The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Reruns

InsaneCommander

I liked it well enough as I thought it was nice that they tried to do a few things different but the problem was that we didn't care for a lot of how they did things differently. Other than that it's about as annoying as many modern shows where the protagonist does the stupid or walks into an obvious trap to move the plot forward. Daredevil was a nice touch.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I liked it well enough as I thought it was nice that they tried to do a few things different but the problem was that we didn't care for a lot of how they did things differently. Other than that it's about as annoying as many modern shows where the protagonist does the stupid or walks into an obvious trap to move the plot forward. Daredevil was a nice touch.

Because it is a sitcom, I think doing the dumb thing works. I mean Seinfeld and Friends are basically built on people making bad decisions. The stakes are low, so it doesn't matter as much as the joke.

20 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

It may change, for sure. I'm only 3 episodes in.

Best dumb moment in TV.

FATHER!!!

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Finished Manifest season 3 - not quite as good as the first two, but yeah, that cliffhanger ending would have ticked me off a little.

But I guess the new season 4 is going to be in two parts (10 ep. each) ... I have no idea when part two is going to release (a month? six?) so now I'm wondering if I want to watch part 1 yet. >.>  

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 11/5/2022 at 2:34 AM, Hurlshort said:

I started watching She-Hulk with my daughter. It's hilarious. It's a solid situational comedy set in the MCU, and I'm enjoying it. I don't understand what the complaints were. *shrug*

The complaints, I suspect, were a mix of concerns, some valid, some... well...

The show has a female lead and a lot of overtly feminist messaging. The MCU has a largely male audience, many of whom also got very mad when Brie Larson noted that the media at a junket were overwhelmingly white men, and suggested it would be nice if women or people of colour were also afforded opportunities in that space.

The show has a very different tone and structure to a lot of the MCU. It is, as Jen puts it, a fun comedy lawyer show, and some members of the fanbase would prefer it not to be.

I think some people were put off by what they saw as disjointed continuity, by the fourth wall breaking humour, and by the last episode maybe doing a bit too much. I didn't have a problem with any of these complaints, but I don't fault people for having them, whereas I definitely fault people for having the other complaints.

• Like 1

In some respects She-Hulk is a good example of how fandom for superhero characters fractures.

Some people vastly prefer the original Savage She-Hulk (Lee/Buscema) where Jen is basically exactly like Hulk. John Byrne's revamp Sensational She-Hulk is where a lot of the 4th wall breaking came in, including a comics equivalent of the tv finale in a story. Dan Slot (w/John Bobillo and Shawn Mull amid others) brought She-Hulk back and played up the comedy lawyer aspect and downplayed (if not eliminated) 4th wall breaking (something Charles Soule (w/Javier Pulido and Ron Wimberly) and the current run by Rainbow Rowell (w/Rogê Antônio) seem to have kept).

And there Mariko Tamaki's She-Hulk (w/Nico Leon) run (initially just called HULK) that's essentially a PTSD metaphor story and very particular to a set of events that an intro story would never really touch.

Anyhow, my point being that fans of the Savage She-Hulk (and fans of comics continuity) wanted that character introduced, fans of Byrne wanted (and got aspects of) that character and Slott fans wanted (and got aspects of) that character.

When Iron Man came out fans were so desperate for an accurate representation that they didn't mind that they'd melded multiple versions of the character into one because it felt like a successful iteration of the character they'd long known; but with success, I think, fans have gotten a lot more demanding (in a negative way) about what they want to see.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I haven't seen She-Hulk, but I did laugh when I read the writers dropped a storyline because they couldn't figure out how to make lawyer stuff exciting. That's probably not something you'd want to say when Better Call Saul is doing the final season.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I dont think Ive ever seen Banner-Hulk in a fight so Ive got a random question. You know how normal Hulk gets stronger and stronger the "madder" he gets, with seemingly no upper limit (World War Hulk). Is Banner-Hulk at a "fixed" power level? Being his genius persona in a Hulk body, he will never be able to "lose his mind" and go full raging Hulk, right? Or does anyone have a link of Banner-Hulk fighting something?

32 minutes ago, Amentep said:

In some respects She-Hulk is a good example of how fandom for superhero characters fractures.

am thinking you are serious over analyzing based on your personal knowledge as 'posed to the ordinary mcu fan. what % o' viewers knows all the jen walters comic stories... or cares?

*shrug*

am not a fan o' she-hulk though it started ok... and the suggestion by some that the problems o' the show is just masculine knee-jerk to feminist content is a cheap dodge in part 'cause she-hulk is a terrible vehicle for feminist issues. 

the show started ok. sure, once again we saw the almost reflexive subversion o' the damsel in distress schtick. jen were instant overcoming the need for a male authority figure or teacher, which ain't a complaint 'cause abandoning the introspection and the obi-wan/merlin tropes advanced the plot and for a sitcom it woulda' been kinda tedious to need deal with incremental overcoming the hulk curse.  jen became a hulk and yet unlike the majority o' her comic book iterations, she rejected the hulk stuff 'cause she already had a meaningful existence. as a successful attorney, jen saw the hulk stuff as nothing more than an annoying obstacle and she weren't gonna let bruce or her own hulkness interfere with her life.

good on you jen. good on marvel for not going with the stoopid "mousy" jen walters who graduates suma **** laude from law school but nevertheless gets her powers after she is the accidental victim o' a mob hit aimed at her father, the la county sheriff. mousy is in quotes 'cause such is how jen walters is described in the comics in spite o' being a successful and attractive woman. tv jen knows her own worth and that value ain't dependent on being a hulk... at least for one episode.

%$#@ 

gonna avoid spoilers, so apologies for being vague, but jen suffers some career setbacks 'cause o' her hulkness which makes her want to be a hulk even less, but then she gets a new job offer, but more important, boys. 

*groan*

got an intelligent, successful, funny and attractive woman who rejects sooperpowers, but then... boys. somehow unable to find a date in la without becoming a 7' viridian centerfold straight out o' a teenage comic geek's wet dream, jen embraces her hulkness... to get laid.

%$#@

and %$#@ anybody who tells us our criticism is 'cause feminist something or other, 'cause that is a terrible direction for a s'posed feminist show to take.

oh, and the show somehow managed to get worse from tinder she-hulk, but were ok 'cause blame it all on formulaic mcu writing as the real bad guy o' the show... or something.

and yeah, there were funny moments we much enjoyed, and yes we did like tatiana maslany, ginger gonzaga and tim roth, 'mongst others. dare devil were a nice addition. but tell us she hulk were disliked 'cause o' men not getting feminism is as cheap as were the she-hulk ending. the show had an actress we saw as more than capable who were a positive female character, right up until boys. squandered talent and opportunity to try and bait and switch feminism. shame on mcu for hand waving at feminism with their cheap schtick while indulging the same old stereotypes and tropes.

guess you could say we were disappointed, and had nothing to do with our comic book expectations.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

most comic fan seems to like lawyer hulk more than the savage rebrand

always hated lawyer version and liked the new version more until the inevitable roll back

the show choose to go with lawyer version was a mistake from the start

but most loud complain have nothing to do with the mistake the show made and certainly overreacting