RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

They aren't using randomly generated dungeons or anything, they have to place every asset by hand. Given that the atmospheric storytelling is one of Bethesda's strengths, and the new area is supposed to be bigger than Boston, I just don't see the problem. Heck, I'd go so far as to say they created too many assets for Fallout 4 NOT to reuse them in future titles. It's not like I ever ran out of weird places to explore in that game, it was massive. I found myself more fatigued at having too much to do than anything else.

They aren't using randomly generated dungeons or anything, they have to place every asset by hand. Given that the atmospheric storytelling is one of Bethesda's strengths, and the new area is supposed to be bigger than Boston, I just don't see the problem. Heck, I'd go so far as to say they created too many assets for Fallout 4 NOT to reuse them in future titles. It's not like I ever ran out of weird places to explore in that game, it was massive. I found myself more fatigued at having too much to do than anything else.

Is there any footage from inside areas of FO76, other than the titular Vault? I've heard it said that there isn't any (yet, anyway) and that there just not might be any real dungeons the way we're used to from Bethesda's Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games. Would explain the bigger map too as I doubt they'd put the amount of work in to basically build a Fallout 5 as a multiplayer experiment when most of that team is likely working on TES VI...

Edited by marelooke

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Cities Skylines Industries DLC is out

Looks like it is worth grabbing on sale.  DLCs for this game always seem like they should have been in the base game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DLCs for this game always seem like they should have been in the base game.

Eh, I sure wouldn't have expected all that in the base game. It would have blown the game out of scope, especially with the uncertain success in the very beginning.

You should see it this way: Better for them to support the game longer, they could as well just have crammed all that into a new game and asked $60 for it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The DLCs I have played don't seem like they'd be that much change to scope.  At least they are getting better, the first three were pretty lackluster (I still wasted money on them on discount still, hah).   Suppose you do have to look at it in the way you suggest for Paradox games :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Suppose you do have to look at it in the way you suggest for Paradox games :p

Paradox Development Studio: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love DLC. I don't know about non Paradox-developed games, though. The DLC announcement for BATTLETECH seemed somewhat lackluster feature-wise for example, and one of the big points (multi-mission "flashpoints") had already been done by mods.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

https://kotaku.com/inside-rockstar-games-culture-of-crunch-1829936466

In conversations and e-mails, six current and former employees all independently used the term “culture of fear” to describe their experiences at Rockstar, in large part because of that overtime pressure. “There is a lot of fear at Rockstar,” said a former employee, “fear of getting fired, fear of under-performing, fear of getting yelled at, fear of delivering a ****ty game. For some people fear is a great motivator, for others it just incites rebellion.” Some current employees, when asked, said they’d experienced nothing like this, noting that it would all be dependent on their department and individual manager. But those who have worked in several of Rockstar’s offices have described feeling like they had to be in the office as much as possible out of fear of getting yelled at, having their bonuses docked, or losing their job
  • Like 1

Seems like not everyone did.  Some studios are treated better than others, I guess.

Rockstar Games is headquarted out of NY, NY. I cant see how they could avoid paying employees unless they were interns. Its the law afaik.

Well... Take-Two is and so is the corporate head quarters of Rockstar. Rockstar is really more of a "label/imprint" of Take-Two. Most of the development though happens in Scotland, England, and San Diego.

By law, in the US, every hour after 40 in a week has to be at least 1.5X. I say at least as if anyone pays 2X for overtime any more. Those days died with the 2008 crash. :(

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

By law, in the US, every hour after 40 in a week has to be at least 1.5X. I say at least as if anyone pays 2X for overtime any more. Those days died with the 2008 crash. :(

Edit: Of course, it's different for me since I get paid by the mile. I work well over 40 hours every week and don't get paid any extra. Maybe they found a loophole like that?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I thought salary meant you don't get overtime pay?

Depends on the place.

Here you go. Salaried people run that risk. Cray! Dont get mad:

Some Rockstar staff said they were paid annual salaries, so they didn’t get any extra money for putting in hours on top of their standard schedules. Others said they were paid hourly, although several said they’d compared their wages to those co-workers making annual salaries and found that they’d have to work overtime just to make the same amount. (The people on annual salaries tended to be more senior, so it follows that they were paid more.)

I just figured they were overtime exempt for whatever reason

Anyways, LOTRO is doing a Legendary Server

We are excited to announce a new way to experience The Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Worlds! Relive the tales of Middle-earth, chapter by chapter, visiting iconic locations and adventuring with new friends - or reconnecting with old ones - on the path of Frodo, Gandalf, and the Fellowship of the Ring.

Join us this fall on a Legendary World and make a fresh start with a brand new character; see Tolkien's bustling realm anew, whether for your first or fiftieth time. Initially, the Legendary World will begin at the very start of the game and run through Angmar, then open new regions and levels over time. Relive the legend: where everyone is here and the story is now.

Look for more information about this subscriber-only experience coming soon on www.lotro.com and on social media.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Or maybe there are no overtime / worker protections in the EU? :lol: Good one! Those guys are regulated out the wazoo. I think its more likely a case of "waa, they work us to long, even though we are paid for it."

Well, actually EU law just regulates how much overtime you're allowed to do, not how you're compensated for it. I don't get paid for overtime. I do get a lump sum bonus payment for all overtime rendered (monthly) and am allowed to use overtime as equal comp time.

There are also some exceptions in my work contract. I do get paid overtime for weekends and holidays assuming the overtime is necessary, e.g. crunchtime to meet deadlinesThis, however, exceptions put in place the company as incentives, not mandatory by law.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Or maybe there are no overtime / worker protections in the EU? :lol: Good one! Those guys are regulated out the wazoo. I think its more likely a case of "waa, they work us to long, even though we are paid for it."

Oh, sure. There's plenty of overtime regulation and worker protections. They just aren't enforced for ****. Last place I worked at had several complaints filed against them for illegal shifts and other shenanigans. Never heard back, inspectors never showed up, and everything went on business as usual. In some sectors (advertising/PR for instance), it's common that you literally never know when you're getting off work on a given day, and you'll get laughed out the office if you demand compensation.

Regulation schmegulation.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So much for gaming news....

Politics.

Allow me to bring you all back to enlightenment.

This is a beautiful box and it's a plus because since Diablo 3 is better than Diablo 1 and 2, being portable and playable with a better u.i, a wheel inventory and better/more precise controls. It's a yes for any rpg fan :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It doesn't help that working on video games is basically a dream job for people, so companies like Rockstar basically have their pick of young idealistic talent to burn out and make bitter about the world.  :rolleyes:

Too bad the last game is one of my favorites of all time, crank out that majestic sequel worthy title at any cost! Chip chip cheerio!

• Like 1

It doesn't help that working on video games is basically a dream job for people, so companies like Rockstar basically have their pick of young idealistic talent to burn out and make bitter about the world.  :rolleyes:

Too bad the last game is one of my favorites of all time, crank out that majestic sequel worthy title at any cost! Chip chip cheerio!

Another bummer, their soul eating machine clearly churns out a superior product. :p

• Like 1