Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)

Amentep

as an aside, am not certain what barr and trump is doing with their case 'gainst bolton, other than working as free publicity and making the book more salacious than it has any chance o' being for reals. am predicting the book underwhelms, 'cause in spite o' pre-release sales pitches, bolton has taken great efforts to maintain his tarnished standing w/i the gop in spite o' the trump fallout.

"any system of prior restraints of expression comes to this Court bearing a heavy presumption against its constitutional validity."

you youngsters feel free to do a search for "pentagon papers" case. regardless, Court gave a hearty fu to government attempt to suppress so-called harmful and libelous material, even when government made claims o' the substance o' the publication being otherwise classified material.  the doj and trump is punching way above their weight class in this battle.

oh, and while it garnered less attention, there were a legal kerfuffle for chris simms and his publication efforts o' team of vipers. barr suggesting the current situation is a novel issue o' law requires him have memento kinda recollection impairment as vipers were a 2019 publication. 

find a trump sympathetic judge who wants to review the entirety o' the work in camera and perhaps we see a short delay, but is tough to imagine the publication o' bolton's book is prevented. all trump and barr has done has made it so that those folks who were angry at bolton for not testifying at impeachment and were likely gonna boycott his book, now is gonna be doing anything they may to get their mitts on the work as soon as it becomes available.

HA! Good Fun!

ps pentagon papers were 1971, so were kinda before time which we were reading nyt articles on a regular basis... full disclosure.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"is good to know you are here to defend against an argument nobody has made on these boards, least not that we may recall. "

People defend BLM/Antifa. And, their claims  are bogus and include that 'racism is a white only disease' and 'NA has cultural systematic racism in 2020'.  If one supports BLM/Antifa they support that kind of ignorance.

"We don't hate you just because you're Kanadian 😛"

Not as much as I hate many of my fellow Kanadians and are fake rep as 'nice people'.  I can't beleive still buy that silliness. We had a mass murder during the Covid 'epedimic'; and hardly a peep from anyone outside of the gov't deciding they'll try to steal more freedom away.  Something happens in the US and suddenly 'Kanada is super racist'. L0LZ

"It'd probably be a little more noteworthy if Obsidian, uh, was actually managing these forums, :p. Give thanks to the moderation team, not MIA Obsidian (who might very well not feel so kindly if they actually noticed...)."

Well.. whoever.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just now, Volourn said:

"is good to know you are here to defend against an argument nobody has made on these boards, least not that we may recall. "

People defend BLM/Antifa. And, their claims  are bogus and include that 'racism is a white only disease' and 'NA has cultural systematic racism in 2020'.  If one supports BLM/Antifa they support that kind of ignorance.

so, you are retreating to a trumplike, "some people say," defense o' an argument nobody hereabouts made?  you are using the vol transitive property for argumentation? conflating blm and antifa is a nice trick too, but notion you is justified in knocking the stuffing outta an argument some rando yutz somewhere in cyberspace made 'cause those unnamed clowns has affiliation to otherwise diverse groups and such groups has found support 'mongst a few obsidian board members?  

well, ok then.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"o, you are retreating to a trumplike, "some people say," defense o' an argument nobody hereabouts made?  you are using the vol transitive property for argumentation? conflating blm and antifa is a nice trick too, but notion you is justified in knocking the stuffing outta an argument some rando yutz somewhere in cyberspace made 'cause those unnamed clowns has affiliation to otherwise diverse groups and such groups has found support 'mongst a few obsidian board members? "

Kinda like blaming all cops for   some cops' actions and blaming all white people for slavery  being legal century ago?

Nice troll bringing up Trumptard but doesn't change the fact that BLM and Antifa   same crap different pile  spamming the same nonsensical lies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

3 minutes ago, Volourn said:

"o, you are retreating to a trumplike, "some people say," defense o' an argument nobody hereabouts made?  you are using the vol transitive property for argumentation? conflating blm and antifa is a nice trick too, but notion you is justified in knocking the stuffing outta an argument some rando yutz somewhere in cyberspace made 'cause those unnamed clowns has affiliation to otherwise diverse groups and such groups has found support 'mongst a few obsidian board members? "

Kinda like blaming all cops for   some cops' actions and blaming all white people for slavery  being legal century ago?

Nice troll bringing up Trumptard but doesn't change the fact that BLM and Antifa   same crap different pile  spamming the same nonsensical lies.

another argument nobody here made. who is blaming all cops? a few folks has suggested cop job attracts wrong persons, but nobody has suggested all cops is guilty for the actions o' those who done wrong in minneapolis and elsewhere. too many bad cops? too much violence? not anywhere near same as all guilty.

blm and antifa is same "crap pile"?  so, no longer concerned 'bout fairness, eh? blm and antifa is all same and anybody who supports any aspect o' either group fails vol's weird racism test? 

vol may not be as clever as loki, but he got same smell.

but since am posting movie clips, give dc a shot.

at the beginning o' june, bolton was nobody to anybody. on the right he were all too often seen as the weak link who trump jettisoned from the wh and on left bolton were viewed as a coward who, when the moment came for him to show his mettle, he cowered behind a subpoena which were not actual forthcoming. however, with legal action taken by doj, bolton is getting new life.

is nothing with which trump and barr may threaten bolton. transform bolton form an ordinary clown into the joker? no way.

HA! Good Fun!

Could American Evangelists Spot the Antichrist?

Never gave any credence to Revelations or any similar prophecies throughout the Bible, always felt Revelations was written by a true madman ("John of Patmos", aka "John the Revelator"), but it is rather eerie and unsettling how specific some of these get. Some of them, of course, are loose interpretations, but that happens when dealing with vague "prophecies". The ones about having a conflict at the southern border and attempting to exact payment out of that southern country while also inflicting distress upon their people is a little too much specific for that to not be uncomfortable...

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

16 hours ago, Gromnir said:

another argument nobody here made. who is blaming all cops? a few folks has suggested cop job attracts wrong persons, but nobody has suggested all cops is guilty for the actions o' those who done wrong in minneapolis and elsewhere. too many bad cops? too much violence? not anywhere near same as all guilty.

As long as capitalism remains intact police brutality and racism (from ALL races) will remain, our economic system is fundamentally racist so unless we fix the system it will never go away.  People really need to stop focusing on cosmetics and reskins and start focusing on the structure of society. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

As long as capitalism remains intact police brutality and racism (from ALL races) will remain, our economic system is fundamentally racist so unless we fix the system it will never go away.  People really need to stop focusing on cosmetics and reskins and start focusing on the structure of society. 

Nope sorry but now you really making spurious corollaries and economic\social assumptions, its hard to believe you being serious ?

Capitalism is just an economic system, its not " anti"  anything and its not personal and or emotional...its absolutely cannot be racist because that suggests it has the cognitive ability to be "  biased and or prejudiced towards someone of a different skin " ( that is the global definition of racism )

Of course you still need labor laws, regulations and Constitutional mandates to ensure Capitalism isnt abused but that is the responsibility and or success\failure of the government that is elected ....you cannot blame the economic system for perceptions of inequality and or  " structural racism  " 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Nope sorry...

just a heads up:

the comrade board character, which am dubious as to legitimacy, is a cartoonish level ideologue. his/her posting strikes us as disingenuous and am suspecting the post you respond to is just one o' many offerings which function as a kinda inside joke, so far played out in +300 segments, only the poster gets.

alternative, he/she is a genuine cartoony ideologue.

decide for self which alternative is less worthy o' serious response.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

just a heads up:

the comrade board character, which am dubious as to legitimacy, is a cartoonish level ideologue. his/her posting strikes us as disingenuous and am suspecting the post you respond to is just one o' many offerings which function as a kinda inside joke, so far played out in +300 segments, only the poster gets.

alternative, he/she is a genuine cartoony ideologue.

decide for self which alternative is less worthy o' serious response.

HA! Good Fun!

I tend to agree, Comrade is at times studiously " controversial "  but its all Cold War ideology so its a little outdated. Debates like " Capitalism is the scourge of modern societies "  and  how "Mother Russia and Red China "  offers a better way of sustainable, happy living than " Western "  countries 

Anyway he doesnt deny he likes to engage in this type of debate in the interest of robust debate so its not done surreptitiously IMO 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Could American Evangelists Spot the Antichrist?

Never gave any credence to Revelations or any similar prophecies throughout the Bible, always felt Revelations was written by a true madman ("John of Patmos", aka "John the Revelator"), but it is rather eerie and unsettling how specific some of these get. Some of them, of course, are loose interpretations, but that happens when dealing with vague "prophecies". The ones about having a conflict at the southern border and attempting to exact payment out of that southern country while also inflicting distress upon their people is a little too much specific for that to not be uncomfortable...

Re-read it an compare it to the events surrounding the schism and collapse of the Western Roman Empire and you'll almost be convinced he was thinking of that rather than the end of the world. Of course it was calamitous enough you might think it WAS the end of the world from a certain point of view. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So... am I the only one carrying a pistol pretty much everywhere these days?

I don't much care about any of the rest of this s--t but Guard Dog's life matters. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I don't much care about any of the rest of this s--t but Guard Dog's life matters. 

I need to go and defecate in the face of some gangbanger or Hells Angels girlfriend for that. If you have an immediate threat to your life in Sweden you can get concealed carry training and permission. It's kind of unlikely to get there though, but for someone that lives like me with tens of minutes in police response time, it's theoretically possible.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

you o' all folks know how statistical you has significantly increased the likelihood o' your own death and injury by carrying such a weapon, but every handgun toting person seems to believe the folks responsible for such numbers is untrained or ignorant, so...

regardless, if you do care 'bout gd's life, smart money is to ditch the handgun asap.

HA! Good Fun!

ps particular as gd referenced "these days," death by cop numbers multiple by a factor o' ten if the unnecessary corpse were armed.  regardless o' race, you is statistical more likely to die from a pen/marker than a cop... unless you are armed. 

Edited by Gromnir

That reminds me of a funny thread I read on that Nextdoor social media site the other day. Nextdoor is kind of a humorous facebook site where neighbors complain about each other. Now our town is divided up into a few different areas. There is the main area that is mostly single family homes with easy freeway access for commuting. It's very suburban and sprawls across a valley floor. Then we have a clump of houses up on the ridge line called Holiday Lake Estates. A lady from up there posted that she wanted to learn how to handle a gun, because of the current unrest. She was concerned that the police would not be able to respond quickly to her.

I was like, the police have never been able to respond quickly to you. You live on a mountain ridge! It's a 10-minute drive to get up there no matter how well funded the police department is or how many officers are available. Also, nobody is climbing up that hill to loot and riot in your quiet neighborhood. Your level of risk has not changed in any way due to the current political climate. 

Meanwhile I live a block away from the city center, and we've had a number of protest marches come through. They've all been chill. My safety is much more at risk from all the bad drivers that zip around our side streets trying to avoid freeway traffic than I am any bands of roving antifa fighters. :wowey: 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

you o' all folks know how statistical you has significantly increased the likelihood o' your own death and injury by carrying such a weapon, but every handgun toting person seems to believe the folks responsible for such numbers is untrained or ignorant, so...

regardless, if you do care 'bout gd's life, smart money is to ditch the handgun asap.

HA! Good Fun!

ps particular as gd referenced "these days," death by cop numbers multiple by a factor o' ten if the unnecessary corpse were armed.  regardless o' race, you is statistical more likely to die from a pen/marker than a cop... unless you are armed. 

In any interaction with the police I hand them my CC card, tell them what I'm carrying and where it is. It's not a problem. We are required to do so in some states, not in others. in mine it is a requirement. The likelihood of me being injured of killed BECAUSE I am carrying a firearm is slightly above zero. A firearm is very much like a fire extinguisher. A specific tool for a specific purpose. And it would only ever be used for that purpose. The only way anyone would even know I even have it would be to physically assault me in some fashion where I cannot get away. Under those circumstances alone would I use a carry firearm.

Generally speaking if I think I'm going to need a firearm somewhere I'm not going to go. That's why you won't catch me anywhere near Memphis. Ever again if I can help it. But I'm not going to throw away the fire extinguisher just because it's unlikely I'll ever have a fire.

Now, that is just my carry weapon rules. When it comes to defending my home, if I've caught someone on my property, having crossed numerous fences to be there I am far more likely to assume hostile intent and respond appropriately.  

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Are you saying that your primary concern is you and yours! *GASP* YOU MONSTER!!1uno!1 :lol: :p 

But to be serious, I dont know anyone that carries a gun. Do you carry it on your person? Or vehicle?

This is my carry weapon: https://www.bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/ranger-ii/

Mine is the .45LC/410 version. But I bought the fully rifled barrel upgrade. When at work or other places where carrying is inappropriate I have a lockbox mounted to the floor behind the driver's seat of my truck. Otherwise, front left pocket. It fits perfectly

Thomas Sowell

28 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

This is my carry weapon: https://www.bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/ranger-ii/

Mine is the .45LC/410 version. But I bought the fully rifled barrel upgrade. When at work or other places where carrying is inappropriate I have a lockbox mounted to the floor behind the driver's seat of my truck. Otherwise, front left pocket. It fits perfectly

Only two shots though ? 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Only two shots though ? 

If one is not sufficient what use would a dozen be? The idea is to neutralize a threat long enough to get away. Not stand in a prolonged gun fight.

Besides, I have a serious dislike for semi-auto action. There is a maxim among mechanical engineers. Given your education and background I expect you've heard it: "The reliability of a working machine is in direct proportion to the simplicity of it's design". In this design there is no chance of a misfire. 

Thomas Sowell

Pre-ordered for Kindle:

The Room Where It Happened | Book by John Bolton | Official ... 

Thomas Sowell