The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Reruns

InsaneCommander

7 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

There is weird and there is... bizarre. Are you trying to suggest JoJo?

6usxfj.jpg

Yes. When am I not suggesting JoJo?

giorno-tea.gif

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Primal, episode 6. I have a pretty intense dislike for emotional manipulation via fake-out deaths, but in this case, the show did it about as well as it reasonably could have by doing an entire episode set around tender love + care, rest, and recovery...well, while also under constant threat of being eaten because this is a prehistoric show, but yeah. That's about as good as you could hope for if you're gonna have a character be near bludgeoned to death.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

reboot s01e04 the show may suffer from lack of focus and too many character the writer side are certainly getting more interesting than actor side

Watch the real ReBoot!, not the show that for some reason was allowed to take its name. Sacriledge.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Watched some of that Cyberpunk anime. I find it interesting and think I'm liking it. If I can force my short attention span to turn on the TV and pick it up again tomorrow/soon, I shall continue. eg, definitely worth at least checking out imo.  :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I started "Babylon Berlin". It's about how a deeply traumatized 1st WW veteran nepotism-shielded worst cop ever (three episodes in, lost his gun three times, twice of those was him getting de-gunned by perps) looks for a sex reel that his psychiatrist uses to blackmail the mayor of Cologne, he is helped (or possibly thwarted, hard to tell yet) by his shady partner who looks like Good Soldier Švejk, sometimes he crosses paths with sad pretty lady with awful living conditions  who catalogues grisly murder photos by day and works as dominatrix by night, and there are at least three factions of scheming Russians. Regardless of how this one ends, I am absolutely looking into more German TV. :yes:

I was having an odd mood Friday night and ended up binge-watching my way through a batch of season one Seal Team.

They run into an English, former SAS operator who now runs a nice security company.  My eyebrow quirked with the "This can't happen without there being a reveal within the next 6 episodes he's a bad guy"...   and US television tropes backed up that recognition within 6 episodes.... 😄

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Going through Rings of Power is an excercise in tedium. Roughly every ten minutes I check how much runtime is left on the episode, and wonder in amazement how long ten minutes can feel.

The dialogue keeps being terrible. To give you non-watchers an example of the good dinner fun we're all having here:

Galadriel, to Elendil, having just met Isildur:  "His mother, what happened to her?"
Elendil, staring at the sunrise and the visible coast of Middle Earth: "It is strange. Most of my life, I've looked East to see the Sun rise over the sea. And West, to see it set over the land. We're sailing into the dawn, and yet, to me, it feels like the coming of night."

Well said, Elendil. Well said.

Then there's the funny battle against the orcs.

Basically, the villagers and Arondir the Tactical Genius, give up this position without even so much as a delaying action (sort of, more in the spoiler). Yes, that in the background is a winding mountain path, the only real way to reach the door there:

9xCIwRm.png

Spoiler

To be fair, Arondir manages to make the entire watchtower topple and fall on the gathered enemies by shooting one arrow at it. The Elves certainly did a shoddy job of maintaining the building. Still no reason they couldn't have held off the orcs, inflicting casualties with barely suffering them on their own, with the orcs appearing without any siege equipment at all. No ladders, no battering rams, nothing.

They go to defend here, where Arondir suggests that their positions (atop the more or less ruined hovels to the left that were mostly burned down an episode or two prior) give them an advantage, but only after letting the entire orc force cross the bridge:

91d8HxD.png

That bridge looks like the ideal choke point for a fight. Like, totally ideal. It's perfect. The orcs for sure are going to stumble over each other trying to retreat, and it is going to be so much easier to contain them, especially since there's no way they'll be coming through that little wood next to the bridge to approach unseen, or anything, really...

HELP ME, I CAN'T SWIM!

Edited by majestic

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Going through Rings of Power is an excercise in tedium. Roughly every ten minutes I check how much runtime is left on the episode, and wonder in amazement how long ten minutes can feel.

The dialogue keeps being terrible. To give you non-watchers an example of the good dinner fun we're all having here:

Galadriel, to Elendil, having just met Isildur:  "His mother, what happened to her?"
Elendil, staring at the sunrise and the visible coast of Middle Earth: "It is strange. Most of my life, I've looked East to see the Sun rise over the sea. And West, to see it set over the land. We're sailing into the dawn, and yet, to me, it feels like the coming of night."

Well said, Elendil. Well said.

Then there's the funny battle against the orcs.

Basically, the villagers and Arondir the Tactical Genius, give up this position without even so much as a delaying action (sort of, more in the spoiler). Yes, that in the background is a winding mountain path, the only real way to reach the door there:

9xCIwRm.png

Reveal hidden contents

To be fair, Arondir manages to make the entire watchtower topple and fall on the gathered enemies by shooting one arrow at it. The Elves certainly did a shoddy job of maintaining the building. Still no reason they couldn't have held off the orcs, inflicting casualties with barely suffering them on their own, with the orcs appearing without any siege equipment at all. No ladders, no battering rams, nothing.

They go to defend here, where Arondir suggests that their positions (atop the more or less ruined hovels to the left that were mostly burned down an episode or two prior) give them an advantage, but only after letting the entire orc force cross the bridge:

91d8HxD.png

That bridge looks like the ideal choke point for a fight. Like, totally ideal. It's perfect. The orcs for sure are going to stumble over each other trying to retreat, and it is going to be so much easier to contain them, especially since there's no way they'll be coming through that little wood next to the bridge to approach unseen, or anything, really...

HELP ME, I CAN'T SWIM!

jgwokpq.jpg

sign.jpg

We watched the two Jurassic World sequels over the weekend. I recall that I at least moderately enjoyed the first one as light entertainment. Sure, not as much as the original Jurassic Park, but it was still sorta fun here and there.

--The first JW sequel - both of us rather liked it. Felt like it had a similar action/thrills/humor vibe as the original in some ways. I liked the young female actress' chr too. I probably liked it a little better then the first JW.
--The second sequel (Dominion?) .... well, I found it watchable at least, and I give it credit for trying to change up the predictable a little here and there. But it felt too long, too many "plots", and the humor mostly didn't work for me. It was nice to see the original JP actors again. Oh, I did laugh hysterically at the very end dino fighting stuff, almost worth the price of admission for mirth factor alone - but I'm guessing that wasn't the intended effect. Who knows tho. ;) 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Those three Full Metal Alchemist live-actor movies on Netflix.

The first one is sorta ok in a low budget way. The 2nd one is slightly better. The third one becomes ... not so ok.
It reminded me I've never watched either version of the animes. I think I wanted to watch the somewhat more recent Brotherhood because of the Japanese VA for Roy, but never got around to it, or that alone wasn't reason enough. These films did at least make me curious about that again. A little.

9 hours ago, majestic said:

As one of only one person on the planet who preferred the original to Brotherhood, I, uhm... recommend the original. :p

I watched maybe 3/4 of the original, then just stopped at some point because ... it was just kinda bleh.

Never watched the new version either, though, so there's that. 😄

/Edit: Kinda funny how on the internet the whole show is pretty much just 2 memes. The rain thing and the dog.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

^ Neither seem to be on Amazon Prime or Netflix and I don't feel like registering/subbing or whatever to Funimation or Crunchyroll (again) or where-ever they are at the moment etc.  >.>

...I have the same situation re: the 2019 (or something) reboot of Fruits Basket, that I learned about only very recently, but that one I'd be more willing to buy physically. (if I can find it all at least...) I've seen parts of episodes of this newer version and it looks pretty close in style/content to the original, except more faithful to the manga/more chr. detailed and full story complete.

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

RoP Episode 7 was a bit slow even by my standards, but the harfoots were in it, so I was still happy. They are definitely my favorite part of the show. 

The episode made me groan several times.

Spoiler

Do they honestly believe people will fall for this Isildur, son of Elendil fake-out death?

Episode had an X-Wing at the end for some 'fun' fanservice.

Picked up Fear the Walking Dead again, since I have absolutely nothing else to watch. I'm in the middle of season 7 now and I just want this pain to end. The writing is so stupid, I really can't anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hours ago, majestic said:

The episode made me groan several times.

Hide contents

Do they honestly believe people will fall for this Isildur, son of Elendil fake-out death?

Episode had an X-Wing at the end for some 'fun' fanservice.

Honestly, I doubt most watchers know any of the names outside Galadriel and Elrond.