The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Reruns

InsaneCommander

The problem now is... how to make it believable. Sure they can be shown as evil guys, but can you actually believe them taking over the world? This is like a Pinky and the Brain situation.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Amazon Already Has The Next Great Fantasy Series, And It Isn't The Rings Of Power (looper.com)

Per The Wrap, "The Wheel of Time" rang up an estimated 1.163 billion streaming minutes during its first week of release, topped only by Netflix's "Red Notice." By comparison, "The Rings of Power" premiere accumulated 1.25 billion minutes of streaming (via Deadline), making it the biggest debut ever for Amazon. Still, "The Wheel of Time" numbers weren't far behind, and the show arrived with much less hype than "The Rings of Power."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wasn't Wheel of Time only 3 episodes in the first week? So I guess lots of people checked it out ... but how many kept watching it? I didn't.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Midnight Club by Mike Flanagan, creator of beloved series Midnight Mass and The Haunting of Hill House. I got about fifteen minutes in before it became pretty clear that he made it for a completely different audience and I was not part of that audience. Right, that's crossed off.

Wednesday, episode 1. It has that kind of tone where it's kind of a "fake" serious because it's actually very silly. It's thank-god-fully not nearly as teen drama-centric as The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was, which is what killed that show for me. Wednesday is the main character and her point of view is basically a no nonsense "I want to run away and/or murder everyone" sort, and that's a pretty simple and relatable approach, especially after having been just sent to boarding school. Though she definitely has at least a little bit of a soft spot somewhere in there too, maybe one that will expand as the show goes on, I'm not sure. That or she'll just kill everyone like she wants to do right now, that's okay with me too. That's obviously not going to happen, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wednesday, episode 2. Maybe it's the lack of sleep doing me in and making me somehow quite enjoy a stupid Tim Burton show, but this show actually seems like it's...pretty good, and so far I really like the cast. Especially the star of the show, which is of course Thing (who I have been told is not CGI but is actually a guy running around in a green screen suit with a glove doing everything for real, which I guess makes sense, because I usually have a strong dislike for little CGI creatures interacting with the world weightlessly...not at all the case for Thing who's constantly moving and knocking stuff over). It's kind of like...an off-brand American goth Harry Potter, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Midnight Club by Mike Flanagan, creator of beloved series Midnight Mass and The Haunting of Hill House. I got about fifteen minutes in before it became pretty clear that he made it for a completely different audience and I was not part of that audience. Right, that's crossed off.

Wednesday, episode 1. It has that kind of tone where it's kind of a "fake" serious because it's actually very silly. It's thank-god-fully not nearly as teen drama-centric as The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was, which is what killed that show for me. Wednesday is the main character and her point of view is basically a no nonsense "I want to run away and/or murder everyone" sort, and that's a pretty simple and relatable approach, especially after having been just sent to boarding school. Though she definitely has at least a little bit of a soft spot somewhere in there too, maybe one that will expand as the show goes on, I'm not sure. That or she'll just kill everyone like she wants to do right now, that's okay with me too. That's obviously not going to happen, though.

The Midnight Club is probably the biggest disappointment for me in 2022. While I've seen worse, Midnight Mass raised my expectations.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Willow wasn't.. outrageously disappointing.  At least, the first two episodes are just focused on world building and setting things up and for what they are do that job competently.

The style, clothes, and look all work well. You have a bunch of decent actors doing a professional job, but I have to admit nothing has managed to grab me in a rip-roaring swashbucklery fantasy adventure feel yet.

It's interesting to see how much they've veered away from the ideas of the sequel trilogy Chris Claremont wrote with George Lucas' input back in the early 90's for this show. But I do feel they've missed an element by not working in the "Willow Ufgood? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time..." line.

I'll probably watch at least another couple of episodes to see where they go with it and see how the mood catches.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Andor. Not bad at all, can't compare to other pre/se/spinoff/whatever/-quels on account of not watching any other Star Wars TV, but it was just like I wished Rogue One was, i.e. centered on Andor or, well, anyone but that oatmeal dullard with no charisma, Jyn Erso. Also reminded me quite a bit SWTOR's Imperial Agent story aka the bestest Star Wars story. :yes:

P.S.: There was Chernobyl mini-reunion! Awww. 🥰

Edited by bugarup

Troll, a recent Norwegian film on Netflix.
I liked the director's (Roar Uthaug) The Wave quite a bit so I thought I'd give it a shot. I guess it's pretty much like a Godzilla or King Kong etc. movie except it's a mythical Troll. Actors all do fine/serviceable, scenery is pretty. A bit slower of a pace than you might expect. But I dunno...for the genre I suppose it's ok but maybe all the overly cliched chr. and plot points for such a film are too predictable at this point and there's nothing about this one to make it stand out.

But it's a somewhat decent effort if you're in the mood for such a film.  Although hubby thought it was utterly terrible (he saw dubbed, I did subs), so YMMV. 😄

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• Gorth locked this topic

New thread here...

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein