Hi, I searched for all unique weapons via console just to get an idea what my first character (after hours of restarteritis) wants to specialize in.

While there are several (awesome) unique great swords and especially lots of sabres (like - a LOT of unique sabres) there are only two morning stars, only one Pollaxe (and one soulbound), two pikes and so on. Most weapon types besides great swords and sabres only seem to have two uniques.

I guess this is due to the new enchantment system - all enchantments are unique as well and require a lot of work, so it's understandable that there are less unique weapons. But why are they so weirdly distributed? Or did I miss some weapons that maybe don't follow the naming pattern?

By the way: you can't go wrong with a "Devoted to great sword" in Deadfire. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Swords have loads? Good. I almost picked devoted to sabre just because I knew that they were almost guaranteed to get a lot of love, I think they are the dev's favorite weapon type.

Two is really ****ty. 4-5 uniques at least per weapon type is more like it.

It's a bit irritating, I wish they would split the load a bit. How many greatswords does anybody need?

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Yeah, I could have bet money on this, tbh. I mean, let's face it swords and greatswords are THE staple fantasy weapons, arguably. Sabres would also be a sure-fire bet, what with the pirate theme of the game and all. What does surprise me is that battle axes (another staple) are very poorly represented in both PoE's so far. But yeah, a Devoted/Shattered Pillar focused on sabres and dual-wielding just seems like a stupidly brutal choice for mince-meating through the game.

can someone maybe link/post the exact numbers?

sabre seem kinda getting a lot of love - already in poe1...also their modal seems good compared to swords...the deflection malus seems really large for the bonus you get

but still, maybe you go devoted with greatsword and then you find the sword or sabre that would perfectly fit your build...still 1:3 chance  :banghead:

we also don't know yet if all the uniques are really useable weapons or maybe rather story pieces...and as a "story unique weapon" swords and sabres seem the logical choice

Edited by Nemesis7884

Estocs also have a healthy number of good uniques. 1H swords have a healthy number, but they aren’t as good as the sabres, great swords, or estocs.

The pollaxes are two but they are admittedly pretty cool.

Armors also don’t have a lot of uniques.

In general I believe this is because uniques in DF are *actually* unique and take longer to design and implement (unique abilities with unique upgrading paths for each.)

I was surprised not to find the flaming sword Josh showcased on Pallegina in an early tweet.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hi, I searched for all unique weapons via console just to get an idea what my first character (after hours of restarteritis) wants to specialize in.

While there are several (awesome) unique great swords and especially lots of sabres (like - a LOT of unique sabres) there are only two morning stars, only one Pollaxe (and one soulbound), two pikes and so on. Most weapon types besides great swords and sabres only seem to have two uniques.

I guess this is due to the new enchantment system - all enchantments are unique as well and require a lot of work, so it's understandable that there are less unique weapons. But why are they so weirdly distributed? Or did I miss some weapons that maybe don't follow the naming pattern?

By the way: you can't go wrong with a "Devoted to great sword" in Deadfire. ;)

Hi, can you please share what console command you are using? i would like to make a devoted and thing that stopped me so far is the pain of beeing stuck in one weapon choice.

Also for a fighter that wants to do damage but also beeing tanky, what is the best choice between 2h, 1h+shield, 2x1h or 1h alone?

How did you go about checking? I tried doing this myself, but couldn't find what the item names are. Seems as if the items are stored in bundles as opposed to individual .unity3d files.

Use the command "FindGameData X" where X is a string e.g. "FindGameData Great_Sword" will list all game data with "Great_Sword" as part of its string.

In General unique weapons are all labelled as "X_U_Y" where X is the weapon type (e.g. "Great_Sword") and Y is the name of the weapon.

• Like 3

How did you go about checking? I tried doing this myself, but couldn't find what the item names are. Seems as if the items are stored in bundles as opposed to individual .unity3d files.

Use the command "FindGameData X" where X is a string e.g. "FindGameData Great_Sword" will list all game data with "Great_Sword" as part of its string.

In General unique weapons are all labelled as "X_U_Y" where X is the weapon type (e.g. "Great_Sword") and Y is the name of the weapon.

Nice. Thanks.

It could also be people that backed at the level to create a weapon.  I know I did, and I avoided swords like the plague.  I figured everyone and their mom would make a Sword. 

I made a Flail.  Sungrazer.  You are welcome.  :p

• Like 8

More axes 1 and 2 handed would be cool. This issue kinda reminds me of the portrait-race imbalance, where some races have many options and others none... I'd imagine that there is lots of work involved, so I'm not asking for equal amounts, but if you figure, say 5 greatswords are a good number then there should around 3 options of all the other weapon types. That or drop the idea of having so many different weapon types because if there are no choices what's the point offering them as an option. :)

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I made a Flail.  Sungrazer.  You are welcome.  :p

On that topic flails are a pretty well represented class (I think there are four).

I have been using one on my Troubadour/Rogue.  Toggle the modal, Strike the Bell (one handed weapon), -25 Reflex debuff applied, and cast a fully upgraded Thrice Was She Wronged while StB dot is going.  3 hits of 25 damage in an AoE, and then the little chain lightning effect comes out to dish out more.  Things explode.  Lots of fun to get 2 or so gibs in a spell.  Never mind when I use Empower, and my plus 1 power level necklace.  I wish I would have gone Nature Godlike, though.  I always feel like not playing Godlike first.  That way I can notice the reactions.  Eh, I will play this build again.  I really enjoy it. 

I am glad there are a few flails.  I have been a fan of them in my RPGs for years. 

• Like 2

Haven't consoled anything but 1h swords seem to be abundant, at least early. You get one right at the digsite and then two amazing 1h swords quite easily once you hit Neketaka (1500gp to repair Whisper) and the talking sword, which can immediately be fully upgraded (which btw cancels Int afflictions for you Berserkers) if you know where to find her original owner

Edited by PIP-Clownboy
  • Like 1