What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.

Sarex

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Well, PC is operational, luckily it chucked everything into Windows.old, so I can restore my FF profile and other app's configs.  Wonder if I can get the HDD to return to life somehow, probably not given the clicking noise and not even showing on the BIOS.  Tempted to do 80's style TV maintenance and just smack it :lol:

At least I had an interesting night for the first time in months.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I had a similar situation happen and I ended up creating a new boot manager on the correct drive and didn't need to reformat. I don't remember the exact process for doing so, but I do think it is possible. However, looks like you already reformatted and found the Windows.old, so I guess that'll do.

I should really mirror my entire Windows user profile (with AppData and all) just on the off-chance my C drive suddenly dies out of the blue. My first and second ever system SSD drives both died in under a year, and let me tell you, when SSDs die, there is no warning and they are just straight-up gone. At least with HDDs, you usually have a warning if you're vigilant enough...paying attention to odd sounds, occasionally checking SMART data, a rare 2-minute diagnostic scan...but the "it suddenly died and doesn't even appear in my BIOS" is my greatest fear and why I always have everything important to me mirrored these days. The first 1 TB I ever had did that to me and just would not come back no matter how much I unplugged and plugged it back... When I got the replacement drive like a week later, I decided to put both of them in and suddenly the "dead" one came back to life, and I transferred everything over freaking immediately. That was the first and last warning I ever needed on keeping important data mirrored...and the original drive ended up lasting about another twelve months before unstable sectors started terminating themselves and I subsequently ripped it apart to see what the inside of an HDD looked like.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Do notice my PC boots a lot faster, so definitely had the HDD involved in the bootup for some reason. Strange thing for Windows to do, but I guess I should pay attention to that.   HDDs are pretty cheap, so guess will replace that just to stuff music and other files.  Also need to get a new backup drive.  Should also start putting together a new build, but so lazy in my old age I think I'll just bother a friend to come up with the list for me :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

SSD's, when they work, are for me the preferred boot drive. However, I don't keep much important stuff on it. Every now and then, the documents and settings folder gets copied both to an external USB HDD as well as an FTP server (a habit of mine that predates stuff like OneDrive, I-Cloud and Google Drive by decades) as a precaution. I have a repair disk on a USB stick too, if I need to rebuild it on a new drive.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

15 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

I've been both drowsy and nauseous today. I work from home so it's not like I can get anyone else sick. Finally vomited a few minutes ago and it was all water. That's when I realized I hadn't eaten anything today. I do feel better now, though.

Definitely eat something, crackers or bland stuff is good, I think.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I spent the better part of the day explaining things to idiots with money. Some things can only be stupided down so far. However, if I want the idiots to spend their money, and I've been told I do,  then their questions must be answered.  My patience as self restraint were a sight to see today. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Definitely eat something, crackers or bland stuff is good, I think.

Also, might be obvious, but if drinking cold water starts getting you queasy, try drinking some hot water instead - tends to be much easier on you than cold whenever you're sick for whatever reason. Note that I said "hot", and not "warm", because warm water is the worst.

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

@Guard Dogwe always assumed our client's were idiots, not 'cause we thought they actual were idiots, but some few (too many) would do something idiotic to self-sabotage their legal efforts during the course o' our representation. as such it were in our best interest to make things as simple as possible and to cover our own arse by stating verbal and in writing the dos and don'ts they need observe.

polite. we were always polite, but many clients nevertheless were annoyed by what were obvious patronizing. the clients most annoyed by our KISS approach were preternatural in danger o' self immolation. were always tough 'cause you need clients to understand and follow instructions but if the clients believe they is being disrespected, some number will literal go out o' their way to do opposite o' recommendations, which is so strange. if genuine annoyed, then why not just fire us and get a new attorney? the client is paying considerable money for our advice and then to seeming purposeful or reckless ignore advice were kinda nonsensical from our pov, but as such happened more than once, we tried to balance KISS with the necessary ego strokes to get clients to actual follow the advice they were paying to receive. 

eventual, most jobs is actual sales even if you is only selling self to your boss. we were ok with not selling self to bosses, but nevertheless found self channeling our inner joe isuzu with clients.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I spent the better part of the day explaining things to idiots with money. Some things can only be stupided down so far. However, if I want the idiots to spend their money, and I've been told I do,  then their questions must be answered.  My patience as self restraint were a sight to see today. 

As the saying goes, if you can't explain it to a 5 year old, you don't really know it.  😛

I find that is generally true though, I do enjoy explaining things to clients, in the past 11 years of doing it I can say most are not idiots.  Also I appreciate that after working for a while, sometimes they just don't care that much about the job anyway due to burnout or just Initech sucking their soul out.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:56 AM, the_dog_days said:

I've been both drowsy and nauseous today. I work from home so it's not like I can get anyone else sick. Finally vomited a few minutes ago and it was all water. That's when I realized I hadn't eaten anything today. I do feel better now, though.

Hope you get well soon!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I had to explain to people why it's a bad idea to fill up the oil tank on a truck engine when said oil has been standing outside for 3+ months in the weather and looks like babypoop, and that it's not advisable to drive said vehicle either.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I had to explain to people why it's a bad idea to fill up the oil tank on a truck engine when said oil has been standing outside for 3+ months in the weather and looks like babypoop, and that it's not advisable to drive said vehicle either.

Not unless you WANT the engine to seize. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Not unless you WANT the engine to seize. 

Well, said people didn't understand the concept of an engine seizing either, and I had to explain that to them aswell. And then I had a bit of a moment where I wondered if I wouldn't be better off working with special needs people instead. -.-

I'm honestly quite amazed how inept young people are with mechanical things today.

I'm tentatively planning on taking G on a trip for her birthday. Covid may screw that up of course. It seems intent on never f----g off to wherever irrelevant viruses go once folks are basically immune. If that ever even happens. I was thinking of Spain. I've always wanted to go, I can speak the language well enough, and she has never left the US. I was thinking Seville or Barcelona. It would only be for a week so I'd rather spend it in ONE place and see all of that place rather than rush around the country trying to cram everything in. I'm leaning towards Seville though. 

Any suggestions? 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I'm tentatively planning on taking G on a trip for her birthday. Covid may screw that up of course. It seems intent on never f----g off to wherever irrelevant viruses go once folks are basically immune. If that ever even happens. I was thinking of Spain. I've always wanted to go, I can speak the language well enough, and she has never left the US. I was thinking Seville or Barcelona. It would only be for a week so I'd rather spend it in ONE place and see all of that place rather than rush around the country trying to cram everything in. I'm leaning towards Seville though. 

Any suggestions? 

Make sure you get football tickets!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

25 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Any suggestions? 

France, its beautiful and is  historical and has lots to see and the food is great

If G likes UK history then London is  a must with all the great historical sites 

But what does she enjoy or what is she interested in? Does she like good food, tours of medieval history and culture  and or beautiful scenery for example ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Any suggestions? 

Never been to Spain but I had a coworker from Basque country and he swears by it.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

The important question is: when is G's birthday?

Barcelona is great, especially with good weather, so you can spend time strolling through Parc Güell.

London you can do in any weather - if it rains cats and guard dogs, it's just normal weather. And for the various museums you'll be inside anyway.

I haven't been to Seville. I never even finished Ceville on the PC come to think of it.

Obviously super secret pro tip: Athens. It includes lunch with melkathi.

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

37 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Barcelona is great, especially with good weather, so you can spend time strolling through Parc Güell.

London you can do in any weather - if it rains cats and guard dogs, it's just normal weather. And for the various museums you'll be inside anyway.

I haven't been to Seville. I never even finished Ceville on the PC come to think of it.

Good points raised about the time of the year and weather  and how it can influence the decision of what  EU country to visit 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Any suggestions? 

Avoid the German occupied territory of Mallorca and you should be good. :p

Just popped in to make that joke, perhaps @213374U can provide some more on-hands insight.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

I'd have gone with Athens aswell 😄