RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

I hadn't played Borderlands 2 until this summer, and when playing, it really struck me, almost like a premonition, that this is what D4 will be like:

in 3D, obviously with updated funky graphics, and just as multiplayer-friendly, but with even more breadth and cunning monetization.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I hadn't played Borderlands 2 until this summer, and when playing, it really struck me, almost like a premonition, that this is what D4 will be like:

in 3D, obviously with updated funky graphics, and just as multiplayer-friendly, but with even more breadth and cunning monetization.

D4 will have 4 billion melee weapons and all of them will suck. :p Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Looks like the remaining Telltale members working on Minecraft for Netflix were let go as well.

https://twitter.com/anameformyself/status/1047930803634630657

Edit: Correction, not all of the skeleton crew were let go. So I can't even say if it's Minecraft or not.

https://twitter.com/anameformyself/status/1047975335235481600

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

D4 will have 4 billion melee weapons and all of them will suck. :p

D4 will have loot boxes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

D4 will have 4 billion melee weapons and all of them will suck. :p

D4 will have loot boxes.

Except in my country, *cough* ;)

On that note, on the FIFA lootboxes:

• Like 2

Brace yourselves, we got another hot lawsuit on our hands

What else is new?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

A very interesting video on what's the new "normal" and what isn't.

To be immersed for several hundred hours is to be addicted.

An engaging community is more important than a good story and good gameplay

And other great points on how social aspect has improved the industry.

All that said, I am still a single player mainist, don't see it dying anytime soon - especially since single player games make the most money.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Well, one can argue that I am playing FNV and ArmA3 for years now. These two titles are the ones that kept me interested for the longest time.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9kxeb8/cd_project_red_is_getting_sued_by_the_author_of/e743lm3/

Here's Brandon Sanderson's "take" on the Witcher royalties debacle.

The author sounds like a jerk.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In fact, the more I read about it, the more angry I get at the guy's greed.  They offered him a royalty deal at the beginning, but he turned it down for a lump sum because he didn't think they'd have any success with the game.  But now that it's successful, he suddenly wants that royalty deal he turned down?  Idiot.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree, the smart thing would be to use the newfound fame and release more books. But I wouldn't be surprised if he sold the translation rights for all his future works for a lump sum too.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

But didn't he said himself that he doesn't want to write any more witcher stuff, since so many people hated the ending of his saga?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

But didn't he said himself that he doesn't want to write any more witcher stuff, since so many people hated the ending of his saga?

Write new things.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

More importantly...

In fact, the more I read about it, the more angry I get at the guy's greed. They offered him a royalty deal at the beginning, but he turned it down for a lump sum because he didn't think they'd have any success with the game. But now that it's successful, he suddenly wants that royalty deal he turned down? Idiot.

He also said in the lawsuit he would show how CDPR "scammed" him if they didn't settle immediately, so CDPR released all information about said deal including the bit about him turning down royalties.

He has also previously said that his books are better than the games, the games suck/are worthless, and that the games didn't make his books popular at all.

All told, he's likely the Polish author version of George Lucas, lacking any skill with money.

A very interesting video on what's the new "normal" and what isn't.

To be immersed for several hundred hours is to be addicted.

An engaging community is more important than a good story and good gameplay

And other great points on how social aspect has improved the industry.

All that said, I am still a single player mainist, don't see it dying anytime soon - especially since single player games make the most money.

I felt the video never actually got to the point of, you know, making a point.

He throws a bunch of theses out there but doesn't actually follow up on them. Hell, he doesn't even see the need of breaking down what addiction is when making a video about...addiction. I'd say it is rather important to know what someone considers to be addiction when you want to have a conversation about it...

Oh and someone suffering from anxiety and mood disorders that plays a lot of videogames (bordering on "every waking minute") isn't necessarily anywhere close to addicted and it doesn't need to be a "coping mechanism" either. Many games are so grindy and require so little energy to play that they're a perfect time waster when one's energy levels are near zero and one's emotions have flatlined. The other option in that case is often just laying in bed and staring at the ceiling for the same amount of time. Games in such a case, especially when they're MMOs or the like, allow one to cling to some modicum of social interaction.

Edited by marelooke

Last book is Witcher prequel "Season of Storms".

... Which also wasn't very good.

I tried reading some of his books after I'd played the games.  I thought they were pretty trash.  Essentially, I think CDPR infused interesting stories/characters into a world that was mundanely written by the original author.

It's no wonder he's trying to get them to pay him royalties for their work.  His writing isn't good enough for him to earn his own fortune selling his books.

Uh, I don't think George Lucas has money problems.

Never said he did, it's the Polish author who made a stupid deal for the rights to his IP. Meanwhile Lucas made a steal selling the rights to his numerous times.

They both have an unfortunate lack of quality with their later works.