Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

ReAnimator perhaps? Though what do you mean by 'cheesy' exactly?

I guess what I am looking for a flick that is little outdated with content that hasn't aged well, in hilarious or awful ways. I am sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'd recommend Army of Darkness. It's intentionally campy and has a lot of comedy though.

Evil Dead hasn't aged that well, even with the remaster, but that was shot on a zero budget (it looks cheesy but is still a good horror film).

So I'll go and, uhm, blaspheme a bit: Try the original Poltergeist. The special effects aren't great any more and those actors, decorations and the hairdos? Oh boy. That's almost enough to kill any 80ies nostalgia.

And finally, as an avid RedLetterMedia fan, try anything by Len Kabasinksi. Except Horse Ninja, that bootleg is just awful. :)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Bad Taste and Brain Dead (/ Dead Alive, depending on location). Two Peter Jackson classics from the time he was actually good his early schlock phase. Bad Taste certainly fits hilarious and awful, though it hasn't so much not aged well as started life looking like it was made with no budget, since it was made with no budget.

(Vaguely related, but I can also report that the What We Do In the Shadows spin off Wellington Paranormal is pretty sweet. They even had one of the vampires (not Jemaine) in this week's ep)

• Like 1

Man, am I glad I skipped Deadpool 2 in theatres. Why did it play so much straight? Some fantastic action scenes but that wasn't why I was there. So few laughs!

Also such gratuitous fridging. I actually groaned when it happened. They really couldn't make Deadpool work without resorting to such a cliche? They didn't even make fun of it. They played it for drama.

Watched the new Mission Impossible at my girlfriend's behest. Vaguely amused at the scenes in the end that are supposed to take place in India, but is clearly in Norway (Pulpit Rock/Preikestolen).

As for the film it was alright, but you get the feeling you've seen it all before. Mildly entertaining, but not really worth the price of admission.

Anyone see The Meg yet? Seems to have been popular/made a ton of money over the weekend. I guess people were in the mood for a shark movie. I've liked a couple indie-shark films in recentish years, I wonder how this one, with its more action vibe (vs. slow suspense) will be.

Nothing beats Jaws tho ... not yet anyway.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As for the film it was alright, but you get the feeling you've seen it all before. Mildly entertaining, but not really worth the price of admission.

Good streaming fodder, then. I've watched King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and it was entertaining (I like Guy Ritchie's work in general), but I agree it was nothing special. Wish it was something like Interstella 5555, except set to a power metal soundtrack (think Symphonies-era Rhapsody of Fire or classic Manowar).

Anyone see The Meg yet?

Just got out from seeing it, I loved it. I had no idea it would actually do well, despite the fact that it has a great casting, then again, Ruby Rose (who I adore) is sure to bring in girls/women and Jason Statham is a favorite among the guys.

Personally I enjoyed it more than Jaws and Deep Blue Sea but I think that's because I had been waiting for a movie based on a Megaladon for quite some time. There are alot of shots in the movie that make it suspenseful, the part in the trailer in which she sees the shark behind her is that much more impactful with the added context.

It's more action than science, once the movie gets going it's all about the shark and less about the people which (in my opinion) is what a creature feature should be anyway. It's the best creature feature since Anaconda and Lake Placid. The vibe is more like those movies than Jaws, if ya know what I mean. Another great thing about The Meg is that the shark in no way look cgi, they look real. Fake looking or cgi sharks are usually thr biggest problem of modern shark films but now I think The Meg proves we're past that bad era.

Jason Statham called it "The Jurassic Park with Sharks".

I've seen my fair share of indie shark films but the only one to really get my attention was an Australian film called BAIT.

https://youtu.be/s5-5PAIWO2o

So I'd recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Sharks are my favorite animals but I really can't stand Sharknado, Ghost Shark or things like that. Syfy channel had a few great shark movies that I can't remember and they were decent.

Edit: The Shallows and Shark Night were great shark movies too, if you haven't seen them. Though Shark Night is like a slasher vibe film (replacing the slasher with a shark of course).

Edit: 47 Meters Down with Mandy Moore was pretty good albiet weird ending on that one.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Got around to catching Deadpool 2.

Plenty of entertaining gags, cameo's and amusing 4th wall breakage. Worth a watch, but storywise it falls slightly short of the first film. In some ways it feels more like a story put together to give an excuse to run through those set pieces and put in those jokes.

The X-Men cameo quietly shutting a door so he won't notice them did make me chuckle.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Interestingly I thought Deadpool 2 was a lot better than the first movie. Guess I can also call it an ok-ish Marvel movie, because I didn't fell asleep near the end... Usually I'm sleeping at the end of Marvel movies.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Alpha sure has very different trailers :lol:

then

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got a chance to watch The Domestics. It's essentially a post-apocalyptic love story about a couple trying to get to Milwaukee, along the way they battle gangs in a struggle to survive.

Really good take, a different spin on the usual Mad Max formula.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

BlacKkKlansman is a sublime film. The first trailer really does not do it justice, which sold it more as a "what if" comedy film. Coupled with it's trailer coming out around the same time as Sorry To Bother You, another comedy that seemingly played with the same ideas and had a much stronger trailer. What I got was a very stylized, poignant and powerful biographical film.

Thanks again for the suggestions you guys!

I think that my Saturday night will be quite an entertaining one

So what did you end up watching and how did you like what you saw? :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Deadpool 2 Super Duper Cut

I felt that the first act of the theatrical cut was pretty weak, with the movie only picking up with X-Force. The Super Duper Cut fixes that problem with new scenes of Deadpool in the X-Mansion and Russel in the orphanage.

The only weak point of this cut is the early action scenes, the montage of him going around the world killing bad guys, is made too long. Overall, it's definitely my preferred version.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."