Jump to content

What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.


Sarex

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I've been doing that for years by now lmao. 😭

My 30th was the year for me. I had those questions pop up in my head before, but I always had the excuse that I'm still young and in my period of life when I'm deciding what to do with it. (to the other people here, I know that being in your 30s is still young, but you have to admit that at this point you are no longer a kid and need to have some **** figured out).

Anyways I'm not unhappy with where I am in life, but I still wonder if I'm maybe missing out on some things...

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

****, you were supposed to do that?

Guess you got the better firmware... 😄

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finished orientation and started my new driving job.

Vd2d74z.jpeg

Orientation was in Lenoir City, TN (next to Knoxville) but my truck was in DeLand,FL (near Orlando), so they got me a rental to make the trip, I loaded the bare essentials I brought with me into the truck, then I got a load from Jacksonville, FL to Piedmont, SC to get me home so that I can load the rest of my stuff into the truck. I got home late last night. Tomorrow I start my regular routine of 5 days on the road then 2 days at home. It's a bit of an adjustment going back to 53' dry van from 43' tanker, but it's a small price to pay to not have to deal with surge (the liquid inside the tank moving) any more.

  • Like 10

breen_tuna.gif.f209371d450243737d37ca9251849aff.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Continued from old thread...

 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I force (powershell) uninstalled Windows 10 Photos apps because it was causing problems with the software I actually like to use to quickly look at images or videos. Once removed, everything went back to normal again.  >.>   I removed most of their "apps" ages ago but left a few like that and Paint cause you figure what problems are they going to cause right. Maybe it was that last update I did a while back - it can take me a long time to notice small things. And they seem to have added more r-click context menu items (to more of their stuff that I never use/care to use) that you can't remove without registry tweaks and ...

... time to remove more Windows "apps."  Edit: I feel like they keep trying to stick their app fingers into all your pies without asking. Go away, MS.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I force (powershell) uninstalled Windows 10 Photos apps because it was causing problems with the software I actually like to use to quickly look at images or videos. Once removed, everything went back to normal again.  >.>   I removed most of their "apps" ages ago but left a few like that and Paint cause you figure what problems are they going to cause right. Maybe it was that last update I did a while back - it can take me a long time to notice small things. And they seem to have added more r-click context menu items (to more of their stuff that I never use/care to use) that you can't remove without registry tweaks and ...

... time to remove more Windows "apps."  Edit: I feel like they keep trying to stick their app fingers into all your pies without asking. Go away, MS.

My fav is Windows forcing you to update when you need to unplug the computer because you're going to work during summer or that a thunderstorm is moving in. Not stressful at all...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I force (powershell) uninstalled Windows 10 Photos apps because it was causing problems with the software I actually like to use to quickly look at images or videos. Once removed, everything went back to normal again.  >.>   I removed most of their "apps" ages ago but left a few like that and Paint cause you figure what problems are they going to cause right. Maybe it was that last update I did a while back - it can take me a long time to notice small things. And they seem to have added more r-click context menu items (to more of their stuff that I never use/care to use) that you can't remove without registry tweaks and ...

... time to remove more Windows "apps."  Edit: I feel like they keep trying to stick their app fingers into all your pies without asking. Go away, MS.

Look at you girlfriend, you little Windows registry hacker   :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm kinda hoping I'll have largely given up games, or decided I don't even need a PC at all, or am dead, before I am forced to use Win11 for anything. Mostly because I don't like hassle anymore. I think (new) games should still be supporting Win10 for another 6+ years at least, right? Or maybe I'll just use a console+recliner for gaming by then.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Passwords expired today, so had to add one to the counter at the end.

  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got Covid booster and didn't die. So that's good. Almost 6 hours now and no side affects at all. 

 

  • Like 1

"Be on the lookout for thieves, trespassers, aaaand COMMUNISTS!"

The Director FO4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Happy belated birthday KP!

Thanks, hopefully next year I don't hit 110.

42 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Got Covid booster and didn't die. So that's good. Almost 6 hours now and no side affects at all. 

 

Does Bill Gates own your soul yet? He will.

"To be fair, if I was married to Milla Jovovich, I would also be happy just making movies that show off her butt." - Hurlsnot

"I originally just wanted to ignore this, but I can't sleep, so why not." - majestic

"I murdered my entire family as well as the police and priests investigating me for murdering my entire family in the name of Satan. Good times." - Bartimaeus

"I will undoubtedly cave and buy this since Nintendo has me by the balls with Shin Megami Tensei V." - Keyrock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Azdeus said:

My fav is Windows forcing you to update when you need to unplug the computer because you're going to work during summer or that a thunderstorm is moving in. Not stressful at all...

I believe you can just kill the Windows Update service and it will delay pending updates until the next shutdown/restart.

(e): ...Until the next shutdown/restart AFTER the next shutdown/restart, that is, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Quote

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I believe you can just kill the Windows Update service and it will delay pending updates until the next shutdown/restart.

(e): ...Until the next shutdown/restart AFTER the next shutdown/restart, that is, :p.

Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me. I don't want to upgrade to Pro either. I'd switch to Linux, but... I enjoy playing games more than I do troubleshooting, I play VR games and, well, I watched Linus Tech tips linux challenge videos. Maybe in a few years, maybe it will be worth it if Valve invests more into it.

I usually just use the killswitch and imagine that it's a 25kV shocker connected to Satya Nadellas testicles.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me. I don't want to upgrade to Pro either. I'd switch to Linux, but... I enjoy playing games more than I do troubleshooting, I play VR games and, well, I watched Linus Tech tips linux challenge videos. Maybe in a few years, maybe it will be worth it if Valve invests more into it.

I usually just use the killswitch and imagine that it's a 25kV shocker connected to Satya Nadellas testicles.

Many of the primary strengths of Linux are also its weaknesses in that they make the OS difficult and annoying to use. Good for a number of specialized purposes, bad for most other things. The fact that there are so many "major" distributions and nobody can agree on which is the best even for just a general user also means no version of the OS will ever be ubiquitous enough to really take-off - everyone's too split across too many different versions. I'm not really ever expecting Linux's story to change.

I'm glad I was able to find a more static version of Windows 10 to use (LTSC), otherwise I'd probably still be trying to use Windows 7. Static, stable, secure, and functional - the primary things I want in an OS, and LTSC gets the job done. ...On the other hand, you do have to steal it to obtain it for non-business purposes, but not really much of an issue.

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Quote

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Many of the primary strengths of Linux are also its weaknesses in that they make the OS difficult and annoying to use. Good for a number of specialized purposes, bad for most other things. The fact that there are so many "major" distributions and nobody can agree on which is the best even for just a general user also means no version of the OS will ever be ubiquitous enough to really take-off - everyone's too split across too many different versions. I'm not really ever expecting Linux's story to change.

I'm glad I was able to find a more static version of Windows 10 to use (LTSC), otherwise I'd probably still be trying to use Windows 7. Static, stable, secure, and functional - the primary things I want in an OS, and LTSC gets the job done. ...On the other hand, you do have to steal it to obtain it for non-business purposes, but not really much of an issue.

Yeah, that's why I'm, despite my general disdain for Steam, am holding out a bit of hope that they will be able to get something going with their Steam OS. It's really the only hope I see on the horizon.

Nice, how does it work for things like gaming?

  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, that's why I'm, despite my general disdain for Steam, am holding out a bit of hope that they will be able to get something going with their Steam OS. It's really the only hope I see on the horizon.

Nice, how does it work for things like gaming?

Perfectly fine from everything I've ever done with it, and I think the general experience is that compatibility with everything is fine, but some games either suffer get a little faster or a little slower, depending on the exact game in question. The latest version of LTSC (2019) is basically a slightly stripped down version of Windows 10 1803, but only ongoing security updates and nothing feature-related. They're going to release one last final version of Windows 10 LTSC sometime within the next year or two, last I heard - most likely will be a slightly stripped down version of whatever the last major version of Windows 10 is. Might decide to upgrade to that when it comes out, I'm not entirely certain yet.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Quote

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 4:35 PM, LadyCrimson said:

I'm kinda hoping I'll have largely given up games, or decided I don't even need a PC at all, or am dead, before I am forced to use Win11 for anything. Mostly because I don't like hassle anymore. I think (new) games should still be supporting Win10 for another 6+ years at least, right? Or maybe I'll just use a console+recliner for gaming by then.

The tech guy who fixed my computer asked me if I wanted Win 10 or 11, then decided by himself that I want 10 since I need the PC for work and who knows how long it will take them to get 11 to a point where you can be certain it won't mess everything up for you.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juggling a little bout of depression, frustration, and isolation feeling. Working on that job hunt in half hour batches before my brain runs into a wall and needs diversion.

Kind of amused, found the original "Five Year Guarantee" of the sewing machine - which showed it was originally picked up in 1971. So it is literally 50 years old.

Did some playaround practice stuff for how to sew vents, pleats, darts, and a few other things for personally tailoring your clothes.

  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Youtube gave me a good recommendation of a lecture on Marcus Aurelius and stoicism, so I realize I am the reason I suck.

  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spend the better part of the last 3 days painting cats onto little wooden forks.

81 cats done. Need about another 70 to finish the planned collage.

  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

This one is from yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYq55HtNB3k/

And attaching a sample of the last couple of days. Just reaching the 90 in 3 days mark now.

 

so, what is the story behind the single blue unhappy cat in top-right quadrant? one cat receives a distinct downturn frown is the kinda thing which sets off our ocd. 

...

am not genuine serious btw 'bout needing the story, but is sad such does spark our ocd, which were great in our line o' work 'but is annoying in rl.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, it was just to have a small detail to kindle imagination. The plan is to have around 150 of them in the finished piece (unless I miscalculated and need 300...) So I need to have little details all over the place someone could notice.

  • Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...