What do you think if we could fix a few bugs ourselves, test them, and offer Obsidian the solution; or as a backup plan make a mod (compliant with IEMod's Patchwork)?

NwoeV6k.png

Obviously stuff like stuttering or shaking popups is out of our reach, but a few in-code changes probably could be done.

I have in mind the following list:

Bugs:

1. DoT damage is not being registered in party member stats

2. DoTs do not benefit from elemental talents

3. DoTs do not benefit from slaying talents (like Beast Slayer, Ghost Hunter, etc)

4. Charm occasionally ending prematurely

5. Powder Burns is hitting allies standing in FoE (yellow) zone. (screenshot)

6. Charmed enemies quickly regenerate a portion (10-25%) of hp/endurance when switching alliance

Balance suggestions:

1. Make Deep Wounds stack

2. Duration of "fixed" DoTs (Wounding Shot, Wounding, Enduring Flames) should no longer be affected by INT (since their total damage is not affected by INT neither).

At the moment, I know how to fix the first bug, and partially the second. What do you think of p3, and of the whole idea?

EDIT: UPMod.1.01.306 is ready. Go to this post for download and installation notes.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 7

I like it - I mean sending OBS the fixes if they agree. Aarik D should be the go-to guy. :)

Please also fix Take the Hit (mind controlled enemies will transfer 50% of their received damage to the fighter (1) - even if mind control ended this will not stop (2)). It could be discussed if Take the Hit should work on mind controlled enemies at all (1). But (2) is just stupid and has to go. 

Funnily enough I quite like the wounding (Runner's Wounding Shot/Enduring Flames) mechanic. It's weird but I like it that you can build a 1 INT who is somehow viable. ;)

It's just stupid that higher INT redices the damage of Enduring Flames because of DR.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Regarding Take the Hit: I am not sure if I can fix the (1). At least not now, as [charmed enemies keeping our auras forever (on charm/dominate end)] is a global thing, and it's better to approach it once I get a better understanding of the PoE code. But the (2) can be easily done. Have tried it and it works: screenshot (the blight is no longer affected by Take the Hit after the patch)

I have done it by modding StatusEffect.ApplyEffect(); specifically catching the TransferDamageToCaster stat.

Technically it would make sense to mod StatusEffect.ApplyEffectHelper(); because it was designed to make such checks; but no way I am going to make changes to a 1400 lines long function.

// EDIT START:
StatusEffect.ModifiedStat affectsStat = this.Params.AffectsStat;

if (affectsStat == StatusEffect.ModifiedStat.TransferDamageToCaster && target != null)
{
    global::Console.AddMessage("mod_StatusEffect TransferDamageToCaster detected", Color.green); // TODO: remove log messages

GameObject animalCompanionMaster = GameUtilities.FindMaster(target);

bool isPartyMember = PartyHelper.IsPartyMember(target);
    bool isPartyAnimal = animalCompanionMaster != null && PartyHelper.IsPartyMember(animalCompanionMaster);

if (!isPartyMember && !isPartyAnimal)
    {
        global::Console.AddMessage("mod_StatusEffect prevented landing on: " + target.name.ToString(), Color.red);
        return false; // do not apply TransferDamageToCaster (like TakeTheHit) to non party members
    }
    else
    {
        global::Console.AddMessage("mod_StatusEffect allowed landing on: " + target.name.ToString(), Color.green);
    }
}
// EDIT END

Btw are there any similar abilities to Take the Hit? Because I am checking for affected TransferDamageToCaster stat, instead of the ability name (which theoretically can change, and thus unreliable).

Funnily enough I quite like the wounding (Runner's Wounding Shot/Enduring Flames) mechanic. It's weird but I like it that you can build a 1 INT who is somehow viable.

I understand what you mean :)

It's just stupid that higher INT redices the damage of Enduring Flames because of DR.

Absolutely. Plus I've felt that Goldpact paladins need some love for awhile already. Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Hehe)

Regarding global messages: yes, it seems so. It's done either directly via global::Console or via wrappers (like PostAttackMessages for attacks).

P.S. A question regarding [charm ending prematurely]. Currently it ends if the charmed enemy has no current target. And there are two ways to fix it:

1. make a search for targets nearby. (and if any are found do not allow the charm to break before it's duration expires)

2. just make charm always last for the stated duration. (as simple as that)

I am thinking of trying the 2nd approach, as I don't currently see any benefit in the first one. Do you?

Encounter ends when there are no alive enemies in range.

If I choose 2), then charming will still be active if the charmed enemy is the last enemy left.

Also if there is only one enemy (uncharmed), you will be able to charm him for full duration, without the effect breaking immediately.

Atm code attempts to do the following: if a character has swapped team and has no target and is not under effect of confusion, clear the effect. Now I could simply add the [not under effect of charm or dominate]. And this would be the 2) solution.

I have tried it and it works. Combat does not reset, and everything is fine. This does solve:

- this bug (plus should cover these reports as well: report 1, report 2)

- and the problem I had with Alpine Dragon minions (i.e. charming duration was very unreliable)

Because interrupting a charmed enemy could make it have no target for a brief moment, and if StatusEffect.UpdateHelper would fire before a new TargetPreference check was made, the charm was getting removed.

But I think I understood why this charm/dominate clear mechanism was implemented in the first place. Main reason is: if you solo, and enemy mob has a few charmers, technically they could charm you over and over again. (but that's not a problem because I can keep the charm auto-removal for party members only). Second reason is minor, but more related to balance. Charmed enemies can be auto-attacked and affected by targeted spells. So if a solo cipher remains 1x1 with one enemy, he will guaranteedly kill it, because it won't fight back. (on the other hand prone/stunned/paralyzed targets can't fight back neither)

Edited by MaxQuest

For Wounding Shot the DoT duration is linked to the hobbled duration which should be affected by INT...

Hmm, makes sense.

As for Enduring Flames, no, it's duration is still affected by INT.

sbpIuMG.png

Regarding [premature charm ending]: have tried 1), i.e. solution proposed by Loren Tyr here. It works fine, especially if instead creature's perception range (which can be small), use a min(perception_range, 12). I will probably end up with a compromise:

if (charmed_character has no target)

{

if (no enemies in range) // at least 12 yards range

{

if (is partymember)

clear charm

if (is not partymember and charm has lasted at least 4s) // or 6s? partially related note: dragons regenerate 25% of hp everytime they are charmed

clear charm

}

}

Edited by MaxQuest

Hehe, I wanted to see how good is Dragon Trashed chant 'in the wild' for awhile now (i.e. track it's damage). Aaand it's gonna happen :)

Have build a pw.dll for the IEMod's patchwork. You can download it here:

- v1.00.306. (30/06/2017)

- v1.01.306(09/07/2017)

- v1.01.370. (02/12/2017) - same as v1.01.306 but with fixed UIVersionNumber since it was changed in Definitive Edition which migrated to Semantic Versioning. (that's also the reason why it's 370 and not 307)

Note 1: these are standalone mods, so just grab only one, Usually you'd want the latest one.

Note 2: .306 means that it was personally tested with PoE1 v3.06

Note 3: .370 means that it was personally tested with PoE1 v3.7.0

What it does:

v1.00:

1. Fixed inflicted DoT damage not being tracked/registered in "Total Damage Done".

2. Fixed an issue with DoTs not benefiting from Elemental talents (Scion of Flame, Heart of the Storm, Secrets of Rime, Spirit of Decay).

3. Fixed an issue with DoTs not benefiting from Race Slayer talents (Beast Slayer, Primal Bane, Ghost Hunter, Sanctifier, Wilder Hunter).

4. Fighter's ability Take the Hit will no longer protect non party characters (there was a problem where it would affect charmed enemies).

5. Fixed an issue where charm and dominate effects could unexpectedly break if affected character had no target despite enemies being in range.

5.b. Last enemy will no longer break charm and dominate effects immediately. These effects will last at least 5s, and player will be notified with "<Creature> has broken free!" message.

v1.01: (includes v1.00 changes plus the following)

6. Consume potions duration reduced from 2.33s to 1s

7. Going invisible (Shadowing Beyond, Withdraw) will no longer end combat if there are enemies in range (12 range, 3s linger).

How to install:

V1. If you have ever used IEMod:

- download the zipped UPMod.pw.dll (linked above)

- drop the dll into /IEMod/mods/ folder

- remove the Assembly-CSharp.dll.pw.modified from PoE <Installation folder>/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed/ (it will be regenerated)

- just-in-case make a backup copy of Assembly-CSharp.dll (e.g. ctrl-c->ctrl-v, and rename the copy to something like Assembly-CSharp.Original.3.06.dll)

- launch the PatchworkLauncher.exe located in /IEMod/ folder

- indicate the PoE install folder if prompted

- click on "Active Mods" and add/tick UPMod (example)

- click on "Test Run" and check the log for errors (there should be none)

- click on "Launch with Mods" and voila, you should see this (in the bottom-left corner of main screen):

i7CWTt6.png OR:

oIyCWvn.png

note: UPMod does not conflict with IEMod, i.e. if you want you can check both. But only the bottom mod will edit the version string.

V2. If you have not used IEMod.

- download it anyway (link)

- unzip anywhere you want

- follow V1

P.S. I have tested it and it's completely stable for me. If you try it, please report how it goes for you ;)

P.P.S. Project source code: zip

P.P.P.S. Cross link to related post in Technical Support: link

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 10

I tried fixing a few things in my own game but doing any fixes through the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor is a real drag. It takes a lot of experimentation before you have any idea what you're doing.

Some of the fixes/changes I'd like to see are:

– Lashes cannot be completely disregarded by DR (debatable)

– Monk fist accuracy bonus applies to Monk abilities

– Intellect applies to summon durations

– Wounding damage lash duration not affected by Int (as suggested by you)

– Make all potions instant use with a longer recovery time and remove the buggy drinking animation (same for Athletics)

I'm sure I could probably think of a few more. It's probably too much to ask to get the elemental abilities to apply to DoTs.

I'm just jotting these down for now, maybe there are some things in here worth changing – just from having a look at the talent/ability list:

– Find some way to easily convey the (a) offensive stacking and (b) defensive stacking rules to player in game

– Find some way to better convey DoT damage to player in game

– Improved description of how +DR enchantments work with existing DR on armours

– Improve description for coordinating

– Improve description for speed enchant

– Improve description for wounding enchant

– Improved description on apprentice sneak (should read "physical" melee/ranged damage)

– Change all instances of "X% Attack Speed" to "X% Reduced Recovery Time"

– Improved description of runner's wounding shot

– Improved description of Veteran's recovery

– Improved description of the Marksman ability

– Improved Weapon recovery tool tips (e.g. slow, extremely slow)

– Improved description on what abilities the Racial Killer talents apply to, including whether they affect AoE attacks

– Improved description of how blood slaughter works

– Consistency between different modals (e.g. either they all work together or none work together – anything is better than the hodge podge atm)

– Improved description of elemental talents

– Consistency and/or explanation of added damage bonuses (e.g. flanking, bonus spell damage) works for spells

– Improved description/explanation of how the draining effect works on weapons

– Buff to "Greater Frenzy"

– Improved description of the "carnage ability" (e.g. an explanation of how the accuracy bonus works)

– Improved description of how scaling works for beloved spirits and ancient memory

– Improved description of how brisk recitation works 

– If intellect change for summons is not made, updated description for summons when intellect does not affect summon durations

– Change all class talents that modify class abilities to passive bonuses so they are consistent

– Change all instances of +% damage to +% base damage

– Improved descriptions for how lashes work

– Improved description for constant recovery (Duration, Scaling)

– Make Veterans recovery = constant recovery in strength (debatable)

– Improve description of confident aim

– Improve description for wary defender

– Improve description for cloak of tireless defender

– Change transcendant suffering talent so it functions like novice suffering: one ability with upgrade progression clear to player

– Improve description of turning wheel

– Improve description of long pain (scaling)

– Improve description of dichotomous soul

– Change Mortification of the Soul to per encounter and something like 5 wounds (universally useless ability), perhaps scaling

– Improve description for lightning strikes

– Improve description for Resonant Touch

– Improve description for Rooting Pain

– Fix Blood testament gloves?

– Mark Inspiring Triumph as passive bonus that stacks with everything

– Improve description of Aegis of Loyalty

– Improve description of how coordinated attacks/marking weapons work

– Fix aura radius enhancing items so that they work on total radius? (e.g. chanter voice of mountaintop)

– Improve description of +5 defence effect on little saviour and outworn buckler

– Improve description of aggrandizing radiance

– Improve description of inspiring radiance (make clear passive)

– Fix Empowered Interdiction so it applies to both effects 

– Improve description of Devotions for the Faithful

– Mark Arcane Veil/Hardened Veil as passive, explaining it will stack with other sources

– Improve description of Blast, Penetrating Blast and Dangerous implements talents (What do they actually apply to?)

– Improve description of how combusting wounds works 

– Improve description of Concelhaut'scorrosive siphon

– Does Arcane Dampener still kill immunities? :thinkingface:

– Improve description of Concelhaut's draining touch

– Improve description of deleterious alacrity of motion

– Improve description of Kalakoth's Minor Blights

– Improve description of Iron Skin

– Improve description of Mirrored Image

– Improve description of draining wall

– Improve description of Concelhaut's crushing doom

– Improve description of Heart of Fury ("Every equipped weapon ...")

• Like 1

Thank you MaxQuest! Keep up the good work. One question - if any new version of your patch will appear, can i switch from old versions in the middle of game? All changes will be retroactive or should be better wait for final version to start another run?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like to see (Runner's) Wounding Shot and Marked Prey damage to be calculated based on damage dealt before DR is applied because right now these abilities are almost useless with bows vs high DR enemies.

Another big one is about combat ending when you're solo and you become invisible (or under withdraw)...

Maybe something can be done also about multiple lashes of the same type to be considered a single lash. For example a paladin with a weapon with burning lash using Flames of Devotion with Enduring Flames and being under Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr will do 125% burning damage but the DR/4 reduction will be applied 4 times...

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

Personally I'd like to see (Runner's) Wounding Shot and Marked Prey damage to be calculated based on damage dealt before DR is applied because right now these abilities are almost useless with bows vs high DR enemies.

Another big one is about combat ending when you're solo and you become invisible (or under withdraw)...

Maybe something can be done also about multiple lashes of the same type to be considered a single lash. For example a paladin with a weapon with burning lash using Flames of Devotion with Enduring Flames and being under Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr will do 125% burning damage but the DR/4 reduction will be applied 4 times...

You mean Intense Flames I guess, but yes: that is a very good proposal. Same with Druid + Wildstrike or Monk with Turning Wheel + weapon + burning lash (or Lightning Strikes + weapon's shocking lash) and so on. Why should they be calculated seperately if they hit the same spot?

The other two are also good suggestions. And I guess they are quite easy to fix...?

Edited by Boeroer

A bit off topic because it's about modding, I was wondering for some time how hard would be to unlock more enchanting recipes for armors/weapons... It would be really cool to have an option in IEMod which would unlock at least some unique enchantments (if not all of them) - it would take a lot of work however because you have to create a recipe for each enchantment...

Oh, that's quite a list Livegood118 :)

While majority of points are related to description improvement (and can be done via editing PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\game\abilities.stringtable) there are a few tricky ones.

Thank you MaxQuest! Keep up the good work. One question - if any new version of your patch will appear, can i switch from old versions in the middle of game? All changes will be retroactive or should be better wait for final version to start another run?

Currently implemented fixes plus those proposed by Livegood118 do not affect state of the game or any quest progression. So it's safe to apply and disapply UPMod wherever you want)

A bit off topic because it's about modding, I was wondering for some time how hard would be to unlock more enchanting recipes for armors/weapons... It would be really cool to have an option in IEMod which would unlock at least some unique enchantments (if not all of them) - it would take a lot of work however because you have to create a recipe for each enchantment...

Tbh I have no idea how enchanting is implemented yet.

But since there is Cladhaliath ingame, and we could choose how to enchant it, I would expect that at least those recipes are already, uhm, 'created'. Maybe they are just set as hidden for the default enchanting...

Should combat:

- just be kept?

- kept, but end if enemies walk away far enough? e.g: {12, perception_range, 20, ?}.

- or it doesn't matter? (because until finding where/how it is implemented, I don't know if this can be done at all)

Maybe something can be done also about multiple lashes of the same type to be considered a single lash. For example a paladin with a weapon with burning lash using Flames of Devotion with Enduring Flames and being under Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr will do 125% burning damage but the DR/4 reduction will be applied 4 times...

Hmm, I am not sure if it is fair, combining them completely.

When a paladin makes a FoD attack with [intense Flames], [Fire lash] and [Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr] I would expect:

- 100% weapon dmg vs respective DR, plus

- 25% fire dmg (from aefyllath) vs burning DR/4, plus

- 25% fire dmg (from fire lash) vs burning DR/4, plus

- 75% fire dmg (from FoD + Intense Flames) vs burning DR/4

I.e. combining lashes from same source only:

- FoD with Intense Flames

- Fire lash with built-in burning bonus damage, like [10% Damage as Burn] on Starcaller and Unforgiven flails.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Hi again MaxQuest, sorry I didn't mean to drop that big load of things on you and there is no way I'd expect you to fix them all! I just thought I'd look through the talents/abilities and see what jumped out at me and maybe hopefully draw some things to peoples' attention.

I'm more than happy to put the time in myself to fix the descriptions of various abilities – it's one of the few things that I can actually do to contribute to this project as I'm not much of a computer person.

Perhaps we could put together a spreadsheet for that purpose? 

Edit: Also I just had a look through "PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\game\abilities.stringtable" and it seems like a lot of the ability descriptions are drawing their text from somewhere else i.e. a lot of them say "DefaultText". Maybe they're storing it in the prefabs?

Edited by Livegood118

No problem. Maybe we'll manage to fix something from that list.

Edit: Also I just had a look through "PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\game\abilities.stringtable" and it seems like a lot of the ability descriptions are drawing their text from somewhere else i.e. a lot of them say "DefaultText". Maybe they're storing it in the prefabs?

You mean the [<DefaultText>some localized text</DefaultText>] text?

It means that unless specific conditions are met, this (DefaultText) will be used.

As far as I see there is only one specific condition used, i.e. if character is female and <FemaleText/> is not empty, <FemaleText/> will be used instead of <DefaultText/>

Displayed text is not (should not be) stored in prefabs, because it has to be localized.

But there is one thing that puzzles me. I have edited the descriptions of Whispers of Treason and Time Parasite:

<Entry>

<ID>568</ID>

<DefaultText>Imparts a bedeviling FOOBAR secret to an enemy that causes its allegiance to bend, Charming them for the duration.</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>1462</ID>

<DefaultText>By siphoning power from enemies' souls, the cipher is able to slow them down and increase his or her own speed FOOBAR.</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

But ingame I see that only the first one was modified.

P.S. As for spreadsheet, you meant something like this?

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Tbh I have no idea how enchanting is implemented yet.

But since there is Cladhaliath ingame, and we could choose how to enchant it, I would expect that at least those recipes are already, uhm, 'created'. Maybe they are just set as hidden for the default enchanting...

Cladhaliath is enchanted through a script, not recipes. By recipe I mean the ingredients needed for each enchantment - those probably don't exist and should be created if we want to use the crafting interface. I wonder if there's some sort of table with every enchantment in the game (their enchanting cost exists) and if it's possible to activate them and make them appear in the crafting menu.

Should combat:

- just be kept?

- kept, but end if enemies walk away far enough? e.g: {12, perception_range, 20, ?}.

- or it doesn't matter? (because until finding where/how it is implemented, I don't know if this can be done at all)

I think the combat should not end as long as you're in their aggro range (12?). That way you can use invisibility to escape by walking away or offensively (to backstab,etc). Also withdraw could be used to escape enemies while solo (enemies walk away from you and combat ends once they're out of aggro range).

Maybe something can be done also about multiple lashes of the same type to be considered a single lash. For example a paladin with a weapon with burning lash using Flames of Devotion with Enduring Flames and being under Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr will do 125% burning damage but the DR/4 reduction will be applied 4 times...

Hmm, I am not sure if it is fair, combining them completely.

When a paladin makes a FoD attack with [intense Flames], [Fire lash] and [Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr] I would expect:

- 100% weapon dmg vs respective DR, plus

- 25% fire dmg (from aefyllath) vs burning DR/4, plus

- 25% fire dmg (from fire lash) vs burning DR/4, plus

- 75% fire dmg (from FoD + Intense Flames) vs burning DR/4

I.e. combining lashes from same source only:

- FoD with Intense Flames

- Fire lash with built-in burning bonus damage, like [10% Damage as Burn] on Starcaller and Unforgiven flails.

Don't forget lashes aren't affected by DR penetration, they have no MIN damage and the rare situations when you can stack more than two you have a limited number of uses. But of course FoD+Intense Flames is obvious, Unforgiven/Starcaller also.

What about the ranger's abilities?

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

Don't forget lashes aren't affected by DR penetration, they have no MIN damage and the rare situations when you can stack more than two you have a limited number of uses.

I agree with Kaylon. Most of the time 10% lashes (like on torches, Starcaller, Justice and so on) will do zero damage because they are eaten up by even low DR. This is especially bad with weapons which are fast but have low base damage. Those tiny lashes sometimes manage to get through if you're a rogue or somebody else with very high dmg mods and/or high crit damage mods (which are dmg mods as well ;)).

There's a reason why they buffed the monk's Lightning Strikes from 15% to 25%: they didn't do any damage at all. :)

If you can stack some lashes those smaller lashes make some sense at least.

Edited by Boeroer