The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Reruns

InsaneCommander

I have been informed that the following picture is apparently Elrond from The Rings of Power (yes, this is actually real):

Spoiler

firefox_0JATt20feD.png

I am now starting to understand what @majestic means when he says the elves don't look quite elven, because these guys look hilarious. However, as I sadly have not watched the actual show, I have the fortunate distinction of being able to pass on discussion of the series in any meaningful capacity.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

yes, this is actually real

No it isn't.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As I wasn't ever going to touch this show with a ten foot pole anyways, it is quite petty and besides the point (also, possibly a little racist...against elves?). If the characters and writing were good, it would be more or less irrelevant immediately.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Watched a Redeem Team doc on Netflix. I never paid attention back in '08 because I was super focused on other things. If nothing else, it made me respect Lebron a little bit more but I guess being directly compared to Kobe, as a person, it might be hard to come up short there. Was also interesting to see Kobe's work ethic take over the team.

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 10/15/2022 at 2:51 AM, Hurlshort said:

Reveal hidden contents

I never bought that grey robed guy was Sauron. 

Elrond is a little jarring because Hugo Weaving sets a high bar.

Elrond (and his friendship with Durin) is the best part about the show I think. They nailed the "kind as summer" Elrond from the books, unlike Hugo Weaving who is nothing like the character. People like his Elrond because they like Hugo Weaving...who's just being himself. He also looks just as much an elf as bloody Hugo Weaving with his receding hairline did.

---

As for the show. The hate and unreasonable criticism it's getting is so over the top. I've read all of Tolkien' writings (including the obscure stuff) a gazillion times and the feel I'm getting is that these guys know Tolkien better than Peter Jackson did.

While the showmakers take liberties at times, and invent stuff left and right they kind of have to as there are so many blank spots to fill in, in the second age. The dialogue for the most part is Tolkienian (more so than PJ - "let's hunt some orc!"), and he even had so much dialogue to pick from the books.

I'd rate it a decent 7/10, with the expectation that things will get even better now that they've sat things in motion. Big kudos to them that they manage so much with so little to go from, AND with big constraints put on them in terms of where these characters have to end up. I especially loved the dwarven stuff, and the orcs looked better than ever. The dialogue was at times beautiful, and some scenes were much better than they could be expected to be (like the intense back-and-forth with the two Durins).

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 2

It seems like most would agree that budget wasn't really the problem there: don't think throwing more at it would really help.

Edited by Bartimaeus

There clearly were some issues with WoT that were more or less unavoidable due to covid and the actor for Mat quitting.

The other two excuses of needing more run time and a bigger budget though... they didn't use the time they had well and they didn't use the money they had well. More of either probably would have ended up with a bad show that had 10 episodes instead of 8 and was more expensive to boot. You're not going to fix bad writing with more time, you just get more bad writing. Case in point, most of an episode being wasted on the utterly peripheral Stepin plot.

(Ironically the one thing that may well have helped was if it wasn't an Amazon series. The Witcher was a far better show despite having similar problems, and so were the HBO shows (and I'd include stuff like the His Dark Materials there, not just the GoT series). The bad showrunner for WoT is 100% Amazon's fault, and ultimately most of the avoidable problems stem from him being picked and being out of his depth in pretty much every facet. If you're going to do a big budget complicated series nothing beats experience)

• Like 3

Maybe people have too high expectations? I mean, the original movies are pretty much timeless at this point. I've seen them again last year and it honestly still feels like a movie from "today" and not 21 years ago. It's pretty crazy actually. How the hell are you supposed to compete with that.

Edited by Lexx
  • Hmmm 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Lord Christ, please free me from this mortal coil, this episode of House of the Dragon is so incredibly painful, and I am only through fifteen of its sixty minutes. Please just make it stop. Please.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

44 minutes ago, majestic said:

Please just make it stop. Please.

@BartimaeusPrepare the Ludovico chair.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

59 minutes ago, majestic said:

Lord Christ, please free me from this mortal coil, this episode of House of the Dragon is so incredibly painful, and I am only through fifteen of its sixty minutes. Please just make it stop. Please.

Well, that was one hell of an ending, and the absolutely stupidest... dumbest... whatever that was.

Spoiler

Rhaenys ends up having Meleys trained on the entire cast of usurpers, then just ups and leaves out of motherly love because dear Alicent loves her family so much to fight the upcoming civil war on fairer terms.

The Boys already streched credulity by Homelander not just murdering everyone, but this is a damned sight dumberer, me thinking. Me like good things. Me like smash. Me will crush you, crush you to goo. Episode spent half its runtime on trying to inject drama into a foregone conclusion but forgetting the most important part about it: it only works if we have characters we like. Yes, I also already knew that Tyrion is going to survive the Battle of Blackwater, but the way there was at least entertaining. It ended up setting an impossible to pass bar within the series that the showrunners nevertheless tried to pass and invariably failed, but it was a fine episode.

This? Seriously, nope.

Spoiler

Gee, they found Aegon and crowned him. How exciting.

• Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I really must catch up on HotD..

Spoiler

..so I can join in the 🦶 memes?

The commentary I've seen around ep9 certainly makes its end sound like a throwback to later GoT's penchant for 'cool' scenes that made zero sense.

(I almost certainly will catch up since it's now only a months sub; guess the two free eps did work in the end...)

Edited by Zoraptor

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone saying she is a badass. Nope, she just missed the greatest opportunity ever. If her granddaughters die she will never forgive herself.

Untitled-design-35-1.jpg.webp

Did Quentin Tarantino direct episode 9?