see such people in such early roles. 😄

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally got around to watching the Val Kilmer bio movie.

Or rather, skimming through it. I love Val the actor and there are some interesting moments, but overall it's sorta like when your parents/friends make you watch too many home movies for too long. Too self-indulgent for me. Lots of people when they get older make a "my life" thing for themselves or their grandkids, which is great, but when you're famous, you can make a film and try to make the whole world watch it.

That said, I liked his son doing the narration, and whenever they showed their relationship, and those other moments I liked made me wish I could give Val a comforting hug now and then. At least he seems to be in a decent place now (after his cancer etc). Oh and it kinda made we want to see him in that Doors movie again. I didn't love that movie but Val was great in it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

House of the Dragon 5: Westeros being Westeros.🙂

Spoiler

Apparently nothing happened to Ser Cole after he:

- ruined the wedding

- ruined the tournament

- dishonored his position as Kingsguard

- punched Leanor

- killed a man who had some importance (Joffrey entered with house Velaryon and walked all the way to greet the king)

I'm wondering who will support Rhaenyra when the war breaks out. Her side already disrespected the Lannisters, Royces (will the Arryns support them?), all the families of the men she rejected as Kingsguards, all the families whose men didn't get a chance to propose to her when she stopped her travels... And based on the preview for the next episode, her reputation will only get worse.

On the other hand, house Velaryon could get some $upport easily.

Edit: I forgot one item on the list.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

On 9/19/2022 at 5:26 PM, InsaneCommander said:

House of the Dragon 5: Westeros being Westeros.🙂

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently nothing happened to Ser Cole after he:

- ruined the wedding

- ruined the tournament

- dishonored his position as Kingsguard

- punched Leanor

- killed a man who had some importance (Joffrey entered with house Velaryon and walked all the way to greet the king)

I'm wondering who will support Rhaenyra when the war breaks out. Her side already disrespected the Lannisters, Royces (will the Arryns support them?), all the families of the men she rejected as Kingsguards, all the families whose men didn't get a chance to propose to her when she stopped her travels... And based on the preview for the next episode, her reputation will only get worse.

On the other hand, house Velaryon could get some $upport easily.

Edit: I forgot one item on the list.

Well, that certainly was a major depature from the source material, and I think that might turn out to be a not a particularily good one. Sheesh.

• Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Watched "Samaritan" since it was 'free' via Prime. Sylvester Stallone. Plot features a youthful male kid as a co-star, so even with some biggish action at the end, it's got that kid's-life/perspective type of focus. I suppose when I was 10 I might've moderately enjoyed it for what it is. Very formulaic, although with my brain rather sleepy when I saw it, there's a slight twist at the end that I didn't predict. Which isn't to say it might not be obvious, maybe I was just brain dead today. 😛

Anyhoo...not the worst for what it is, but most probably wouldn't care to bother.

8 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Watched "Samaritan" since it was 'free' via Prime. Sylvester Stallone. Plot features a youthful male kid as a co-star, so even with some biggish action at the end, it's got that kid's-life/perspective type of focus. I suppose when I was 10 I might've moderately enjoyed it for what it is. Very formulaic, although with my brain rather sleepy when I saw it, there's a slight twist at the end that I didn't predict. Which isn't to say it might not be obvious, maybe I was just brain dead today. 😛

Anyhoo...not the worst for what it is, but most probably wouldn't care to bother.

last part of the movie was really disappointing