Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

I keep seeing stuff about John Carter, the big box office bomb and the critics scathing reviews of it being unimaginative, so I rewatched it, and dang it, I have to say I enjoy that pulpy sci-fi adventure romp.

It flopped because the Director got to lead the ad campaign for it, and he was a total fanboy who thought John Carter was as familiar in peoples homes as Batman was so he ran the hype train in a terrible manner.

And all the critics seem to have forgotten that the "unimaginative" they like to quote is because the story created half the cliches that have been used for the last 70 years in sci-fi.

Okay, when doing an old classic you might want to give some thought to that, but don't say it's unoriginal and "been seen before" when it created the damn concepts.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And all the critics seem to have forgotten that the "unimaginative" they like to quote is because the story created half the cliches that have been used for the last 70 years in sci-fi.

Okay, when doing an old classic you might want to give some thought to that, but don't say it's unoriginal and "been seen before" when it created the damn concepts.

I disagree, on the sheer grounds that the John Carter *film* is not the same work as the novels it was based on, and thus as a new adaptation or transformation of that source material it could have looked for ways into making the story feel fresh or surprising to its audience, and simply didn't. Furthermore I'm pretty sure the critics were well aware of the source material's influence on sci-fi and were not calling the film "unimaginative" based on its story or clichés but merely in the utterly non-descript and formulaic fashion it was brought to the screen - the film didn't do anything to really stand out from the slew of typical sci-fi epics and that is especially what made it suffer, and what ultimately made it such a bland film. Personally I found it enjoyable enough, but I can definitely see how this could be and even *should* be labelled as unimaginative because as an adaptation and as a film made and released in 2012 it is just that.

This is a good review of it too, and the preliminary listener comments are spot-on:

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I found it boring. I tried watching it and about half way through it was enough. I just stopped. Haven't finished.It wa spure gibberish and the lead was awful.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I keep seeing stuff about John Carter, the big box office bomb and the critics scathing reviews of it being unimaginative, so I rewatched it, and dang it, I have to say I enjoy that pulpy sci-fi adventure romp.

It flopped because the Director got to lead the ad campaign for it, and he was a total fanboy who thought John Carter was as familiar in peoples homes as Batman was so he ran the hype train in a terrible manner.

I loved John Carter. Back when Blockbuster was around, I tried renting it from them and they told me they were out because people kept buying their copies.

So I just went out and bought my own. Watched it twice within the first week.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't think John Carter was all that bad, wasn't phenomenal by any means but not as nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

Crazy to think the main actor was also David Koresh in "Waco", huh?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Apparently, the Big Trouble in Little China remake with Dwayne Johnson isn't actually going to be a remake. They're continuing with the universe, the events of the original Big Trouble will have happened in the past, and Dwayne isn't going to be playing Burton but a new character.

Details and rumours continue to fly...

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm watching it now. It's not capturing the magic of his prequel analysis, I think it's too nitpicky to avoid going over the ground everyone else tread about what's wrong with it, but I'm always up for complaining about stuff I don't like.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Some indie coming of age flick called 'Kings of Summer' that would have been mediocre if not for one of the kids being one of the most balls to the wall hilariously insane characters I've seen. It's like if you took a standard soppy indie flick and then let cartoon characters mentally control a single guy.

Yeah, I'm watching it now. It's not capturing the magic of his prequel analysis, I think it's too nitpicky to avoid going over the ground everyone else tread about what's wrong with it, but I'm always up for complaining about stuff I don't like.

Well to be fair I doubt any of the Plinkett reviews will ever capture the magic of the prequel reviews (or technically the Star Trek ones which came first). I do agree with a lot of Mike's points though. Not much of a surprise as I walked out of the theatre hating the film.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Apparently, the Big Trouble in Little China remake with Dwayne Johnson isn't actually going to be a remake. They're continuing with the universe, the events of the original Big Trouble will have happened in the past, and Dwayne isn't going to be playing Burton but a new character.

Details and rumours continue to fly...

If God was merciful I would be dead right now.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thanks again for the suggestions you guys!

I think that my Saturday night will be quite an entertaining one

So what did you end up watching and how did you like what you saw? :)

I ended up watching your suggestion, Army of Darkness. Weird and outdated effects, Comical writing, and bizarre sound effects... It was all I ever wanted.

Thank you majestic!  :lol:

• Like 2

I ended up watching your suggestion, Army of Darkness. Weird and outdated effects, Comical writing, and bizarre sound effects... It was all I ever wanted.

If you enjoyed it, you might like to know that they then made a tv series 20 years on that follows on what happens to Ash... It's currently in it's third season now.

• Like 1

He also starred in an X-Files episode that really fit him to a tee titled Terms of Endearment. I remember it well since it came after How The Ghosts Stole Christmas which is probably one of the best bottle-episodes ever made and I thought they might still turn the ship around... but eh, the ship had long sailed off into the sunset at that point.

Some silly critics complained about the plot but what the hell, you don't invite Ash to guest star on your show and then play it straight. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

If you enjoyed it, you might like to know that they then made a tv series 20 years on that follows on what happens to Ash... It's currently in it's third season now.

Ash vs Evil Dead may be showing its 3rd season in the UK, but it is unfortunately very much cancelled.

Heh. The fun of trying to explain Watership Down to a Mexican, and that it's considered a children's classic in England...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S26LA8Bk14

I remember watching that as a kid. The only part that freaked me out was when one of the rabbits was recounting the wonderful story of the burrow becoming sealed up by humans.

Thank you majestic! :lol:

And then it was cancelled.

The Plinkett review pointed out how TLJ seemed to be made like a comedy film, and it really does seem that way. Every single beat in the first half of the film from the lightsaber, the momma joke, Finn walking up, etc would work in a comedy film not related to Star Wars and not directed by Rian Johnson.

I get the feeling Johnson had little to no oversite until the editing process began and Disney finally saw how much of a **** up Johnson had produced and Lucasfilm had allowed.

We also had the firing of Colin Trevorrow from Episode 9, which was originally reported to be because of how difficult he is to work with, but it later came out that he protested the way Luke was treated in TLJ because he wanted to use Luke as one of the main heroes. We also have Daisy Riddley saying that Johnson discarded all of the notes that Abrams had left for Episode 8, which later turned into there were no notes; Mark Hammil's continued protesting over how he hated the way Johnson wrote Luke; the extreme drop off in ticket sales the second week; the poor turn out in China; and finally the firing of Lord and Miller from Solo.

There was probably some belief that Solo would be able to stand on it's own, but the response Disney/Lucasfilm gave to the negative response of TLJ likely ended up contributing to Solo bombing. Which leaves Disney trying to figure out a way to make sure the Star Wars brand recovers, but since they seem to be placing all of their eggs in one basket by supporting Episode 9 over other spin off movies they may fail spectacularly.

• Like 1