RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not even expecting anything like Fo1 or Fo2 anymore. And that's not really a problem. There's new games. New Vegas for example, is one of my all-time favs, ever. It's just such a good game all around, despite the plenty flaws.

Bethesda Fallouts, however, even if you remove all the names from the lore, still would be crappy games for me. Their so much praised world design is just a theme park, their lore is all over the place for *anything*, the gameplay loop usually is just boring, they use level scaling to remove any kind of troubles you might get while "exploring", I have yet to see an rpg game from them in the past 10+ years that doesn't have a complete bs story, and retarded, oversimplified dialog. Eh, I could go on some more, but what's the point? Their games sell, always, which means people love this kinda crap.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, to be honest, it's not like Fallout 1 and 2 weren't bland 50's postapocalyptic theme with Vaults.

No? A lot of work went into world building and researching influences for Fallout's theme.

I mean F2 already saw big changes in staff from F1 and it made all the difference in the world with the fairly radical shift in tone between the two games

Black Isle were not capable of making the exact same game Troika would have made, but they didn't **** all over the canon. It's not like F3 wasn't another radical shift in tone from both games.

No? A lot of work went into world building and researching influences for Fallout's theme.

A lot of work and thought went into Elder Scrolls world building, which doesn't mean it's not a fairly generic fantasy world at the end of the day. I'm sorry, but Fallout is very much a Mad Max with 50s coat of paint - which doesn't mean it's not carefully crafted, but it's certainly neither particularly original, nor is it what made the games what they are.

It's not like F3 wasn't another radical shift in tone from both games.

My point exactly. Edited by Fenixp

A lot of work and thought went into Elder Scrolls world building

What?

...Fallout is very much a Mad Max with 50s coat of paint...

That's not true. There's a lot of influence from 50's sci-fi that's not aesthetic. Also the biggest movie influence is not Mad Max, it's A Boy and His Dog. If you didn't care to look into the lore or immerse yourself in the world of the original Fallout games then you're not going to miss it when it's gone. Edited by AwesomeOcelot

What?

That. You don't know a whole lot about TES lore, do you?

it's A Boy and His Dog

Which in turn inspired Mad Max and so on and so forth. Of course there's going to be a whole lot of interesting touches and influences, any world that had a decent amount of thought put into it will. That proves neither its worth nor its originality - and claiming that Fallout's world was particularly original is misguided at least.

What made Fallout shine at the time, aside from surprisingly user friendly interface (... for the time) was its writing, its characters and the array of choices and consequences it offered to the player. "Futuristic wild-west wasteland" trope was neat, especially since it's not been done that often, but certainly only a small part of what made Fallout Fallout

If you didn't care to look into the lore or immerse yourself in the world of the original Fallout games then you're not going to miss it when it's gone.

I care to immerse myself in both generic fantasy tropes of Elder Scrolls and generic post-apo tropes of Fallout games as I very much adore both series, for at least good 20 years at this point. I won't claim they're something they're not tho. Edited by Fenixp

We should probably keep in mind that before Bethesda, Fallout wasn't exactly a hot property. Also Bethesda didn't make that Brotherhood of Steel game, which was far and away the worst of the franchise.

This man speaks the truth.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What?

That. You don't know a whole lot about TES lore, do you?

Well, that was ages ago. The folks working on it back in the days aren't at Bethsoft anymore since before Oblivion happened.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't get why anyone would root for a major RPG studio to fail. I didn't much care for the direction Fallout 4 went, but that sounds like a petty way to live life. Personally I'm just hoping Fallout 76 corrects some of the issues I had with 4.

I want the game to fail (for reasons I already outlined), not the studio (not sure what brought you to the conclusion that I wanted Bethesda bankrupt). I highly doubt that F76 failing would bancrupt Bethesda Game Studios, it would just send a strong signal that always online multiplayer is not the way to go for these games, which is exactly what I want.

There was a lot wrong with Fallout 4, but it's still a great platform for modders. Any online games will by necessity restrict what modders can do, something Bethesda (the publisher) would love to be able to get away with since that means they can sell more DLC. Currently the problem they face is that many of the "paid mods" on the creation club do something that a free mod already does better, so unless you bought F4 on a console (and are, as such, tied to the CC) there's very little reason to get anything from it.

Edited by marelooke

We should probably keep in mind that before Bethesda, Fallout wasn't exactly a hot property. 

Fair point. However I'd be perfectly happy if a smaller studio did a Fallout game with a fraction of the budget, that wasn't just another iteration of Oblivion with guns (now with multiplayer!).

Then again, inXile's Wasteland 2 didn't exactly grip me either, so...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

CDPR teams up with another developer for the development of Cyberpunk 2077. Digital Scapes is a noob dev made up of members from the past such as Bioware, Relic, Radical Entertainment.

Will have to keep an eye on CP2077. I know that CDPR already confirmed the release would be in 2019 when their publisher tweeted it (with the window) but this definitely isn't the best way to go about it.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

We should probably keep in mind that before Bethesda, Fallout wasn't exactly a hot property.

And it still isn't because the Bethesda games aren't Fallout. That doesn't matter, Fallout as a franchise was plenty successful enough as a CRPG series to continue as a profitable venture with teams that wanted to make a Fallout game.

" Also Bethesda didn't make that Brotherhood of Steel game, which was far and away the worst of the franchise."

Beth**** FOs are worst FOs. BOS was horribad but Bethsit Fos were worse. Because, BOS was what it was.. but Bethesda were pretending to make RPGs and they had that nice little number 3 and 4 tacked on. BOS, at least, had the courtesy and respect not to pretend to be a sequel. LMAO

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-raises-more-than-dollar1-million-in-four-days-following-alpha-33-release

Well, worst comes to pass, Roberts will have a lot of cash.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wtf. I get this game is like a white whale. Given it's a dream subject for game, and it's in a dead genre that publishers are too risk averse to touch. But the amount of support this game get's seems totally disproportional even relative to the sorts of capital that established AAA studios are able to pull.

Star Citizen is not THAT special. I wonder if there is some exit strategy at play here.

Star Citizen is actually very special. Even if the game fails, I'm pretty sure they will have no problem at all to sell their technology to someone else.

The article is a tiny bit misleading. Yes, the alpha 3.3 did add face over IP and ships and stuff like that, but the main reason people are revisiting it right now is the new container streaming. Suddenly the game has *good fps* for the very first time in almost *all* situations. This is the first time, the game is *really* playable for a majority of players. This is a big thing, because if this tech is 100% completed (which it still isn't right now), they will have no problems with increasing the scope of the universe to whatever size they want. This is not a dream, you can actually see this ingame right now... and the fps won't tank like crazy.

I know this doesn't sound like THAT much, as other games have world streaming as well, but no other game allows you to start on a space station, walk around that station, board a ship, fly around a planet that is bigger than any other game world (except Daggerfall), land on said planet, get a ground vehicle, drive anywhere on said huge planet, get back into a ship, fly to another planet 1 billion kilometers away and do exactly the same, all the while being able to meet other players at any time.

Sure, in the end the game can still suck and be super boring, but the tech is very impressive.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 5

I know this doesn't sound like THAT much, as other games have world streaming as well, but no other game allows you to start on a space station, walk around that station, board a ship, fly around a planet that is bigger than any other game world (except Daggerfall), land on said planet, get a ground vehicle, drive anywhere on said huge planet, get back into a ship, fly to another planet 1 billion kilometers away and do exactly the same, all the while being able to meet other players at any time.

Sure, in the end the game can still suck and be super boring, but the tech is very impressive.

That sounds awesome and something I will certainly not have the time (or focus) for. Good to know we're close to solving the Fermi paradox, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Star Citizen is actually very special. Even if the game fails, I'm pretty sure they will have no problem at all to sell their technology to someone else.

The article is a tiny bit misleading. Yes, the alpha 3.3 did add face over IP and ships and stuff like that, but the main reason people are revisiting it right now is the new container streaming. Suddenly the game has *good fps* for the very first time in almost *all* situations. This is the first time, the game is *really* playable for a majority of players. This is a big thing, because if this tech is 100% completed (which it still isn't right now), they will have no problems with increasing the scope of the universe to whatever size they want. This is not a dream, you can actually see this ingame right now... and the fps won't tank like crazy.

Yeah, to my disappointment the game probably won't end up burning and being a disaster for Roberts.  Suppose it can live on with EVE like numbers, Roberts must have that many dedicated fanboys :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/328625/Red_Dead_Redemption_2_team_was_crunching_100hour_weeks_says_Dan_Houser.php

Following that, Houser says that crunch isn't mandated or expected at Rockstar: "Across the whole company, we have some senior people who work very hard purely because they’re passionate about a project, or their particular work, and we believe that passion shows in the games we release.

"But that additional effort is a choice, and we don’t ask or expect anyone to work anything like this. Lots of other senior people work in an entirely different way and are just as productive – I’m just not one of them! No one, senior or junior, is ever forced to work hard. I believe we go to great lengths to run a business that cares about its people, and to make the company a great place for them to work.”

Yep.