Happy Christmas!

Epaminondas

I frequent online places irregularly over the past several years. I guess mostly because I'm a coward. However, I promised myself a long time ago that, should I be in an online community on Christmas, I would always wish everyone a Happy Christmas. This isn't a challenge. This isn't some flaunting of my beliefs in your face. I don't care if you're Christian and I have lived where Christianity is not the dominant religion. I've also had my own brand of Christianity called "the Whore of Babylon." Sadly, while this is a standard boiler plate, it's easier to get this out so I don't have to respond to snarkiness later. I won't. Free reign and I almost certainly won't even resent anyone, although I will probably hold outright trawling as contemptible. I likely won't even respond in this thread.

That said, Happy Christmas! From the bottom of my heart, I hope the day finds you all in good health, in great spirits, and happy. The world is and has always been imperfect, but it's also a beautiful place and, in my experience, is filled with beautiful people. I lived for quite some time in a place where it has been Christmas already for several hours and I'm not sure what my schedule will be until it is Christmas here in less than twenty-four hours, but I think the world and its inhabitants deserve a lot less grief and a little more happiness. So, for all of you out there, whatever your religion or lack thereof, Happy Christmas. May the God I know in my heart to exist look down upon you with kindness. May He forgive your shortcomings and give you peace. May the Lord who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life grant you joy and contentment all the days of your life. May you feel some stirring in your soul to find the good inside yourself and act upon it in accordance with your conscience. ...And may He forgive me for sounding like such a pompous and arrogant putz as I make this post.

• Like 5

χαίρετε

And a very merry new year to you, too!

• Like 5

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Merry Christmas everybody, to me its that one time of the year, when people find it just that bit easier to smile at a stranger, be a little more courteous and a little more hopeful for the coming year, I hope everybody here experiences a little bit of each of those in the coming days :)

• Like 1

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Merry Christmas everyone. Another year of being entertained with light (and sometimes serious) discussions and marveling at the antics of the collection of characters that has somehow gathered on the WoT forum of a small game developers web site. I hope it's a happy time for all of you. Because you all deserve it!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Merry Christmas everybody. Our family Christmas Eve plans fell through since the host is sick, so we will be spending the evening at home making enchiladas, and I plan on cracking open my Goose Island Bourbon Country Stout. Then I've got a few things to build in the middle of the night. :p

Merry Christmas everyone except Hurlshot. **** that guy for not sharing enchiladas or beer.

• Like 8

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Had my traditional Christmas Eve steak, most often the only one I have all year because the truth is I don't really fancy steak all that much. I prefer a roast or bulgogi if I'm to eat beef. For over 40 years, for various reasons, I've kept up a tradition that started in my childhood. Another tradition: we went to see my beautiful niece play a shepherd angel in the Christmas pageant. At fourteen, this is probably her last one.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I was especially touched by Guard Dog's sentiments, but I'm a big softy. If I were to find a permanent place in the maelstrom we call the 'internets,' this would be the place. Yeah, it's like Chalmun's Cantina, but that's what gives it character.

χαίρετε

Walsingham whipped this up, which made my Christmas Eve. Feel free to sing along:

On his first day Ascending my Emperor gave to me
A sense of heroic duty!

(and so on until)

On his twelfth day Ascending my Emperor gave to me
Twelve fleets converging
Eleven landing dropships
Ten chaos cultists
Nine eldar weeping
Eight orks a-slaying
Seven traitor guardsmen
Six growling mutants
FIVE SPAAAACE MAAARIIINES!
Four sharp knives
Three spare mags
Two bolt pistols
And a SENSE OF HEROIC DUTY!
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Some pictures from my Xmas vacation down to Florida.  First, a brief stop in Savannah.  It was foggy, but I took some pictures of River Street anyway:

h4dVVcA.jpg

O8njled.jpg

hQ3mWBS.jpg

41tuN0J.jpg

Then pictures from my final destination, Singer Island:

bEpe64o.jpg

iStN0S0.jpg

Lz3c1fQ.jpg

RORWiAq.jpg

Fun fact: Our esteemed PotUS has a residence on Singer Island.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Didn't watched Die Hard on purpose, because this year for whatever reason, everyone kept talking about it just too much. Really turned me off of it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Didn't watched Die Hard on purpose, because this year for whatever reason, everyone kept talking about it just too much. Really turned me off of it.

You should've gone for Lethal Weapon then. :)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken