Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

Looks spiffy. Upgrade seems to have gone smoothly as well, nice job!

So on to the remarks:

• Another vote to get BBCode mode back
    EDIT: editing images is practically impossible in the new UI, something as simple as modifying the URL turned into an ordeal that almost made debugging multi-threaded code seem like fun, comparatively.
  • Any way to get the "Content I Follow" in a more convenient location? This 2 level AJAX menu is kind of...annoying for regular use.
    Eg. back under the "My activity" in the Profile menu would be nice (and back to where it used to be before the upgrade), but just putting in the menu bar would be nice too.
    EDIT: looks like it might still be under "Profile" just that threads from before the upgrade didn't carry over?
Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

Well... I'll have to say it looks more bloated now. More and more web sites seem to be adopting this style, adding more padding and decreasing the information content per unit area. I can't really say it's an improvement; I prefer denser content.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

17 minutes ago, Phenomenum said:

Hmm... How to change this new 'cover' picture? I don't see any button to click on... Is this an exlusive feature for @SChin? 🤔

Go to your profile.  You should see an option to click "Cover Photo".  From there it should allow you to upload an image.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Overall, I'm very happy about the changes to the forums. Thx for all your hard work!

I've tried them on two different computers, and on this one, where I use Chrome, it all looks swell, but when I use Windows Explorer, the forum UI doesn't entirely fit, so there's some bad clipping going on.

After having read a number of posts now, I'd love to read with just half of this new looooong line width. Is that at all possible under my settings?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
More feedback

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

Well... I'll have to say it looks more bloated now. More and more web sites seem to be adopting this style, adding more padding and decreasing the information content per unit area. I can't really say it's an improvement; I prefer denser content.

Yes, it is very bloated. The badges and likes and all the other stuff on the left side can just vanish. Nick, avatar and title are all I need.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, Amentep said:

Go to your profile.  You should see an option to click "Cover Photo".  From there it should allow you to upload an image.

It not so easy, my friend... There's no option. Should i blame Firefox?

ln4lmNs.png

Edited by Phenomenum

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Yes, it is very bloated. The badges and likes and all the other stuff on the left side can just vanish. Nick, avatar and title are all I need.

A tricky subject I guess since technically people explicitly paid for them so hiding them needs to be an optional feature rather than a global change. That said, it's one of the easier things to address since you can just block them with an adblocker.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

10 minutes ago, Phenomenum said:

There's no option. Should i blame Firefox?

I don't have it either. If I click on the image bar it expands taller/bigger, but there's only ever the change-avatar option.  Nothing in Edit Profile either.  Am on Firefox  also.
It's not a mod/admin only feature is it? :P

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@Phenomenum @LadyCrimson @Gfted1

Yeah, on other Invision boards, the cover photo is directly to the right of the Edit Profile button - the one in the light-coloured area. So it looks like it's not enabled for us plebs. (The Cover Photo is the beige image behind the button, so only something people see if they look at your profile)

cSHR0T6.png

If enabled it should looks something like this:

yv4YOk2.png

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

7 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, on other Invision boards, the cover photo is directly to the right of the Edit Profile button - the one in the light-coloured area. So it looks like it's not enabled for us plebs.

I suggest to raise the flag of rebellion 🚩

We want cover image! We want cover image!

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Hmmm 1

^ Maybe they just forgot to enable it after admin-testing. 🐈

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I like how, with SChin's cover photo, Pikachu is too short to be seen without clicking to expand the image. I can relate.

Since SChin mentioned in the post on the new boards " customize their profiles with cover photos" specifically, I'm thinking it might be a global setting.  From the announcement thread you can see the screen capture where the edit button is supposed to be (and where it apparently is for some mods).

0dM5syF.png

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Since SChin mentioned in the post on the new boards " customize their profiles with cover photos" specifically, I'm thinking it might be a global setting.  From the announcement thread you can see the screen capture where the edit button is supposed to be (and where it apparently is for some mods).

Honestly, i thought it's a browser related. Is someone with Crome, Edge can test it? Anyway, i love my FF, so it will be stupid to change browser becose of this feature. Even a nice one.

I'm using Firefox, so I think the guess humanoid made that it defaults to turned on for mod/admin may be true and it hasn't been turned on for other groups (yet?)

• Like 1

Btw, does anybody else find the new reaction emoticons a bit unsuited?

For me:

- 'thumbs-up' means "Like"

- 'heart' means "Love"

And for "Thank You" - just the text 'thank you' in a circle.

Atm I don't know how to appropriately react to some stuff.

xxx: Hey John! The hard drive has died.

yyy: erm... 'thumbs-up'? (thank you for acknowledgement?)

xxx: I've encountered a bug X that blocks me from progressing further. Don't do A and B, if you don't want to get into the same situation.

yyy: erm... 'thumbs-up' or 'love'? Do I like that he has to start over? Where is 'thank-you'?

Or you can like some post, but not 'love' that post.

P.S. Unrelated to above. Just a comparison of old vs new design: screenshots

P.P.S. And again: gief old bbcode-visual switch button back please! :)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

29 minutes ago, MaxQuest said:

P.S. Unrelated to above. Just a comparison of old vs new design: screenshots

BTW, anyone else noticed that awful gradient banding on thread's titles? Om my monitor (not the best, but not a cheap one) i see 4 sections of banding in the center. Very annoying, i say.
About Reaction emoticons: It will be fun if those emoticons were representing various Obsidian games charachters, depends on forum.
Something like this:

Spoiler

210-1535375918-232767861.png

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 1

Right, so after a day with the upgrade I have to come back to my point about the old "My activity" stream: it no longer appears to exist in this version, meaning I have to check all the threads I've replied to manually by just going through all the forums, which is rather inconvenient, to say the least.

The "Profile" lists all threads a user has replied to, much like the old "My activity" that also was under profile, unfortunately it does not tell you which ones have replies.

The activity streams just give you a stream (or flood, rather) of all the replies to threads you've subscribed to, if there's any large volume threads you've subscribed to that feature is just entirely useless.

If there is a way to just see subscribed threads and whether there are new replies or not, then please point me to it, if not then at least for me, that is a major loss of functionality.

Edited by marelooke

40 minutes ago, Phenomenum said:

About Reaction emoticons: It will be fun if those emoticons were representing various Obsidian games charachters, depends on forum.

* Aloth gives you a pained look. *

• Haha 2