Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

The super fast logout seriously needs a fix. Especially on mobile with slow speed it is a very annoying pain, because you have to go through more pages than normally necessary. Makes me stop browsing the forum.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

According to the two factor thread you still get logged out with two factor.

Also in that thread The Guildmaster (admin) states that they are working to fix the time-outs.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh I suppose this makes more sense over here, so:

Use this with Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey extension via adding a new script:

// ==UserScript==
// @require http://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.3.1.min.js
// @name         Remove unnecessary information
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description
// @author       You
// @match        http*://forums.obsidian.net/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

let func = function() {
        $('li.backer-badge').hide()
        $('li.ipsSpacer_bottom').hide()
        $('li.ipsResponsive_hidePhone').hide()
        $('article.ipsComment').css('background', 'black')
    }

func()

setInterval(func, 1000)
})();

Gets you this:

nm28xJl.png

(Removes badges and stuff you can also find on individual user pages + increases post background's contrast to help individual posts stand out more and I feel it's easier on the eyes)

This:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Remove ignored users
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  
// @author       You
// @match        http*://forums.obsidian.net/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';
    let func = function() {
        $('.ipsComment_ignored').hide()
    }

func()

setInterval(func, 1000)
})();

Hides ignored users thingy.

Edited by Fenixp
Updated scripts to fire every second
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Fenixp

Looks so much better with that clean-up script, thanks.

firefox_2019-04-26_10-31-21.png

This shows at the top of my profile no matter how many times I click on it and try to "complete" my profile.

Additionally, would like to mention that we regular users don't seem to be able to set our profile banners, which makes for rather clashing looks. Should either be disabled or be able to set it, IMO.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

47 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Is there a configuration option to stay logged on? I didn't see one; it's a nuisance now to have to sign on every time.

Obsidian is working on increasing the "session" time. Hopefully it will be for like a week or so, at minimum. There's really nothing "sensitive" about these forums accounts that requires timed sessions or even multi-factor authentication. If people are storing their social security numbers on this forum, they are doofs. There's essentially just words about games and even less meaningful stuff.

Edited by Marceror
added "at minimum". Please reach out if you have any questions about this edit. Perhaps we can have a Skype discussion, or maybe I'll fly to where you live if you are really concerned about my need to edit this post. I want you to feel secure about this.
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Even a week is too short for my taste. : >

Isn't this forum invision software? Should be a default feature for as far as I am aware.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

27 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Even a week is too short for my taste. : >

Isn't this forum invision software? Should be a default feature for as far as I am aware.

Same here, really -- hence my edit (you did notice the edit, right? Oh god, they may need to make the edits stand out more...!). Previously I was able to stay logged in for a good month before having to log back in. That would be very nice to keep with.

Bartimaeus - you can always dismiss that banner, but nothing I did yesterday seemed to take it to completion either.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Bartimaeus - you can always dismiss that banner, but nothing I did yesterday seemed to take it to completion either.

It might be fixed now, but each bit of info in that profile popup was being treated as a required field. You needed to fill in each field with something before it would stop periodically nagging you...

1 hour ago, Ethics Gradient said:

It might be fixed now, but each bit of info in that profile popup was being treated as a required field. You needed to fill in each field with something before it would stop periodically nagging you...

I filled out all of my fields with whatever responses. And haha, several of those fields are displayed every time I post now. I'm having fun.

And sorry to the now Microsoft owned Obsidian, but I'm a till the death Personal Computer (PC) gamer. No Xbox gamer tag, ever.

Edited by Marceror
I do play on Windows based Operating Systems 80+% of the time though. Yep, just putting my edited text right here.

I noticed that Gfted1's rank is "Forum Moderator" and he's part of the "Moderators" group. He also has a huge "MODERATOR" tag right under all of that.

My considerable deductive powers suggest that he may be a moderator, but I would need more evidence to make a definitive statement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

14 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I noticed that Gfted1's rank is "Forum Moderator" and he's part of the "Moderators" group. He also has a huge "MODERATOR" tag right under all of that.

My considerable deductive powers suggest that he may be a moderator, but I would need more evidence to make a definitive statement.

Maybe 3 or 4 flashing images that things like "Moderation is Key", "Moderating is just my thing", "I Moderate, therefore I am", etc., etc.... could help add a little more clarity on this matter.

I do love how this forum is really taking a "hit 'em over the head" sort of approach to getting a message across. But have they really done enough yet?

The forum loads a fair bit slower on my older Galaxy S5 phone mini-tablet. I think hubby brought home a S7 to use (I love freebies!) but I haven't got around to setting it up.

I also wonder what it is about the new software that keeps the loading bar and loading twirly icon going and going and going for a long while, long after the page (seems to) loads and I can read/scroll etc. It's like it's hanging on something for 10-15 seconds.  The loading bar line seems new/specific to this forum, it's not just the regular browser thing I think? Doesn't show on other sites/pages anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, injurai said:

Site won't use my saved login. Is this to do with the two-factor?

If you mean the auto login feature, that's not working for me, I've double checked and it says it's enabled, but it's not happening.

edit: I've also noticed that on occasion while loading, the forum will show for a brief second in the browser like a read-only version with all the graphics stripped and showing hyperlinks. Not sure what causes it, but just letting you guys know about that glitch.

edit2: Actually, it seems to show up for the politics thread? Maybe because of the video? Also, in response to the earlier comment about the double new line indent, I'm not liking that either.

Edited by smjjames

Double post because, uh, I don't know for sure if it shows edited posts as new posts:

I'd like to lodge a complaint of an annoyance (that's what this thread is for, right?), you know the 'forums' 'blogs' 'activity', etc buttons at the top? Well, the hotspot for that extends about a half inch below the text and the hitbox is pretty close to the forum index buttons, making it easy to hit it when moving the mouse to those buttons. It's a minor annoyance, but I wouldn't be the only person to find it annoying.

Re: the double space - the forum puts in some height space automatically with just one Return, no need to double tap it.

Like that. It's when you don't want the space but still want to start a new line that's annoying on say a phone, because you can't do the Shift+Return to prevent the spacing.

18 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I don't know for sure if it shows edited posts as new posts:

They don't show up as new posts.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

The "like" should be something other than a "heart". I don't "love" the post, Im just nodding/agreeing.

Not sure if I'm losing my mind, but I could have swore that the like heart was originally colored blue rather than red immediately after the updated site launched. The blue seemed much more appropriate for a like. Than when I came back at some point the next day I noticed it had been changed to from blue to red.

Or, I may just be losing my mind.