Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)

Amentep

All these Facebook memes/images you guys post never load for me. I think I have a container that prevents anything from a Facebook domain from loading if I'm not actually directly on a Facebook page or something. Probably for the best.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

then you really don't know how cops behave in many/most jurisdictions.

One thing I have learned.... as you have said on more than one occasion... don't argue with them and don't talk to them more than the bare minimum. No good comes of that.  And be nice. If they are in the wrong the time to sort that out is after. Even if they are in the right you might still get out of it later. But you are only going to make things worse trying to deal with the police the night of. 

But as far as first hand interactions I have not had many. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

All these Facebook memes/images you guys post never load for me. I think I have a container that prevents anything from a Facebook domain from loading if I'm not actually directly on a Facebook page or something. Probably for the best.

Eh, it's a pain to save an image, upload it to photobucket or some such service,  and then share it on the forums, so I tend to just directly link them.

I've never been able to find an option to delete old pictures from the Forum gallery you can upload to, so it's maxed out from long dead threads.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

I've never been able to find an option to delete old pictures from the Forum gallery you can upload to, so it's maxed out from long dead threads.

Right. I may be misremembering, but I think there used to be an option to delete images from "My attachments" in the account CP. Now it seems the only way to do it is to delete the attachment directly in the post, but since there are restrictions on editing based on time, that's not a solution.

I'm cross-posting it to the Forum Comments and Issues thread. Feel free to add your own remarks. 

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I've never heard of a DUI that did not lead to arrest. Every state I've ever lived in that was an automatic trip to the pokey.

I had a buddy in college get a DUI at a tailgate for a football game. He was behind the wheel but not actively driving. He was cited and not arrested. I assume he was blasting his music or something obnoxious. I think he got it dropped. 

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Eh, it's a pain to save an image, upload it to photobucket or some such service,  and then share it on the forums, so I tend to just directly link them.

What you could do is use Greenshot, I believe you can integrate that with imgur

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

One thing I have learned.... as you have said on more than one occasion... don't argue with them and don't talk to them more than the bare minimum. No good comes of that.  And be nice. If they are in the wrong the time to sort that out is after. Even if they are in the right you might still get out of it later. But you are only going to make things worse trying to deal with the police the night of. 

agreed. most people got sense enough to be wary o' an unfamiliar dog. do not provoke the dog. don't aggravate the dog. things turn sideways and dog attacks, then even if you win, chances are you got bit... and maybe need a hospital visit. 

if you get bit by rex, we can all agree the dog owner is a bad person for not restraining the dog and/or not training him to be better socialized-- even inherent mean dogs may be trained. you shouldn't need be afraid o' some other guy's dog, but the reasonable course o' action is to err on side o' caution with dogs.  

the sense many o' us has when facing a strange dog, we lose when facing cops. cops got guns.  more caution would be appropriate with cops, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

agreed. most people got sense enough to be wary o' an unfamiliar dog. do not provoke the dog. don't aggravate the dog. things turn sideways and dog attacks, then even if you win, chances are you got bit... and maybe need a hospital visit. 

if you get bit by rex, we can all agree the dog owner is a bad person for not restraining the dog and/or not training him to be better socialized-- even inherent mean dogs may be trained. you shouldn't need be afraid o' some other guy's dog, but the reasonable course o' action is to err on side o' caution with dogs.  

the sense many o' us has when facing a strange dog, we lose when facing cops. cops got guns.  more caution would be appropriate with cops, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

Great analogy. I am so stealing that!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

What you could do is use Greenshot, I believe you can integrate that with imgur

I mean, if I'm the only one that has an issue with it, then it's probably just easier to stick with posting the Facebook direct links. It's way more trouble for all the people who do that (which is not just Raithe) than it is for me to work around it, :p.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I see the number strings only as well (due to Firefox's anti tracking nuking fbcdn and similar, I believe), but meh, not an issue.

I quite liked the text descriptions of the missing images that occasionally cropped up since about half the time I could guess the image from that and the other half the time they were amusingly random, but they seem to have stopped.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

I see the number strings only as well (due to Firefox's anti tracking nuking fbcdn and similar, I believe), but meh, not an issue.

I quite liked the text descriptions of the missing images that occasionally cropped up since about half the time I could guess the image from that and the other half the time they were amusingly random, but they seem to have stopped.

Still happens sometimes, think it must depend on some fields being set on Facebook itself or something. Can see it here on Raithe's post in the first page:

As a nice point on the whole Republic "We are Law and Order first"..

The Guardian - How they happily de-funded the police we actually need

Specifically, they have pushed to defund:

Trump has called himself the “president of law and order,” but these efforts to defund the police have created lawlessness and disorder. And yet, that hasn’t been mentioned by the politicians and pundits pretending to be scandalized by protesters’ demands for a change in criminal justice priorities.

Apparently, we’re expected to be horrified by proposals to reduce funding for the militarized police forces that are violently attacking peaceful protesters – but we’re supposed to obediently accept the defunding of the police forces responsible for protecting the population from the wealthy and powerful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/supreme-court-rules-workers-cant-be-fired-for-being-gay-or-transgender.html

Here is some good news, the USA SC ruled you cannot fire someone for being gay...brilliant outcome and a victory for human rights 🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/supreme-court-rules-workers-cant-be-fired-for-being-gay-or-transgender.html

Here is some good news, the USA SC ruled you cannot fire someone for being gay...brilliant outcome and a victory for human rights 🥂

36 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

You can get fired with no reason given.

How is it in USA? In Poland for a contracted employee employeer need to state a reason if fired. 

166215__front.jpg

With the exception of certain employment situations in the US, for most professional jobs you'd need to show cause or violations of the employment contract to terminate someone.   Temporary work, day-to-day employees, etc. will be exceptions.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 minutes ago, Amentep said:

With the exception of certain employment situations in the US, for most professional jobs you'd need to show cause or violations of the employment contract to terminate someone.   Temporary work, day-to-day employees, etc. will be exceptions.

So it's similar then. Was it common to cite being homosexual or trans person as a reason for termination? Otherwise I don't really see what would be the impact of this SC decision.

166215__front.jpg

In this case for the Supreme Court, my understanding is that the official reason he was terminated was listed as "conduct unbecoming", and that when he pushed about the reasoning was able to make some connection between his firing and his joining a gay sports team.  

When there isn't a documented pattern of employee issues to justify cause it opens employers up to accusations of manufacturing cause in a firing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

14 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

So it's similar then. Was it common to cite being homosexual or trans person as a reason for termination? Otherwise I don't really see what would be the impact of this SC decision.

At-will employees can be terminated at any time for any non illegal reasons. I think there're other provisions and exceptions in different states but I'm not well-versed on this topic.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

So if anyone can be fired at any time for no reasons given, then ... this whole "can't fire gay people"-thing is ... kinda useless? They will certainly say that you have not been fired because of the gay, then you will have to bring the prove, which in most cases is probably pretty hard or impossible.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I did find it amusing that Atlanta called in the National Guard.. and then the NG started dancing with the protestors

NationalGuard.mil - Defuse tension with Atlanta Protestors

Other cities in the US: "It's a war zone!" Meanwhile, in Atlanta: "Dance War!"

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

You can get fired with no reason given.

relative few jobs in the US, even professional, is covered by a contract. at-will is standard. 

nevertheless, just as when issue is the employee's race and religion and other protected classes/groups, if the plaintiff shows proof the employer fired for an improper reason, even if no reason is provided, the employer will need make the plaintiff whole.  

thanks to social media and email, employers is frequent memorializing their stoopidity, so one not even need rely on recollections o' a parade o' disgruntled employees who perhaps overheard a conversation which may or may not avoid hearsay depending on situation and context. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trump calls it 'inappropriate' for Bolton to write book

“If he wrote a book, I can’t imagine that he can because that’s highly classified information,” Trump, who said he hadn’t read the book, told reporters during a meeting in the Cabinet Room. 

“I will consider every conversation with me as president highly classified. So that would mean if he wrote a book and if the book gets out, he’s broken the law and I would think he would have criminal problems,” Trump continued.

well, that's just wrong. not need to explain why is wrong, yes? should be axiomatic that President don't get to declare all private conversations with his exalted personage highly classified and the divulging o' contents from such conversations to be worthy o' criminalization. 

*shrug*

am admitted curious to hear how the fox pundits will spin this as we continue to see the chief executive slouch towards tyranny.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1