Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

Hey everyone!

If you see this, then welcome to the new and improved Obsidian forums!  We hope you all enjoy the new style and features that were added to this update.  Should you happen to run into any issues, please let us know on this thread so we can get to fixing them.

Thank you for your patience during the downtime and continue being incredible to each other!

💖

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Gasp! 1

Really liking this update! Thanks for all the hard work. :grin: 

(As an aside idea... It would be nice to ge emotes that relate to the Obsidian games and franchises, I think most in the forum would really enjoy their inclusion. I do appreciate the expanded array of classic emojis to use though.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

As always, new things are worse than old.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• SChin pinned this topic

our dyslexia has us reading the title o' the thread as:

Forum Comments and Issues Suppository

were initial intrigued where schin were going with that.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"That information doesn't match our records" - I'd changed my password a month or two ago, this update didn't remember it.  Confused me for a bit. Old password worked, then reset password again.

The "whoops" something is wrong .gif, "sign in" and "create account" etc. pages has no link back to the Obsidian main forum page (can only use back button or bookmark), don't know if this is intentional. Normally I'd never notice but since I kept getting rejected login attempts for a while... :shifty:

The emoticons list/style/function make me think of Discord/Twitch.  On older PC's that ginormous emoticon list is a bit laggy to load.

It looks ok, but kinda makes me think "app" in some places and feels clunky (just like Discord/Twitch).  I'll probably get used to it (again).  😽

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

There is a lot going on. Hey look, a reputation counter!

for many years (possibly seven?) the obsidian boards had no like feature.  sometime during one o' our multi year hiatuses, obsidian added likes and we responded with an amused half-smile and a dismissive shoulder shrug. fast forward and am having same reaction to new like features.  am clear not the target.

but Gromnir is easy.  amentep, and a couple others, will recall the mess which were the old interplay boards which became hopelessly cross threaded from time-to-time.  as long as the board software is at least minimal intuitive and allows us to post predictable to posts, then am satisfied. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps while checking out our profile page, we did notice how our "about me" were truncated.  am suspecting whatever were the old word count limit has been reduced as our profile ends not only mid sentence but midword. is not a bug, and is not a complaint by us neither.  regardless, for those who indulged in a bit o' verbosity when penning their self descriptions, you may find you are less today than you were yesterday.

Edited by Gromnir
avoiding a double-post
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Probably should have made a before and after screenshot.

I find the background too dark and the text too white. Have a hard time with reading stuff.

Also first thing I did was disabling the signatures again, because with them I found it even harder to look at single posts.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, Marceror said:

The forum edit function is still too sensitive. Really, I've been asking about this for 5 years now!

Hi Marceror, what are you seeing exactly? The unfortunate thing is that there's not really much configuration available on the backend for post editing. :(

Does this mean topics no longer need to be locked and re-created after page 30, or is this just a facelift and the db is still the same?

Also, it would be nice to have a way to disable the autoformatting. I may not always want a blank line inserted when I press return.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

7 minutes ago, The Guildmaster said:

Hi Marceror, what are you seeing exactly? The unfortunate thing is that there's not really much configuration available on the backend for post editing. :(

Well it's all in this thread I started nearly 5 years ago (linked below). But since that apparently hasn't been noticed yet, I've been questioning why there isn't a short grace period to edit a thread before the thead is marked as edited. Nearly all other forums seem to give at least a couple of minutes, so that minor typos can be corrected. But here it's always been an immediate notification on the thread. Since the upgrade, now the thread is called out TWICE. Once at the top of the post, and a second time in the body of the post. This absolutely drives me up a wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

16 minutes ago, Marceror said:

Well it's all in this thread I started nearly 5 years ago (linked below). But since that apparently hasn't been noticed yet, I've been questioning why there isn't a short grace period to edit a thread before the thead is marked as edited. Nearly all other forums seem to give at least a couple of minutes, so that minor typos can be corrected. But here it's always been an immediate notification on the thread. Since the upgrade, now the thread is called out TWICE. Once at the top of the post, and a second time in the body of the post. This absolutely drives me up a wall.

Sorry Marceror, I just didn't realize that was your thread. :) Fionavar and I had discussed the edit grace period several times across various patches over the years and they've just not added anything that makes this less frustrating, at least with respect to having a grace period... I definitely know what you're referring to.

I'm looking around though to see if there's a mod or something but so far I haven't found anything.

I say keep the edit function as it is if for no other reason than to see how long Marceror's resolve can hold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah...the auto-formatting reminds me a bit of recent WordPress (and their Themes).  Auto-spacing issues drive me batty on a blog to the point I'm constantly trying to figure ways around it, but on a forum doesn't bother me too much.  Yet.

Also, while I'm not actually big on the whole Like/Rep stuff (according to my profile I've given one out 8 times since 2013), I petition that this should be a Reaction 🙀

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

17 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Hit Shift-return instead.

Useful.
Have you figured out how to copy and paste a quote from the reply box into a post you want to edit by adding the quote there? I saw the cntrl options but that doesn't do it. Edit: by that I mean, keeping the quote-by formatting, not just the text words.

Edited by LadyCrimson

11 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Useful.
Have you figured out how to copy and paste a quote from the reply box into a post you want to edit by adding the quote there? I saw the cntrl options but that doesn't do it. Edit: by that I mean, keeping the quote-by formatting, not just the text words.

You can copy a quote block that's inside the editor box by using the right-click menu of the quote block header, that is, the bit that says "X minutes ago, Y said:"

If the quote is the only thing in the textbox, good ol' Ctrl-A Ctrl-C works too.

EDIT:

X1sv9ej.png

Edited by Humanoid
  • Thanks 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I swear I r-clicked all over the place and didn't see that pop up. Bah. I'm blind or something. Thanks, Humanoid.

And - added/altered Reactions - that was fast!  :biggrin:👍

• Like 1

Looks very good so far, I will spend some time around functionality and see if I experience any issues 😎

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Obsidian button function now includes moderator posts, as well. It didn't before.

I might also take this opportunity to ask about how the Obsidian button works. It still goes to the first official Obsidian post in the thread. You guys might not remember, but back when the forums were started the function pulled all the Obsidian posts in a thread, for ease of reading those posts. Any change of getting that back, now that we have new software?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: