Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

On 7/5/2019 at 1:32 PM, ShadySands said:

Global mods hoarding all the best pies for themselves

😇

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, marelooke said:

What's up with the forum suddenly requiring my birth date?

Yeah, it did that to me too a couple days ago.
I just put in a fake date and then in the profile settings, used the right side drop down to select "Not Telling" which makes the other two fields blank again.
I'm guessing maybe if one never set/even touched the bday setting in the first place, eventually there's a forced reminder to not leave it "blank."

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

13 hours ago, marelooke said:

What's up with the forum suddenly requiring my birth date?

It's probably not "suddenly", it's just that the previous forum software was old enough that it didn't really have any COPPA implementations.  

We've now been beamed into the far future of 2012 and forum software that tries to identify users under the age of 13 that may not legally be able to sign up.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 12:38 AM, Ethics Gradient said:

It's probably not "suddenly", it's just that the previous forum software was old enough that it didn't really have any COPPA implementations.  

We've now been beamed into the far future of 2012 and forum software that tries to identify users under the age of 13 that may not legally be able to sign up.

Well, the date of birth only suddenly got requested months after the forum upgrade, so I'm not sure the forum upgrade can be fingered as  the cause. MIght have been some legal dude from MS stumbling over the forums and noticing it so some setting got changed, or somesuch. I'm also not sure what personally identifiable information a forum would collect that would require COPPA compliance (the Google tracking stuff, maybe), but ianal (nor a US citizen, for that matter), so I'll just roll with it.

Suddenly asking for it with no explanation is annoying though and might be a GDPR violation (the no explanation part). Either way, if Obsidian needs my real date of birth it's probably in my backer profile, no need for the forum to have it.

Maybe Microsoft daddy wants to know the ages of the Obsidian community. If we skew too old then Pillars 3 will be a shallow live service looter shooter designed with a phone first approach. Maybe. Get that "whatever the name of that game that's filling Epic's mattress" money. 

DM7LijrUQAAZpXx.jpg:large

Then again, maybe not. I dunno.

Please don't BioWare Obsidian, Microsoft daddy.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

• Please remove the time restriction for edits!
  • Please extend the login time!
  • Please reintroduce BBCode mode!

Why is nothing done about it? No comment or answer either.

I can't edit the char build lists anymore. Others can't edit their sticky posts with tipps & tricks. It can't be too hard to do that stuff can it? What's the point of this thread then? Ks ks ks...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes!  Sorry for the absence everyone!

Sorry for the issues you've been having.  Our web programmer was working to get the login time fixed and has officially submitted and integrated the fix.  Anyone frequenting the forums or any of the other Obsidian sites shouldn't have to log in again so long as they return within 5 days of the last page they've visited.  Anyone coming back after a 5 day hiatus will have to log back in, but that should be way better than the 24 hour window that wasn't updating prior.

In regards to BBCode, unfortunately I don't believe Invision supports this feature anymore and are taking a WYSIWYG approach going forward.  As a person who admittedly doesn't know much about BBCode, it seems that it is considered a bit of an older technology that more and more places are supporting less.  I grabbed a forum thread from their site as I was looking into why this isn't an option for us anymore.  If interested you can find that here.

Lastly, edits.  It looks like the timer on that is set to 7 days which would likely be enough time for most posts, but you make a solid case for polls and lists.  The mods have been giving special editing capability to those that request it and have proven to be trustworthy of the capability (not trolls).  Because I have interacted with Boeroer and AndreaColumbo a lot in the past, they have been granted this ability.  Should someone be looking to make a list or a poll and need this ability in the future, feel free to reach out to me or a moderator about this and they will look into it for you.

I think that covers the major points of concern.  Sorry again for my absence.  If you notice myself or any mods not responding promptly, please feel free to DM me as the notifications for those don't get drowned out by the flood of notifications I get from forum thread posts.  Should these issues or any others remain, definitely let me know and I'll have it looked into as soon as possible :)

Thanks again for keeping us appraised of these issues and for your patience!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2019 at 7:46 PM, SChin said:

Anyone frequenting the forums or any of the other Obsidian sites shouldn't have to log in again so long as they return within 5 days of the last page they've visited.

🤷‍♂️ Looks like my login session is still expiring after ~5 days, even though I've been stopping by at least daily.  Anyone else having a similar issue?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

🤷‍♂️ Looks like my login session is still expiring after ~5 days, even though I've been stopping by at least daily.  Anyone else having a similar issue?

Hmm, that's odd.  My non-admin account seems to be updating the cookie when I visit the site a day later.  I'll have our web developer look into this again.

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Possibly and I just stopped noticing. The only glaring issues I'm still having are the same, editing and formatting posts.

If you really need more editing capability for some reason (Maintaining a list, polls, etc), let one of the moderators know and they will look into this for you.  Unfortunately the formatting or use of BBCode we can't do anything about for the reasons stated in my prior post, sorry :(

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Same for me. Still get logged out quickly - like if nothing was changed.

• Thanks 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks. 

I no longer need to edit  lists and stuff because I don't maintain my game giveaway list anymore but thanks all the same 👍

I do still have random formatting issues but I've just been trying to make my posts less jazzy

Edited by ShadySands

Welp.  Like clockwork.  Pretty much exactly five days since the last time I posted in the thready and I'm logged out once more.

I don't know if it is any different for 2FA, but normal user/pass logins need to be repeated every 5 days regardless of how frequently one visits the forums.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, Ethics Gradient said:

Welp.  Like clockwork.  Pretty much exactly five days since the last time I posted in the thready and I'm logged out once more.

I don't know if it is any different for 2FA, but normal user/pass logins need to be repeated every 5 days regardless of how frequently one visits the forums.

Thanks Ethics, I appreciate the report!  I'll check with the web programmer to see if he's making any progress on this.

Sorry for the trouble :(

On 8/5/2019 at 1:40 AM, ShadySands said:

Maybe Microsoft daddy wants to know the ages of the Obsidian community. If we skew too old then Pillars 3 will be a shallow live service looter shooter designed with a phone first approach. Maybe. Get that "whatever the name of that game that's filling Epic's mattress" money. 

DM7LijrUQAAZpXx.jpg:large

Then again, maybe not. I dunno.

Please don't BioWare Obsidian, Microsoft daddy.

I was also thinking the same that the next Obsidian game will be a looter shooter but my friend(who is a Sony Fanboy) told me that if Microsoft really wants to make a looter shooter then they bought Gear Box or ask 343 or Collation to make a looter shooter. They bought Obsidian because of what Obsidian is for not to make them what MS desire. 

Is he right or wrong I don't know but what ever he said makes seance. 

• Like 1

Still getting highlighted text on mobile but I can recreate the issue now that I've paid attention to it.

If I delete a paragraph or combine paragraphs then the lower text gets highlighted when delete the empty space enough so that the paragraphs above and below the deleted text are touching.Example, this was another paragraph that wasn't highlighted until I deleted the break in between

Hopefully that makes sense

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Still getting highlighted text on mobile but I can recreate the issue now that I've paid attention to it.

If I delete a paragraph or combine paragraphs then the lower text gets highlighted when delete the empty space enough so that the paragraphs above and below the deleted text are touching.Example, this was another paragraph that wasn't highlighted until I deleted the break in between

Hopefully that makes sense

Hey @ShadySands!

That is rad, I was able to reproduce exactly as you mentioned :)

Thanks for the heads-up on this!  I'll have our programmer take a look into getting a fix.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Something broke slightly on page 5 of the politics thread as something extends to the left, making the scrollbar on the bottom show up. The previous page of the same thread and other threads don't have the same issue and I don't normally have the scroll bar at the browser zoon I use. Also, nobody did anything unusual, so....