Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

I've had a few posts that seem to have broken something so that I can't edit or even quote them.  Usually, they have too much blank space and introduced horizontal scrolling (which isn't even needed) for me. I've reported the most recent of those posts because I didn't know what else to do with it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've noticed that I am visiting / reading the forum a lot less since the update. Can't get used to how posts are looking. The bright white is just hard to read for me. Especially longer posts and a couple posts under each other give me problems. Really don't have the motivation to read anything longer than two lines or so.

The not-bright-white text on the forum overview is much easier on my eyes.

Is it just me? Maybe it's the colors of my monitor... no idea.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So... this is the third time I'll mention this because it's superannoying and we got zilch reaction so far:

What about the limitation of editing (currently 8 days?). I can't edit some pinned posts/threads anymore. Example: Deadfire character build list. @MaxQuest can't edit the Deadfire Polishing Poll anymore... 

It can't be too hard to remove this limit, can it? It wasn't there before and nobody missed it I guess.

So please! Make it go away! Shooo shooo! 🐤

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If we're back on the topic of arbitrary time limits, it would really be spiffy if the login timeout was a little more than ~5 days.  

I'm not sure what is critically worth protecting in our Obsidian IDs, but if you're used to checking the forums on desktop and mobile (or perhaps with even more than 2 devices), you can almost guarantee that you're constantly logging back in.

If we can't get a "stay logged in" or a 90 day cookie, even logins lasting 30 or 14 days would be pretty awesome.

• Like 2

I would really like the option to edit posts indefinitely come back. The new functionality is something like 8 days only. 

There are some pinned posts that have tremendous community value, like the build lists. Being able to keep those updated not only supports the community’s ability to share builds more effectively, it also encourages continued interest and excitement for the game that can continue as long as we are able to post and edit that thread. 

Thanks! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Likewise, I would like the ability to edit posts indefinitely.

Never been a fan of arbitrary time limits, especially when it comes to editing my own words.

I also support @Ethics Gradient's request to extend the login timeout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So I guess the two most voiced demands are:

1. prolong login time/cookie expiration
  2. remove editing time limit

What do you think, @SChin? Would that be possible to do?

I personally would also love to see BBCode editing mode (raw mode) again. It's much better suited for heavily formatted stuff like the build list for example (which I can't edit anymore... ;)).

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 3 weeks later...

As Gfted1 commented:

Btw, the italics feature is barely perceptible to me.

I feel I haven't been reaching my desired levels of insufferability since the boards update, and clearly this is the cause. I can barely tell when someone wants to emphasize something (but not too much)!

In addition, I'm not sure if/how importing quotes from other threads is supposed to work anymore. Used to be that the format went:

[quote name='user' date='date' post='post#']text[/quote]

And that would be interpreted into the appropriate quote box with the corresponding link to the original post. Now it just creates a plain quote box without any info. So another vote for BBCode mode.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So can someone tell me again why it's impossible to change the post font color to something that is not almost white and eye cancer inducing? The forum index has non-white text and it is much easier to read. Also every other post background should have a slightly different color, to make it easier to tell them apart. I don't get why these design rules don't seem to apply anymore in modern forum themes. Is this now like forgotten and ancient design knowledge or something?

Guess we can be happy for not getting the Bethsoft forum theme treatment. Now that would have been an easy way to kill the community, heh.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 6/23/2019 at 3:56 PM, Lexx said:

So can someone tell me again why it's impossible to change the post font color to something that is not almost white and eye cancer inducing?

Well... Until it's fixed (if that happens), you can always install the Stylus addon, and paste this into a new style.

@-moz-document domain("forums.obsidian.net") {
blockquote, pre, p  {color:rgb(162, 167, 183);}
}

styled.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

Yeah but I would have to do that manually on every machine I'm using while the forum admin could change that in less than 5 minutes for everyone.

Actually... I don't think it would change; it's a local css. 

There is a way to host the file (on Dropbox/Google Drive, etc...), so that each device would pull the style from the same location; so any changes would be for all of them. ;)

Of course the better option would be officially supporting the color preference. 

Edited by Gizmo

Any chance of increasing the max login attempts by a few more or so? I think it was 3 or 4 and I was shut out, but it could've been 5 I wasn't paying super close attention.
For us old folks with memory issues who sometimes stay offline long enough for stuff to become "What? I'm sure that was it...no, wait, I'm sure this is it...". :P   ...   or maybe decrease the wait time to 5-10 min instead of 15?

I usually try at least a few times before I resort to looking up my passwords cheatsheets, partly from laziness and partly in an attempt to refute/deny my poor memory to myself. Sigh. Ha.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

How does one change the profile banner. I can't figure it out.

Last I knew, you can't. The feature isn't enabled for us plebs (non-mods/admins).

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The option when it is activated is called a "Cover Photo".  If it is/were activated for you, you'll see it right next to the "EDIT PROFILE" button on your user profile (you can click on yourself in the upper right corner to get to your profile).

image.thumb.png.547b4746b62fedbd8e5dec7540c1f2e7.png

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

The option when it is activated is called a "Cover Photo".  If it is/were activated for you, you'll see it right next to the "EDIT PROFILE" button on your user profile (you can click on yourself in the upper right corner to get to your profile).

Ok, now you’re just showing off!  😛

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Is that someone else's profile you're browsing or your own? I may or may not be interested in following myself, but the option just isn't there.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Hmmm 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's not my profile.  Mine already has a cover photo on it due to suparpowars. 😨

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man