Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are you playing right now?

confessions of a gamer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
708 replies to this topic

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3248 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

LOTRO on the new legendary server. I've gotten my runekeeper to 18 and my burg to 10 and teamed up quite a bit to do it.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

One additional issue I have with combat is my companion doesn't seem to a]start attacking the enemy until I actually strike him, even if the enemy is charging right at me, and b]even the companions who have good long-range weapons seem to want to engage in melee combat.  Caja will shoot fireballs once in a while, but seems to engage in sword play more often than not.

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3248 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My RK died one level before 20 so now I gotta restart and try to get undying all over again

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5873 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Is permadeath a function of the legendary server, or that's how LOTRO rolls anyway?

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9061 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Undying is just a title that you get for making it to 20 without dying. Titles are important, because they look cool.

I think my Captain is Gauradan-Slayer still, because I really enjoyed killing those guys.

• Gfted1 and ShadySands like this

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Playing Warframe's Fortuna update which is finally out.

And boy, is the intro song still epic.

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3248 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No permadeath, just want the title for making all the way to level 20 without dying

It's harder than the regular server because experience is reduced by 40% and the lower level mobs are stacking some pretty nasty bleeds. It leads to a lot more grouping which I like but there's not always people right around you because even though there are tons of people LOTRO maps can be pretty large.

• Gfted1 likes this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

More Elex.  I think I've exhausted the quests I can accomplish at my current level, so I might as well join a faction.  I'm thinking the Clerics mainly because I like their weapons and their armor looks the best.  The latter is obviously nothing to do with power and everything to do with wanting to walk around in cool looking armor.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7395 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

Since I got Roundabout free on PS Plus, I decided to give it a try.  The gameplay is, alright, I guess.  I'm in it for the FMV scenes, which, so far, are just as cheesy as I was hoping they would be.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10970 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
So, apparently the thing I was missing in all my previous playthroughs was +4 weapons and Pierce Shield. That and treating Jaheira like a fighter instead of a Druid.

Irenicus didn't even bring any of my characters down to yellow before I murdered him and the monsters he summoned.

Pierce Shield doesn't seem to work like the wiki says it does. The wiki says it removes spell protections and lists several of them. But when I use it, it always gets rid of fireshield.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5316 posts

Pierce Shield shouldn't be doing that. Fire Shield is a combat protection, while (default) Pierce Shield only removes spell protections and Magic Resistance. Mods?

Jaheira is indeed a good frontliner, provided that you can find a decent weapon to give her, which is not trivial.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10970 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
Only mods I'm using are unfinished business and ascension. I know it's not supposed to, that's why it's so weird. I thought Pierce Shield was getting rid of the protection against magic weapons, but it looks like my remove magic is taking care of that (to my surprise). Pierce Shield should only remove one thing and I could see fire shield disappearing in two separate instances as it hit.

I could be imagining things, so I'll have to double check. Of course that means I'll be holding back. When I fought Illasaera I just time stopped, alacritied, and then emptied my spellbook of dragons breaths and wiltings. I actually felt sad for her. I'll have to not do that to Gromnir.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Jaheira is indeed a good frontliner, provided that you can find a decent weapon to give her, which is not trivial.

It's been a long while since I've played Baldur's Gate 2 and unless the Enhanced Edition really shuffled things around one can get Black Blood and Belm from Trademeet and the Druid Grove respectively, both available early on - and Spectral Brand in Watcher's Keep which available - if a bit hard at that point - just after leaving Chateau Irenicus.

Sure she'll never reach the effectiveness of a custom built Fighter/Mage (well, what is) but there are some really nice druid spells to complement the fighting. Not to mention that Nature's Beauty is ridiculous. It won't kill hard enemies but permanent blindness with no save makes for hilarious boss fights. The only downside is the really long casting time and short range, but with Iron Skin and some heavy equipment a Fighter/Druid stands the best chances of pulling it off.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5316 posts

Only mods I'm using are unfinished business and ascension. I know it's not supposed to, that's why it's so weird. I thought Pierce Shield was getting rid of the protection against magic weapons, but it looks like my remove magic is taking care of that (to my surprise). Pierce Shield should only remove one thing and I could see fire shield disappearing in two separate instances as it hit.

In the Enhanced Editions they fixed Dispel/Remove Magic to work as advertised. So instead of *never* working against targets which are higher level than you, it's effective 5% of the time against Irenicus who is level 30. Guess you rolled a 20 on that.

The Pierce Shield thing is really weird. Normally, it's a somewhat pointless spell, because it's only marginally better than Ruby Ray, but Spellstrike is in a whole other league. If you have no mods running that could affect it, perhaps Beamdog have changed the spell to make it worthy of a 8th level slot. After looking through the files, NPC Fire Shield is classed as a specific protection rather than combat protection. Still, Pierce Shield shouldn't affect those.

The thing is, what you're describing is closer to the behavior from Spell Revisions than vanilla:

Spoiler

It's been a long while since I've played Baldur's Gate 2 and unless the Enhanced Edition really shuffled things around one can get Black Blood and Belm from Trademeet and the Druid Grove respectively, both available early on - and Spectral Brand in Watcher's Keep which available - if a bit hard at that point - just after leaving Chateau Irenicus.

Sure she'll never reach the effectiveness of a custom built Fighter/Mage (well, what is) but there are some really nice druid spells to complement the fighting. Not to mention that Nature's Beauty is ridiculous. It won't kill hard enemies but permanent blindness with no save makes for hilarious boss fights. The only downside is the really long casting time and short range, but with Iron Skin and some heavy equipment a Fighter/Druid stands the best chances of pulling it off.

Yeah, she's no Sarevok, but she's more durable than pure fighter types by virtue of her heals and Iron Skins, Barkskin etc. and way more versatile. Same with Anomen, whom I actually prefer, because he can wield Crom Faeyr, Flail of the Ages and the Mace of Disruption. His DEX is a liability until you can find the proper gloves, however.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3093 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
A heart to heart review of Red Dead Redemption 2

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, she's no Sarevok, but she's more durable than pure fighter types by virtue of her heals and Iron Skins, Barkskin etc. and way more versatile. Same with Anomen, whom I actually prefer, because he can wield Crom Faeyr, Flail of the Ages and the Mace of Disruption. His DEX is a liability until you can find the proper gloves, however.

I'm not sure I'd craft Crom Faeyr for Anomen, he has easy access to Draw Upon Holy Might and later Righteous Magic, but slapping CF on him is certainly the low maintenance version.

For my preferred BG2 party setup and playstyle CF is a nice weapon but not one I end up using all that much. By far and large my PC ends up being a Fighter/Mage or Fighter/Thief with an extra attack off-hand and Foebane and a permanent strength score of 22 anyway and NPCs that can pick up Whirlwind Attack usually end up wielding something flashy with two hands.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

One other minor issue I have with Elex.  For some reason, it defaults to the "timed' grenades when I use hand grenades.  It's cost me valuable ammo AND health in battle because I'll toss a grenade or two only to realize it's not set to explode on impact.

One would think the default would be explode on impact, then having to R1 over to the timed option.  But no, instead for whatever reason the timed grenades are the default and I have to R1 over to the impact ones.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I can understand timed fuses being default- they are in real life after all where you have more... permanent consequences for dropping or otherwise prematurely contacting an armed contact grenade- but yeah, contact grenades are just so much more useful in almost all games.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

Just finished Larry Laffer new title in one sitting. About 6 hour game, not worth the full price.

It's not difficult as far as point and click games go, just tedious with constant back and forth between locations and threads.

Humor nothing to write home about, a few chuckles now and then.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7395 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

I finally have the stats that I can use the Redeemer plasma rifle.  Nothing and no one is safe now.  Time to cut a path of destruction across Magallan.

:fdevil:

Edit: Holy **** the Redeemer is great.  The damage is insane.  I'm dropping enemies like Molochs and Chimeras with the quickness.

Edited by Keyrock, 10 November 2018 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users